BH MODELS Mosquito Twin-EP ARF w/Retracts from Hobby People

BH models continues the WW2 twin ARF rollout out with the new Mosquito Twin-EP ARF w/Retracts available from Hobby People. Mike Llewellyn reviews this wonderful new ARF Twin for electric power.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:63”
Wing Area:~630 sq”
Wing type:Built up - Symmetrical
AUW weight:Advertised – 5.5lbs+ Actual - 6lb 7oz
Length:48.5”
Wing loading:23.5 oz/sq. ft.
Servos:7-8 Micro/Mini Retract
Transmitter:Spektrum DX7
Receiver:Spektrum AR6200
Battery:Impulse 4000mA 3s LiPoly
Motors:KMS 2814/09 830Kv Outrunner
ESC:Castle Creations Phoenix 35 AMP
US distributor:Hobby People
BH Models OV-1 Mosquito:BH MODELS Mosquito Twin
ARF Price:$229.99

Hobby People imports a wonderful line of ARF airplanes made by Black Horse (BH) Models. For those who have not considered this impressive line, do not let the budget price fool you. This makes the third BH model that I have reviewed, and they are very well built, have scale lines and they look fantastic.

The BH Models version of the Mosquito fits with the tradition and is of exceptional quality. This remarkable twin is highly prefabricated ARF and was ready to fly in just a short time.

The review package shipped from Hobby People, and it arrived in great shape. It is well packaged, double boxed and the contents in the box were very well protected. All parts are individually protected with cardboard separators and plastic wrap.

Kit Contents

Kit includes:

• Built fuselage, wing and tail surfaces all covered in genuine Oracover
  • Pre-attached canopy and pilots
  • Factory hinged flight surfaces
  • Hardware (push rods, horns, clevis, tires and tail wheel assembly)
  • Decals and markings
  • Picture assembly guide and text instructions

Kit requires:

• 2 - 250+ watt Motors
  • 3s-4s LiPoly battery
  • 7-8 Servos (2-Flaps, 2-Ailerons, elevator, rudder and retract)
  • Receiver
  • 4 channel minimum transmitter

Included for this review:

Assembly

The Hobby People BH Models Mosquito requires a few evenings of assembly but most of the tough work is done for you. I was very impressed with the build quality and the scale lines of this ship. The highly rounded fuselage of the Mossy is not easy to replicate. The balsa and plywood was of good quality with many "holes" laser cut for weight savings.

Done by the factory:

• Surfaces hinged ready for CA hinges and glue
  • Push rods installed and ready to hook up
  • All surfaces covered
  • Canopy and pilots installed

The builder needs to:

• Install the tail surfaces
  • Install the nacelles
  • Install radio system
  • Install the retract system and undercarriage
  • Install the power system
  • Apply self adhesive decals

Wing

The wings have cutouts intended for small ~9g servos. This allows for short linkages that go directly from the exposed servos to the control surface horns. Each aileron uses a 9g servo. Wings both have pull strings installed for the aileron servos - a great touch.

Flaps are in each wing half and are also actuated by a single 9g servo. The servos are located close to the ribs, and the wires easily dropped through the wing rib holes to the root rib wing ends.

I am very impressed with these small Airtronics servos. They are light and powerful and offer plenty of control authority.

Motors

The motors mount right to factory installed plywood motor mounts. They included blind nuts and bolts to mount the motors, another great touch. I highly recommend thread locker here to keep the bolts secure.

The Mosquito came with four large beautiful fiberglass motor nacelles, two for the tops and two for the bottoms. The glass work and paint was expertly applied, and they look fantastic.

The top nacelles are retained by a small wood screw that mounts from the inside of the wing near the retract area. The bottoms are retained by "hooks" that slide into slots in the sheeting of the wings. They both have a small plastic thumb screw that keeps them secured to each other. I did have some issues with the rear hooks that were caught on some thick internal components on the sheeting. On both sides I had to cut material from the sheeting in order to get the horns to work properly.

Wing tube

The wings are not permanently attached to the fuselage. Included is a thin, long aluminum wing tube and plastic thumb screws that secure the wing to fuselage.

Retractable Landing Gear

The BH Mosquito includes mechanical retractable main landing gear. The units are of good quality and easily able to support the weight of the model. The installation manual recommends a single retract servo in the center section of the fuselage, then a bell-crank assembly links the retracts to the single retract servo. I diverted from recommended procedure and installed a retract servo in each wing panel. This greatly simplified the retract installation process.

Fuselage

The fuselage has a factory installed battery tray and a rubber band to retain the battery. The Mossy came with the servo tray, battery tray, wing tube and push rods tubes all installed.

