Aug 17, 2008, 05:59 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Thread OP
Build Log

What is it? "Peng" that's what...

Just finished trowing this together with the TLAR method. (I did make templates of everything) But what does it clasify as? Wing?, Jet?, Simple foamy? Pusher config.....

I haven't maidened it yet, going to do that in a bit just before dark, wind is blowing right now.

Apache
Last edited by ApachePilot; Aug 18, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2008, 06:04 PM
I'd say it's a prop-in-slot delta. Looks cool, let us know how it flies.

- Jeff
Aug 17, 2008, 06:30 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
i'd say it's little...
Aug 17, 2008, 06:37 PM
Thread OP

It Flys!!!!!!

Thanks, I like prop in the slot delta....

Well, I guessed at the GoG. But managed to get it close. I added fuse doublers to the sides and gave her a toss. Mushed right along with the nose high like my 3d types or shock flyers. I charged the battery and gave another toss with 3/4 throttle and (Holy Friggin!!! Wahoo!!!) This thing wants to fly with speed. Half throttle and it mushes right along but turns aren't really great. Speed it up and it acts like it's on rails.

Guess I need to examine the issue with poor control at slower speeds. But this thing is a winner.....

In flight pics to come...
By the way, I chose to call it "Peng" after the chinese mythological bird with great flying power.

Specs:
Wing Span 14"
Length 16"
Weight: 2.5 ounces
Power: E-Flite Park 180 W/ 10 amp esc
Batt: 7.4v 2S 430 maH lipo
Built from Midwest 3mm and 5mm cell foam

Apache.
Last edited by ApachePilot; Aug 18, 2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added lines
Aug 17, 2008, 07:49 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
cool! i'll be the one to ask this time... plans? specs?
Aug 17, 2008, 08:20 PM
Thread OP

Proof of flight.

Well, I couldn't resist, but paid the price...

It was getting dark and I wanted to show everyone that the Peng indeed flies. I lost orientation and landed hard knocking the nose off, 15 seconds later, Peng is RTF again. Peng VII will have a carbon tube in the fuse.

Flight is at a little over 1/2 throttle. Special thanks to my camera person for keeping it in the lense.

And I thought Vimeo was good, uploading video again....have patience...

(0 min 40 sec)

Apache
Last edited by ApachePilot; Aug 17, 2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: link added
Aug 17, 2008, 11:44 PM
Apache, glad to see it fly, looks good.
Aug 18, 2008, 12:47 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApachePilot
...Half throttle and it mushes right along but turns aren't really great. Speed it up and it acts like it's on rails.

Guess I need to examine the issue with poor control at slower speeds. But this thing is a winner.....
Two guesses for turning at low speeds:
1. Larger elevons (may get too sensitive at higher speeds)

2. Add a rudder. My SFO (another prop-in-slot with elevons,
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675079)
also had problems turning at low power.
I then added the optional rudder, which really helps with turns at lower power levels.
Aug 18, 2008, 08:01 AM
Thread OP

Peng and I say thankyou

Thanks for the kind responses, I will be uploading plans as soon as I can figure out how to scale the templates I made while building the original peng. Remember, that first peng only uses a very small E-Flite park 180 for a motor and only has a 14" span. I am tinkering with the idea of scaling it up to a 32" span and powering it with a 370 out runner. Any suggestions? Anyone want to try installing a micro EDF? That would be awesome, I just dont have one.

Apache
Last edited by ApachePilot; Aug 18, 2008 at 02:30 PM.
Aug 18, 2008, 10:06 AM
Thread OP

Peng templates

Here are the templates for the Peng. Should equal a 14 inch span when done. I will try to get plans up later. If using the templates, try assembling templates for the wing and cutting it as one piece.

I hope this works for everyone.

Just a note: All parts can be cut from a single piece of 3mm foam measuring 12"x28", you would just have to laminate the fuse with (5) 3mm pieces.

Very cheap and fast to build.

Apache
Last edited by ApachePilot; Aug 18, 2008 at 01:36 PM.
Aug 18, 2008, 03:57 PM
Thread OP

"Peng" VII started.

This is what ya get when you have too much on your plate and only 20 mnutes to build. "Peng" VII is born and should take flight later tonight or tomorrow morning.

The only weak spot on the First Peng was the nose section. The new Peng has carbon to eliminate that.

Apache
Aug 18, 2008, 09:30 PM
My plans are in my blog
Looks very nice. Excellent, even.
Aug 19, 2008, 12:26 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, been a real busy afternoon , so was not able to maiden my new Peng. Hopefully the weather at sunrise will be calm and I can get her airborne.

Anyways, here are a few pics of the new Peng. I hope/wish someone else would attempt to build it; maybe even try a edf version. If there are any question during building send me an IM and I will answer in detail asap.

Enjoy,

Apache
Aug 19, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thread OP

Peng VII takes flight!

Ok, so this morning about 7:00 am Peng and I took a stroll over to the school soccer field and held our little prayer meeting before it was her turn to spread her wings and take flight. We said our prayers and I juiced her up....

I checked that everything was in proper order and gave her that last minute speech, (you know the one; Like you can do it girl, spread your wings and let instinct take over, fly.....) well I gave her throttle and let her go, she took to the sky like her mother before her, cimbing upward and gaining momentum, her heart pounding,(though I think mine was pounding faster). I gave her a little slack on the leash and put her through some turns, she took each command in style, smooth(almost graceful). After 4 minutes I called her back home and she pointed her nose towards my voice. She settle in about 20 feet in front of me. My heart pounding, I went to her....

Picking her up, she looked up at me, a drop of morning dew rolling off her nose. She had fared well and I had become a new father.

Gentleman and ladies of the RC Modeling world, I present to you all, "Peng VII"

Pics in a moment...

Apache
Last edited by ApachePilot; Aug 19, 2008 at 10:53 AM.
Aug 19, 2008, 10:26 AM
My plans are in my blog
Excellent. I look forward to the pics.

Quick Reply