Sombra Labs - SL-8 and Lepton-6 Receiver Review - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jan 22, 2009, 10:55 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
ededge2002: sounds like you have a nice collection of the good stuff!

MadCap231ex: 72Mhz never stopped being an awesome way to control our toys. And the 9CAP is still an awesome radio, and it's the synth module that came with a 9CAP that had me looking for synth Rx's in the first place, a great radio.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2009, 10:51 AM
Great review! I have a couple of Sombra "ham" version receivers, a Shadow 3 and an Sl-8. I just got the SL-8 and haven't had a chance to try it, but the Shadow 3 is totally bullet proof. I expect even better (if that is possible) from the SL-8. I was particularly interested in your testing of the shortened antenna as I fly small models and hate to drag a long antenna wire behind them. I will probably insstall an e cubed tuned antenna on my SL-8. I use one on my FMA M5 receivers with great results.

I have two 2.4 spread spectrum systems that I love. I have about 14 receivers for these systems, but you will get my 6 meter stuff away from me only when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the sticks. Unfortunately, Sombra is the sole manufacturer of "ham" frequency receivers at present. I am appreciative to them for continuing to do so. I am looking forward to flying my SL-8. Thanks again for a super review.

Rod Taylor
WA6FZC
Jan 23, 2009, 11:06 AM
Suspended Account
If I'd tried the SL-8 before buy a DX-7, well, I'd have stayed with 72 mghz. Sadly, I bought one during my "transition."

Really, the SL-8 is that good, and the guy in Canada is a very nice guy.
Jan 23, 2009, 12:36 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricrod
I was particularly interested in your testing of the shortened antenna as I fly small models and hate to drag a long antenna wire behind them.
For general flying, those antennas can take a brutal trimming for sure. I have a micro heli and quarter length antenna makes the tail quite nicely, and there's zero chance I'll be flying that little guy out of range.
Jan 23, 2009, 12:40 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymyankel
If I'd tried the SL-8 before buy a DX-7, well, I'd have stayed with 72 mghz. Sadly, I bought one during my "transition."

Really, the SL-8 is that good, and the guy in Canada is a very nice guy.
It's certainly the good stuff. While 72Mhz is still around (obviously), for those that are convinced that 2.4ghz is the way to go, Sombra Labs should be releasing their 2.4Ghz setup this year.
Jan 23, 2009, 12:42 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poring
Are they making 35mhz versions?
w00t, looks like your ship is coming in!... I was just looking at their page again, and there's this little spiel...

"SL-8 EURO Version (Spring 2008)

No crystals, no glitches!. A low cost synthesized ultra-light, ultra-small 8-channel receiver with advanced DSP signal detection, noise control and glitch suppression algorithms. This is a fully programmable Rx that will offer many advanced features will now be available on European frequencies 35/36/40/41 MHz."

From the product page... http://sombralabs.com/products.php

...this rocks. looks like I'll be sending some to Dad after all
Jan 23, 2009, 12:57 PM
War Eagle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
For general flying, those antennas can take a brutal trimming for sure. I have a micro heli and quarter length antenna makes the tail quite nicely, and there's zero chance I'll be flying that little guy out of range.
From what I've read (and my limited 72mHz experience), a lot of the higher-end and/or new receivers are not base-loaded nor tuned to a specific length. Therefore, micro planes and helis can have small antennas without the need for soldering a micro antenna to it.

Range testing will proportionally be shorter, of course, but like many manufacturers of air receivers say... "Our receivers were not designed to for taxiing around."
Jan 23, 2009, 01:11 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
From what I've read (and my limited 72mHz experience), a lot of the higher-end and/or new receivers are not base-loaded nor tuned to a specific length. Therefore, micro planes and helis can have small antennas without the need for soldering a micro antenna to it.

Range testing will proportionally be shorter, of course, but like many manufacturers of air receivers say... "Our receivers were not designed to for taxiing around."
the good stuff can be casually trimmed and still work, but by definition they're tuned to the 72Mhz wavelength. This is the reason that Tx and Rx antennas are 39 inches long. Random trimming and coiling will still most likely still work, but by advice from Sombra, the optimum way to do it is in whole fractions of the 72Mhz 39 inch wavelength (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc).

...but it is good to have a good taxiing Rx
Jan 23, 2009, 01:15 PM
War Eagle!
That's good to know about the whole-fraction trimming. Thanks Arron!

If this serves as an indication... I've had better luck with trimmed antennas than with those that I coiled around a popsicle stick.
Jan 23, 2009, 04:09 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
That's good to know about the whole-fraction trimming. Thanks Arron!

If this serves as an indication... I've had better luck with trimmed antennas than with those that I coiled around a popsicle stick.
It's a nice little nugget of information... was new to me also when Aroosh at Sombra Labs told me
Jan 26, 2009, 05:56 PM
Long-Time Member
Now that is the best, if not one of the best, reviews I have read in the past few years. And it was exceptionally written too! Nice style.

In the U.S. I've been a die-hard original version Berg DSP user; I just never had faith after Peter Berg handed it to Castle Creations. (In Germany I use only Schulze DSP receivers.) And at some point I will need upgraded stuff—but not to 2.4G because my yearly time in the States doesn't justify the expense—so now I know what to get!

Thank you for the insight!
Jan 26, 2009, 06:08 PM
Suspended Account
James, if "only" I'd tried the Sombra first, I'm sure I'd have stayed with 72! I liked Berg, but the Sombra was amazing.
Jan 26, 2009, 06:49 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik
Now that is the best, if not one of the best, reviews I have read in the past few years. And it was exceptionally written too! Nice style.

In the U.S. I've been a die-hard original version Berg DSP user; I just never had faith after Peter Berg handed it to Castle Creations. (In Germany I use only Schulze DSP receivers.) And at some point I will need upgraded stuff—but not to 2.4G because my yearly time in the States doesn't justify the expense—so now I know what to get!

Thank you for the insight!
geez, all I wanted was for you to bump the thread, but man... this is was a well spent $50

Thanks for the props though, it was a fun test for a great product: dollars people spend on these wont be misplaced. I'm thinking of putting other products through the same tests in the future to see what their results look like, might be interesting indeed.
Jan 26, 2009, 07:32 PM
BEC
BEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
I'm thinking of putting other products through the same tests in the future to see what their results look like, might be interesting indeed.
....and so it begins!

(compulsive hardware testing, I mean)
Jan 26, 2009, 08:02 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
....and so it begins!

(compulsive hardware testing, I mean)
heh, maybe.

I may or may not have been looking at purchasing a spectrum analyzer the other day