This model also includes a large over wing hatch allowing for easy access to the radio compartment.

Tail Assembly

The Mossy featured dual elevator push rods and an internal linkage system to actuate the rudder and tail wheel.

Nose Battery Hatch

The BH Mosquito comes with a factory painted nose cone. It was necessary to install the "guns" and the blocks that use magnets to retain the nose. The nose is the battery access point, and the magnets make quick work of battery swaps.

I did have issues with the epoxy holding the nose blocks on, so I actually used fiberglass tape and epoxy to firmly secure the blocks. In all honesty the blocks only popped off when the plane nosed up on less than perfect grass field landings.

Power system

The BH models Mosquito will be powered by two of the KMS 28/14-09 830KV Outrunner Brushless motors. These motors are available at Hobby People and have worked well for me in other projects.

Amp draws

These low KV outrunner motors are perfect for use with 3s or 4s packs. They produced the following results:

Motor statistics (both motors)
APCe Propeller Amps Watts Voltage
12x6 47 484 10.4v

I fly the Mossy with the APC-e 12x6 propellers on 3s. The plan was to use 4s packs but I have no reason to switch with the power of these small motors. As you will see from the video, it does not lack any power. This model flies with authority and has short ground rolls for takeoff.

I used a single 3s 4000 MAh Impulse LiPoly battery to provide power. This pack weighs in right at 12.2oz.

On twin models I always disable both ESCs and built in BECs. I have learned that external BECs are simply worth the peace of mind for large twins. The Castle Creations BEC I used is able to provide up to 10 amps of power which is plenty for the gaggle of servos in this ship, including the two power hungry retract servos.

I am using the capable Phoenix 35s for this model. They get limited cooling so the larger ESCs are welcome. I have long been a fan of Castle ESCs and really enjoy the programing options on the Phoenix line of controllers.

A single Impulse 20c 4000 mAh 3s pack provides ample flight times for the Mossy.

Finish

The BH Models Mosquito is finished in a very attractive scheme - including attractive markings and invasion stripes. I would have liked to have seen more opacity to the sticker markings. The genuine Oracover covering required a quick iron touch up in a few places to remove wrinkles.

Flying

Preflight

CG

With the 3s 4000 mAh pack all the way forward the Mosquito needed additional weight to balance properly. This is unavoidable with the short nose moments of the Mosquito. I needed 6 ounces of lead in the nose to achieve the proper balance. Heavier motors could be used; that would help attain the CG and the mounts will easily accommodate longer motors. 4s packs or larger capacity batteries would also help here.

Rates and transmitter setup

I used my trusted Spektrum DX7 transmitter for this plane. Rates were set as recommended in the manual with ailerons and elevator at 10mm each direction. No exponential rates were mentioned so I used 25% for all the primary flight controls. Flaps were set at about 15 degrees down and 30 degrees down. Both flap settings worked well in flight for me with a notable, expected pitch change with flap actuation. Control surface throws and rates are a very personal preference, so adjust yours accordingly.

I set the flight timer to count down from 6 minutes of mixed flying. With mixed flying this gives an audible warning to land just before the 3s 4000mAh battery is depleted.

Basics

The large BH Models Mosquito is an impressive model with a very large footprint. It has a commanding presence and always draws attention at the field both the ground and in the air.

Takeoff and Landing

The Mosquito takes to the air in about 50 feet on a paved surface. I use about 15 degrees of down flap on the takeoffs. This allows for a very high lift yet fairly low drag - perfect for take off.

Landings are easy with the Mosquito, just remember to flip the retract switch! With the flaps engaged the model exhibits pitch change so elevator mixing had that solved. It is critically important to control approach descent with power when using the flaps. It is fatal to slow large war birds too much on approach, but the Mossy is well behaved here and slows well.

Special Flight Characteristics

The BH models Mossy is a pleasure to fly. It does not exhibit any bad behavior and flies wonderfully.

The flaps and retractable landing gear add a great dimension of realism to the flying. It is very cool on takeoff to watch the wheels retract and flaps raise.

The plane stalls very predictably for a model with a mid 20 oz/ft wing loading. When pushed to a stall, the model slows down considerably and then drops the nose and the right wing. Power application recovers quickly.

Loops require full power and a slight dive for speed. Rolls are picture perfect with the recommended aileron throws, but aerobatics are not the forte of this beauty. High speed gear up passes are, however, very cool!, and it certainly was a scale flight maneuver!

Dawnron1 took these amazing in-flight shots. Highly impressive as usual!

Recommended power system

Power from the brushless motors was excellent. The KMS Quantam motors, with their low KV ratings, like large propellers on 3s voltage. They pull this 6+ pound airplane around with authority.

Is this plane for a beginner?

