Aug 22, 2008, 08:19 PM
Pat, I am defiently signed in on this one. Can't wait. I think I need to start begging again for a 150/152 since the Dumas project fell through. : )
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2008, 08:41 PM
Neophyte hacker
Pete,

I do like the idea of a Bush C180. At that size, and with a set of floats, it would be very cool. Did Robertson do a STOL kit for the old C180 or just for the newer models?

Of course, the Bird Dog is another one, but, I still have the wing from my Dumas hack still on the wall waiting for the day that I build a new fuse for it.

charlie

PS we're hijacking a thread, don't tell Pat
Aug 22, 2008, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Actually, I've had the 195 rattling around in the back of my mind for a long time, and the 180 has been rattling right along side in tight formation. So many COOL projects, so little time!!!

PAT
Aug 23, 2008, 01:00 AM
Mansell Models
I love the @#$%'s Series. They make some great aircraft. The 195 is probably one of the most majestic looking in the bunch, and the 185 is best all around bush bird of the bunch. The 185 makes a great for float plane. Maybe I am a little partial to the @#$%'s aircraft because that is what I grew up with. My career with aviation began washing the 188. I am looking forward for more pics.

Tom
Aug 23, 2008, 03:14 PM
Thread OP

Mounting the Wing.

My favorite part of working with laser cut parts is that things fit as nearly perfect as a model airplane can get. The wing litterally fell into the saddle, and when the holes were drilled into the LE for the hold down dowls the ailignment to the dowel support plate in the wing aligned perfectly. Once the dowels were glued in, the rear hold down bolt holes were drilled and tapped. And finally, the wing center section formers and stringers were added.
Aug 23, 2008, 03:17 PM
Thread OP

The First Dry Run

With the wing in place and bolted down, the tail section was set up to see how the whole thing looked. Now I'm getting excited!

The next step will be to get the aileron and flap control cables run in and the servos mounted in the wing, and the servos and hook ups run into the fuselage.

PAT
Aug 23, 2008, 06:07 PM
Wow! Looking Great!

Pat,
What size servos will you be using on this plane? Will there be a battery hatch?

Paul
Aug 23, 2008, 07:39 PM
Mansell Models
Pat,

This is awesome!!! You will have it flying soon. I am really looking forward for this bird. I cannot wait to see the canopy on it.

Tom
Aug 24, 2008, 06:32 AM
Thread OP
Paul, I "borrowed" a couple S-75's from the bird the ESC is "on loan" from, and will have to commandeer a couple more servos from something else till the ones on order from the HS get here. For models this slow and light, a 11 - 13 in. oz. sevo is plenty.

PAT
Aug 24, 2008, 09:45 PM
Pat
I've got a few of those servos in my parts box...

I was wondering if you would have to remove the struts and wing to replace th battery between flights.... It appears that the fuse has quite a few stringers in the strategic hatch locations.......
Paul
Aug 24, 2008, 10:30 PM
Thread OP
Paul, I'm not sure how battery access will be accomplished yet. It will all depend on where the battery ends up in the fuselage to get a good CG. I'll do everything possible to get out of having to remove the wing, though. I'm hoping to end up in a position to add a "hopper" access hatch cover on top of the fuselage in front of the windshield and load the battery through it. Time will tell.

PAT
Aug 25, 2008, 09:07 AM
Thread OP

Finishing the Front End

Got the last of the stringers and formers on the front end, and mounted the E-Flight 450 motor. The motor mounts from the front end so access is easy after the fuselage frame is complete.

Also got the fuselage servos mounted and the elevator pushrod tube run in. Then added a couple stringers arond the cockpit opening in prep for cover. We're getting close to cover now.

PAT
Aug 25, 2008, 11:36 AM
Mansell Models
Pat,

Awesome!! Do you plan on flying 2 or 3 cell battery with this bird? This bird is going together at warp 9.

Tom
Aug 25, 2008, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Tom, The plan is to set this one up with a 2-cell 2100 or so. At the weight it appears to be working out to it should do fine. I'm also going to try a largish 3 blade prop, but don't want to over-amp the system and shorten the duration.

PAT

Quick Reply