Canadair/Bombardier CL-415T. 1mtr. Depron build. - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 16, 2008, 04:28 PM
Closed Account
Build Log

Canadair/Bombardier CL-415T. 1mtr. Depron build.

Hi Guys/Girls,

Started the wee CL-415T a little later tonight than originaly planned, Ho hum, at least she is underway in the foam now.
Mission Statement: Build and test fly the CL-415T before departing for home on the 27Aug08 for my next holiday, that's 11 days from....Now!
Pics of the first drawn lines and cuts to be going on with, more tomorrow.
Cheers, regards to all, Al
Last edited by rotorheid; Sep 20, 2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Ospreys Migrating. On way to Dakar, Still in UK!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2008, 08:16 PM
If it flies - I want one!

Slow down!

Crikey, mate! Slow down - you make us all look slack and Management is starting to notice.
Have a great build - I'll be watching with interest as I slog my way along my sadly smaller and inferior way, one small step per day ...
PeteM
Aug 17, 2008, 04:30 PM
Closed Account

10 days remaining, daren't slow down mate!

Hi Guys/Girls,

Made the hard decision to remove my motor from the Walrus, that gives a pair of XTRA 2815/24 motors, kv of 1100 running on 3 lipos with 6.6 amps each driving 8 x 3.8 apc slowfly props @7500 rpm, well that's what is advertised on the packaging. I have two the same 10amp ESC's to boot. Should give approx 130Watts total, should be enough. Start the wings tomorrow, will have a go at the undercamber, more of an oversized leading edge, may have full span flaperons, but they will be mechanicaly mixed as the radio at home is quite an early one, JR Max 6, or just have two 9g servos on a Y lead for the ailerons. Tail surfaces will be fly by string, I like the ease of set-up, operation and maintenance with that system, and it's lighter too.
This days efforts in picture format. Cheers, regards to all, Al
Aug 18, 2008, 04:04 PM
Closed Account

Wing skin and motor nacelles started.

Hi Guys/Girls,
A little bit more done now, she is starting to take shape, there will be a fair bit of sanding required, so I used the 5mm Depron to give a generous allowance in material.
Not heard from MeatBomber for a few days, thought he would have shown up here as this is a favourite aeroplane of his, where are you mate? Hope everything is OK. Cheers, regards to all, Al
Aug 19, 2008, 11:04 PM
Closed Account

Planning hull and nose shaping basics.

Hi Guys/Girls,

My pal Wolfgang returned from his short holiday at home, so had tea and a catch up talk with him, so only a little done last night, early to bed, up early now, thank goodness it's my weekend tomorrow.
Airkid, good luck with the 'Monster' and your big Puddle Twin too, hahaha!
Nice to hear from you guys. Some pics to look at through sleepy eyes for you early up and late down birds. Cheers, regards to all, Al
Aug 21, 2008, 04:55 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Watching this one. Love the CL-415 Any difference between a 215T and the 415? Love the simplicity of your build. Gotta get me some of that depron.
Aug 21, 2008, 07:59 PM
Square-rigger
Gawd how could i miss out on that !!
had my hands full the last 1 1/2 weeks, with perfect weather and about 150 jumpers at the DZ i was flying 8+ hours a day and in teh evenings i kind of just dropped dead

made an effort to clean the bench tonight but i doubt there will be such a progress to show as on yours anytime soon

The Canadair is looking great already, can`t wait to see how she`s going to look like all up and ready to go !
Aug 22, 2008, 02:10 AM
Closed Account

Progress pics, kit layout and futher info link.

Hi Guys/Girls,

Hey MB, you must have been well knacked after all that lot, good job flying is your passion or it might turn out to be like work.
Grejen, Quite a bit of difference between the two the original CL-215 had big radial piston engines, for more info including stuff I omited, go here, great site. http://www.seawings.co.uk/ Look in photo gallery, and the rest for that matter. More to come laters, have a busy day ahead, Cheers, regards to all, Al
Aug 22, 2008, 08:10 AM
Closed Account

Nethy and Deshar on their way to Dakar! God speed!

Hi Guys/Girls,

"Deshar has started migration and the last fix (5 am today) was from 56.86267,-2.25933 which is on the east coast near Kinneff, S of Stonehaven. Nethy has also left - last fix (9 pm last night) she was east of Cupar."

The two Osprey Chicks have left their home in Scotland, Nethy(F) last night, Deshar(M) this morning, and are on their way to Dakar in Western Africa on their first migration. Making good distance already! The are shown as Nethy being over the border into England almost abeam Sunderland, and Deshar just North of Edinburgh, after a long sea dog leg, your IN must be out 90 deg Deshar, get it sorted son. May fair winds lift them high, the Great Spirit guide them and their bellys never empty.
Link for live global tracking here!

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/trac...reys/index.asp
The female parent (Ma) left a few days ago and the male parent (Da) will follow up later.
Isn't nature fantastic, we should all, take more care of all of it.
Progress pics of CL-415.
Cheers regards to all, Al
Last edited by rotorheid; Aug 23, 2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Not Santa's reindeer Dasher, Deshar the Osprey, Doh!
Aug 22, 2008, 03:37 PM
Restricted User
Al,
that's a very cool link. I will check through the next weeks. Hope, they make it to Africa in good shape. Thanks for sharing.
Stephan
Aug 22, 2008, 04:31 PM
Closed Account

Soldering frenzy over! Motors in and tested.

Hi Guys/Girls,

Stephan, your very welcome mate, I did fancy to go and see the wee sprogs when I am home next week, ho hum, maybe next year when they're back at Loch Garten in Speyside.
A happy few hours with the soldering iron and I have my motors,ESCs and power leads done and fitted. Will go for two 5g. servos for Flaperons/Ailerlaps, that will really keep me busy on approach! More tomorrow, I'm off to nod, after I check out the chicks progress.
More info here; http://www.rspb.org.uk/youth/learn/m...es/ospreys.asp
Cheers, regards to all, Al
Last edited by rotorheid; Aug 22, 2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Migration info link added.
Aug 23, 2008, 09:10 AM
Closed Account

Bet you thought 'T' was for Turbine.

Hi Guys/Girls,

Lots more done today, had a mental block on the ESC set up, could not get the No.2 motor to turn, just sat there beeping at me, like some Dalek with a flat battery warning I used the 12 amp ones bought from an Ozzie pal, very cheap, it only works if I power them at full throttle on the TX, never seen that before, in all otherways they are great. Power check with the GWS 8x 3.8 is a total draw of 11amps for 110Watts, should be good enough. I have two 1200mAh 3 cell packs to take with me. Weight wise everything inc cam 518g, no paint on yet. The 'T' tail is a suitcase packing requirement, it's not scale but I think it looks cool. More laters/tomorrow. Cheers, regards to all, Al
Aug 23, 2008, 10:36 AM
Square-rigger
if you make the Tailplane "detachable" why not go for the real cruciform setup ?
Aug 23, 2008, 11:14 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
Lmao.. Dalek with a flat battery warning .. Dr Who Fan Al ??
Aug 23, 2008, 07:59 PM
If it flies - I want one!

ESC hiccup possibility?

Al,
You've probably sorted it by now, but have you checked the throw direction, mix direction and offset (JR term for zero point) on the channel you are using for the second throttle? Sounds as if it is detecting full throttle as zero and arming only in that condition.
Ignore if obvious BS.
Cheers,
PeteM