Although not terribly difficult to fly, twins are not a beginner endeavor. The Mossy is well mannered, but with a rising wing loading it will require a pilot with previous twin experience.

Flight Video

Downloads

Conclusion

I simply love British war birds. The Mossy is very nearly on the top of my long list of favorites with its distinctive snub nose. The full scale with twin Merlin engines was one of the fastest aircraft of the war, highly competent and very formidable. The round fuselage and huge nacelles of the Mossy make it an impressive plane on the ground and in flight. I could not have been more impressed.

The retractable landing gear takes time to setup, and I am happy with the dual retract servos: one per wing half. The internal rudder linkage took some time, but the lack of an external linkage makes it well worth it.

The remaining assembly of this highly prefabricated ARF is completely straightforward. I appreciate that the factory had marked the areas of the wing where the nacelles attach to the sheeting.

The Mosquito flies extremely well with large split flaps and retractable landing gear. It is a blast to raise the gear and flaps and book around. It slows well, and I cannot find a single flight flaw. I can assure you that I am impressed. Highly Recommended.

Hits:

• Excellent looks
  • Scale details are well represented
  • Short assembly time
  • Stellar flight performance
  • Exceptional value

Misses:

• Nose cone fiberglass blocks broke off until secured with fiberglass tape and epoxy
  • Single strut on the retracts non scale
  • Non-scale large pilot(s) and the Mossy had only one up-top!

The BH Models Mosquito will make a great addition to your hangar. Check it out the hobby shop or buy direct from Hobby People.

Last edited by Angela H; Nov 21, 2008 at 02:27 PM..
Nov 21, 2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the review.

Nice model and video.

Cheers.
Nov 21, 2008, 09:13 AM
Wandering IT geek
My compliments on a well written review!
Nov 21, 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys - it is a wonderful plane....
Nov 21, 2008, 09:49 AM
Captain Fly Bye
Great Review....On my way to Hobby People today to get one!
Thanks
Terry
Nov 21, 2008, 09:50 AM
Great review, Mike and with excellent photos/video by Ronnie. I also enjoyed seeing the airplane fly for real at DEAF. It is a bit overpowered for pure scale, but that adds to the fun of the model. Keep up the good work-- you do a great job of reviewing.

Rod Taylor
Nov 21, 2008, 10:20 AM
Excellent review and a great warrior.

Mike, a couple of questions because I am building (actually rebuilding after an unsuccessful first flight) a Bristol Beaufighter from an old Czech kit I bought years ago on eBay.

On the Mossie, are the props contrarotating, or to they rotate in the same direction?

Where is the CG in terms of percent of wing chord?

Your answers will be much appreciated.

BTW, the sound of those twin electrics is awesome!

wahrhaft@sonic.net
Nov 21, 2008, 12:12 PM
My props (and the original) rotate in the same direction. Very few full scale twins counter rotated. Same with the Beaufighter....

I CG is at 100mm I suspect somewhere around 22%MAC, but it was surprisingly tolerant rear of that.

I would start your Beau at 22% and go from there.

Mike
Nov 21, 2008, 01:08 PM
Motor Maniac
There are two references to the Mohawk instead of the Mosquito, one in the summary at the top right of the article and another in the power system text.
BH Models OV-1 Mohawk:
Might want to change this. I'm guessing someone did some cut-paste from the Mohawk article and didn't change these two instances.
Nov 21, 2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks - 10Thumbs I will have the editor get those references changed.

Mike
Nov 21, 2008, 02:05 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Excellent review Mike, thanks! I've been wanting another .60-sized British warbird after tearing up my 65" Spitfire this fall. I've had my eye on this very airplane and have even contributed to the ongoing discussion thread, but this review locks it up for me. I see my Christmas present to myself. Thanks!
Nov 21, 2008, 03:27 PM
Warbird crazy!
Awesome reveiw Mike!

After reading this and seeing the vid and pics, I gotta get mine going .

How difficult do you think it would be to set up the wing servos internally with trays?

Thanks,
John
Nov 21, 2008, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rc
Awesome reveiw Mike!

After reading this and seeing the vid and pics, I gotta get mine going .

How difficult do you think it would be to set up the wing servos internally with trays?

Thanks,
John
I don't think it would cause too much of an issue. Some surgery required but nothing too rough - I would guess!

Mike
Nov 21, 2008, 04:48 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Great review Mike. The Mossy is one of my all time favorite WWII aircraft. Gotta love the sound of those twin props eatin up the air. Looks like Hobby People have another winner with the BH Mosquito.
Mike McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Nov 21, 2008, 05:39 PM
Woh.. Nice.. Is there anyway to get the instruction mannual?