May 05, 2001, 10:25 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
Thread OP

Attack in my Garage - Futaba Rx/ESC Question

I recently discovered my "Attack 4 AM" (FP-T4NBL) in storage after it had been missing for eight years.

It originally came as a set with two micro servos and an integrated Rx/ESC with BEC (# MCR-4A). I've lost the manual. I'm most interested in the specifications of the speed controller and its BEC unit. Anybody know...
1) What is the max continuous amperage rating? Peak?
2) How many battery cells can I use? 6 to 7? 6 to 8?
3) Does it have auto motor cut-off at low battery voltage?
4) How do I set the throttle end-point? Is it the screw that's visible from the top? If so, technique?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2001, 11:05 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
IMHO, put it back where you found it and buy a new radio. The esc/rx combo is not a good idea. And AM too!

Brian, an EAJ
May 06, 2001, 12:22 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by bhchan:
IMHO, put it back where you found it and buy a new radio. The esc/rx combo is not a good idea. And AM too!

Brian, an EAJ
Thanks, Brian, but I have 5 other radios, all with nice computers and such stuff inside. Wife would Ginzu knife me if I bought another, don'cha know?

Anyway, I disagree with the idea that only the "best" is good. I have a friend who flies with equipment that makes my Futaba look cutting-edge. He has used the same Rx pack for SEVEN (7) years. His planes, slope and thermal stuff, are more tape than covering. He has a blast, and is one of the most skilled pilots that I've ever seen. He's paying about a penny a flight, I'd say. Yeah, the best is great, but the rest works too, just fine.

BTW, what's an "EAJ"? Sounds familiar, but the cheeze, the biscut...
Oct 18, 2002, 07:20 AM

Latest is not always the best

I go along with you Dave: the MCR4A is not flashy by today's standards but it works. I've seen guys with computer radios having more trouble (i.e. not flying) than I had with my simple AM and FM 4-channel sets.

If you ever want to get rid of that set, leave me a note: my receiver is toasted but I feel you won't get rid of it.

Cheers!
Oct 18, 2002, 09:02 AM
Plane dodger
I have the same set up and here are the stats

1. 6-7 cells, I run 8 they are known to be glitchy with 8. Current I keep under 15A with 8 cells.

2. Amps rating from futaba says 100A continues and 400A peak. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Right. I have never gone over 20.

Do not use a cobalt of any kind.

3. BEC cut off works. The only problem is the reset is the red push button which is kind of hard to do when the plane is flying.

4 AM channel...never had a problem

5. Adjustment for throttle is the screw on top of rx. Adjust with throttle in down or off positon and turn till motor cuts out.

I have flown this set up for over ten years and have had this thing submergered in icey cold water with the motor running at the bottm of a 10 ft deep pond. That was 9 years ago and it still is ticking. The plane is not.

Good set up for a 2 meter glider or 400-480 funfly.
BTW still have the same TX nicds in it and still running strong. I fly almost evry ay too. Charge maybe once evry two weeks. My Eclipse7 needs to be charged every freekin day and can only get about 1 hour before the bleep,bleep kicks in.

Killer
Last edited by KillerAir; Oct 18, 2002 at 09:11 AM.
Oct 18, 2002, 09:51 AM
I've had one for 10 years or so, and have flown it many, many times around other TX's with absolutely no glitching. I and another I know have flown it with 8 cells with no problems, although I usually use it on seven. It has BEC cutoff. Like was pointed out by KillerAir, Futaba's rating is a joke. I'd say stick with mild speed 600 can motors as the max (20-25A) -- no Mag Mayhems or Endos. BTW, my friend has flown one for years in a Playboy old-timer on 8 cells and an Astro cobalt 05 geared with no problems. I know of no reason not to use a cobalt motor as long as the current draw is kept under 25A.

One item of importance: This is a frame-rate controller (50Hz) so its got poor part-throttle efficiency and is not good for gear boxes at part throttle due to cogging!!!!

I've pretty much relegated mine to a speed 400 plane, but would not hesitate to use it for a mild 600 if I only needed ON/OFF control.
Oct 18, 2002, 09:59 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Quote:
Originally posted by NipponDave

BTW, what's an "EAJ"?
Electric Airplane Junkie.

Brian, always an EAJ.
Oct 19, 2002, 09:28 PM
Speed Demon
My brother has one in an EP Aspire. We've run it all the way up to 35 amps on 7 cells and it didn't miss a beat. He currently uses it on 7-8 cells and 25 amps. One thing I really don't like about it is there is no prop brake. You have to stall the plane out at the top of a climb to get the prop to fold. This uses precious altitude.
Oct 19, 2002, 10:07 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by KillerAir
I have the same set up and here are the stats

1. 6-7 cells, I run 8 they are known to be glitchy with 8. Current I keep under 15A with 8 cells.

2. Amps rating from futaba says 100A continues and 400A peak. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Right. I have never gone over 20.

Do not use a cobalt of any kind.

3. BEC cut off works. The only problem is the reset is the red push button which is kind of hard to do when the plane is flying.

4 AM channel...never had a problem

5. Adjustment for throttle is the screw on top of rx. Adjust with throttle in down or off positon and turn till motor cuts out.

I have flown this set up for over ten years and have had this thing submergered in icey cold water with the motor running at the bottm of a 10 ft deep pond. That was 9 years ago and it still is ticking. The plane is not.

Good set up for a 2 meter glider or 400-480 funfly.
BTW still have the same TX nicds in it and still running strong. I fly almost evry ay too. Charge maybe once evry two weeks. My Eclipse7 needs to be charged every freekin day and can only get about 1 hour before the bleep,bleep kicks in.

Killer
The Eclipse is a battery hog but a NiMH pack makes it OK. I charge about every 3 days with lots of use and have never heard the beep!
boomer

Quick Reply