Sombra Labs - SL-8 and Lepton-6 Receiver Review - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jan 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Been there and done that on DSP transmitter recognition and buddy boxes, too. The more unlike the slave transmitter is from the master the less likely it will work. I find, for example, using a Multiplex Pico as the buddy box on my Evo works, but control response is slowed a little bit (this with Berg - I don't recall what I've tried along those lines with Sombra other than I did find some combos that worked OK). The folks that run Hitec and Futaba combos are clearly out of luck unless they can turn this feature off. Sombra now gives the option.
BEC, what exactly did you mean by the Hitec and Futaba mention?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2009, 11:09 AM
Suspended Account
I used the SL-8 with an Optic 6 and loved it: had I not already starting moving to Spektrum, I'd have continued this route!
Jan 30, 2009, 11:43 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL
he was talking about DSP with respect to buddy-boxing... the DSP recognises the Tx signal and locks out other sets, and for buddy boxes this is bad because you need the other Tx signal. SombraLabs can turn this off and work fine, BEC was saying that some combos of like-brand Tx's with Bergs can work, but those that pair a Hitec Tx and a Futaba Tx are out of luck and will simply lock out one of the Tx's and hence buddy-box pointless.
Jan 31, 2009, 01:05 AM
Where can I buy these receivers guys, thanks.
Jan 31, 2009, 01:36 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplopes
Where can I buy these receivers guys, thanks.
Direct from Sombra Labs in Canada...

http://www.sombralabs.com/store/home.php

...or from one of their vendors listed on this page here...

http://www.sombralabs.com/vendors.php
Jan 31, 2009, 02:36 AM
BEC
BEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL
As Arron said.... mixing transmitter brands in a buddy box setup with a DSP receiver (such as a Berg or earlier Sombras) is a recipe for a setup that does not work. That is why the option to turn off DSP is in this latest product from Sombra - so that you can make such combinations functional again.
Jan 31, 2009, 02:00 PM
Nice review, thanks!

You renewed my interest in these. I had some awhile back, but looking through old threads, performance and service got mixed reviews.

Do you know if these are improved versions? Maybe they fixed some issues, etc...
Feb 01, 2009, 02:31 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman_74
Nice review, thanks!

You renewed my interest in these. I had some awhile back, but looking through old threads, performance and service got mixed reviews.

Do you know if these are improved versions? Maybe they fixed some issues, etc...
I am unsure as to the reasons why these superseded the shadow receivers and what the do or don't do better. have you given them a range test yourself?...
Feb 02, 2009, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
I am unsure as to the reasons why these superseded the shadow receivers and what the do or don't do better. have you given them a range test yourself?...
No, I never owned any. When I said I had some I was referring to my interest. Sorry if I worded it awkwardly.

The posts I saw using the search feature weren't just referring to the Shadow models as far as I can tell.
Feb 02, 2009, 11:46 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman_74
No, I never owned any. When I said I had some I was referring to my interest. Sorry if I worded it awkwardly.

The posts I saw using the search feature weren't just referring to the Shadow models as far as I can tell.
I see... ya, then I was in the same boat with respect to the interest. But jumping on these latest Rx's and doing the testing, I can't fault them with respect to results.

They're easily my favorite Rx's now. There's a part in the review where I say that I had some jittering from another Rx when swamping it during setup that vanished when I put the SL8 in... the other Rx was a Berg7.
Mar 11, 2009, 09:06 PM

Sombra/Multiplex Problem?

the KM,

I have a Multiplex Evo 12ch synthesized tx, every time I power-up my Sombra SL-8 the all the servos jump to their end points and then move back to center. After that, all servo movement works fine. Obviously I can't use it as is. Any ideas what might be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Bob
Mar 16, 2009, 01:36 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofly
the KM,

I have a Multiplex Evo 12ch synthesized tx, every time I power-up my Sombra SL-8 the all the servos jump to their end points and then move back to center. After that, all servo movement works fine. Obviously I can't use it as is. Any ideas what might be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Bob
Servos running a distance when they first get power to when the receiver gives a signal is not uncommon. If it tests out and works perfect, I wouldn't worry about it.
Aug 18, 2009, 06:44 AM
I have just received an SL-8 and concur with theKM the servos do jump when first powered up. I am looking forward to doing some test flights. In my case I fly on six meters and Sombra is about the only mftr left making Rxs on those Hzs.

Good Luck
Milt WB8WPY
Sep 27, 2009, 05:05 PM
Anyone know of a good place in the USA I can order the Lepton 6 or SL-8?
Sep 27, 2009, 05:09 PM
60 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by petn7
Anyone know of a good place in the USA I can order the Lepton 6 or SL-8?
Why not order direct from Sombra?