Aug 20, 2008, 08:47 AM
Thread OP

Building the Flaps and Ailerons

Got back to it late yesterday and built up the flaps ans ailerons. Once shaped, the hinges were added.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2008, 09:11 AM
Mansell Models
Pat,

Count me in on this one!!! I want one!!!

Tom
Aug 21, 2008, 09:17 AM
Thread OP

Building the Tail Section

The rudder and elevator are simple as there are no bowed outlines this time -- simple and straight forward.

The fuselage sides were built next. Due to the right thrust built into firewall there are dedicated left and right hand sides, so the frames were marked when removed from the board.

So now, it's back to the shop to finish up the fuselage frame.

PAT
Aug 21, 2008, 10:11 AM
Neophyte hacker
Bulent. Glider tug? Not likely. But, if the glider is small enough, say 5oz.

Pat, should I drag out that DLG to try it?

charlie
Aug 21, 2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Charlie,

The tug idea was not very serious; but I thought this model was a bit more powerful than normal for Pat's designs.

Bulent
Aug 21, 2008, 10:40 AM
Planecrazy in Lodi
A 55" Ag Wagon as a glider tug?! Now THAT I'd like to see!!

Pat/Charlie - If you ever get around to actually trying that, PLEASE take some video! Please, please, please! That would be a real "trip"!!

Kermit
Aug 21, 2008, 10:40 AM
Keep up the fine work Pat. This a MUST HAVE. I've always loved the Ag planes and have been wanting one. I've been tempted to get one of the recent ARF's, but would much rather build one. Your designs are great and I look forward to when this is available as a plan, short kit.

--Colin--
Aug 21, 2008, 10:41 AM
Neophyte hacker
I understand.

It does fit. When Pat started doing his work with Dumas we thought about a pair of planes being flown with one as the towed glider. Obviously we did not get far

With this one it looks to be just about right for a DLG that I have at home. The glider is 5 oz RTF (maybe 6) and is 40" span. So, if this plane comes out at 20oz and is 55" the combination might just work.

Now, if only there were two 'Pat's' for the flying duties May have to 'draft' another of our local pilots to help.

charlie
Aug 21, 2008, 11:20 AM
Garry Owen!
Pat, Agwagon looks great but not my cup of tea. Any chance you'd take some of the files and turn them into an awesome 55" C-180?
Aug 21, 2008, 01:21 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!

Looking forward to this one

Pat,
I have always loved the Ag Wagons. I even constructed 1 out of FFF & pink foam----alas it was to heavy even though it did fly.
I have put a few ARFs together, but never a kit. This would be a chance for me to build 1 from the ground up.
I wanted to purchase the Dumas Ag Wagon, but it was never released.
I look forward to you releasing this kit so I can add it to my fleet.
Thanks and keep up the great work. C-YA RL
Aug 21, 2008, 05:35 PM
Neophyte hacker
A 55", 5 channel C180? Sounds like a good idea Pat.

Heck, could make a whole fleet of $$^@'s 150, 170, 180, 206, 210 They all basically have the same wing.

Maybe just make up a 'generic' fuse and let us 'hack' it into whatever model we want

charlie
Aug 21, 2008, 06:16 PM
Mansell Models
Lookin' great Pat. I have already thought of way to turn this bird into a true Sprayer. I am anxious to get a kit. Keep it going full speed.

Tom
Aug 22, 2008, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
A 55", 5 channel C180? Sounds like a good idea Pat.

Heck, could make a whole fleet of $$^@'s 150, 170, 180, 206, 210 They all basically have the same wing.

Maybe just make up a 'generic' fuse and let us 'hack' it into whatever model we want

charlie

Charlie, your lineup of "$$^@" models sounds great, but don't forget the good old 195!

Pat, this will be another great one, I'm sure. It will be very difficult to pass up, and not add to my pile of boxes full of balsa, waiting to be turned into airplanes. I love ag planes. Can't hardly pass by when I see one working without stopping to watch!

Watching this one with interest!

AmpAce
Aug 22, 2008, 04:33 PM
Neophyte hacker
The old 195 had a different wing. The only reason it was not included.

The 'modern' ones all had basically the same wing construction. So, just a bit of size difference and you can attach all kinds of fuselages, including the Bird Dog. I think they even kept that wing when they went to the Caravan turboprop.

charlie
Aug 22, 2008, 07:03 PM

#@$%&@ Follow-up Models

Actually, the @#$% 195 is the one I would be most interested in. Love those radial engines -- "round is right!" There is a Berkeley plan floating around e-bay from time to time, but the Berkeley kit was for a control-line model built up out of balsa blocks -- much too heavy for an electric sport model. A large electric version a-la Pat's building techniques would be a beauty and a great companion to the @@%$ one for tea.

I would have said "Skylane," which is my absolute favorite, especially since the Goldberg Skylane 42 was my first RC model, but I know Dave Blum's plan is available and his construction style is very much like Pat's. A trip to Kinkos would take care of anyone wanting a model larger than its 36" span.

On the other hand, a larger 180 would be great, especially if done up in a larger scale and floats were available so it could be configured as a bush seaplane. I had a great ride in one out of Anchorage a number of years ago.

Just my 'wish list.' ...

Pete G.

Quick Reply