Super Solution "DSLR" version! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 16, 2008, 02:20 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Build Log

Super Solution "DSLR" version!

The time has come to give this a try I know in the past I have stated that the Solution was capable of flight with a DSLR. With the old wing I know it would have worked... but it would not have had the slow flight abilites that most desire. By using the new wing (1200 sq in) I borrowed from my ORB and the new AXI 2820-14 with APC 14-7 this design this opens the door for the DSLR. I picked up a (refurbished) Nikon D40X this weekend and it has found a new home. I plan to test every aspect of the flight abilities (well almost ) of this setup. Follow along and see what happens

Firt things first!!! IMPORTANT!!! Do not go by the weight listed in all the reviews of this camera or any other DSLR for that matter. The weights are body only!! At least in the D40X case. I went in crunching numbers for around 18 to 19 oz for the camera since the reviews listed it at 17 oz to my surprise/dissappointent I ended up with a 28 oz camera oh well...after I added the numbers I am 2 oz heavier than the ORB. If you watch how the ORB flys in the video it is plenty slow and since the Super Solution has the same wing we "should" have a nice flying combo.

The Nikon D40X can be had (refurbished)for $469.00 this includes lens. The Canon Rebel XTI can be had for the same price. I know this because I had the choice today at National camera exchange. While I like Canon a LOT! I opt for the Nikon for a few reasons. (1.) it is lighter (2.) it uses SD and SDHC cards. (3.) All I have read says the "kit" glass is better. I do have a Nikon D70 and I like it so I went with the little brother Some of the AP crowd out there fly with the G9 Canon at well over $400.00 the DSLR could be an option if this bird flys as expected. I should have it up and shooting tomorrow.

The downlink setup will require a bit more. I ordered a small board cam and I will be attaching it to the view finder as there is no live video feed on the DSLR. The board cams can be had for pretty cheap. The link is listed below where I ordered mine from. Here are a pile of pics of the simple mods I made to the Solution to allow the DSLR to have it's best chance BTW...this plan I still transport in my Passat

Mike

Specs:

AUW 80.5 oz with downlink
wing area 1200 sq in
wingspan 80 in
motor AXI 2820-14
prop APC 14-7E
3s 2100 Max amps
ESC PH-45

PLANS ON THIS POST ARE THE LATEST REV

DSLR flight... http://www.whispershots.com/Other/Ae...8_2QpS3/Medium

Link for board cam: http://www.mavin.com/index.php/produ...ccd-with-audio

Link for ORB video: http: http://www.mvqf.com/power/Beast/The%20ORB.wmv

Link for Super Solution test flight with 11 oz payload:

http://www.mvqf.com/power/Beast/SUPER%20SOLUTION.wmv

Pics...
Last edited by power; Apr 09, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2008, 02:51 PM
Mike, the thought of getting that new camera onboard the "Super Combo" is exciting! Be sure to post the onboard AND ground to air vids!

Larry
Aug 16, 2008, 03:04 PM
I'm watching this with interest, with my total confidence now in the attributes of the Solution I am flying, and a canon rebel xt languishing (in fear suddenly) on the shelf.

Could you have moved the camera the one hole back on the mount shelf to help with cg?

How will you be transmitting/receiving the view from that tiny video cam?

thanks,
Ken
Aug 16, 2008, 03:18 PM
man i would love to get my d40 in the air....guess ill hafta build a bigger plane...SS just wont cut it
Aug 16, 2008, 03:38 PM
I will ask Leif nicely if he will video the first flight

Ken, I wanted to mount it back further but the body blocked access to my battery pack bay as it turns out the lens would have hung over the end anyway. I may fix this in the mod prints if this all works out. I am starting to get a few irons in the fire. I really have to get those ORB plans finished and posted. Stay tuned for the flight report...

Mike
Aug 16, 2008, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperture
How will you be transmitting/receiving the view from that tiny video cam?

thanks,
Ken
I will be transmitting the signal with my downlink TX to my RX and video goggles it will be like the video out on my A640. The small board cam will be mounted directly in the viewfinder. Honestly this little cam does not do all that bad for what it is. Did you see the video sample from the board cam link?

FPV Flight - May 12, 2008 (3 min 53 sec)

Mike
Aug 16, 2008, 08:08 PM

Video

That ORB video was absolutely brilliant! Smooth...The quality was excellent....what camera were you using there? Was that the D40?
Aug 16, 2008, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by copes
That ORB video was absolutely brilliant! Smooth...The quality was excellent....what camera were you using there? Was that the D40?

Thanks,

The camera on the ORB was the Canon A640 the D40 is not video capable.

Mike
Aug 16, 2008, 08:51 PM
FrankC
I would like to have an airframe capable of flying a D40X so this is very interesting to me. Just for curiosity though, why not use an IR remote to trigger the shutter instead of a servo? I have the GentLED system for my Pentax and like it, there is a version for the D40X. Just wondered if you would use one if you had it or prefer the servo method.
Aug 16, 2008, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC
I would like to have an airframe capable of flying a D40X so this is very interesting to me. Just for curiosity though, why not use an IR remote to trigger the shutter instead of a servo? I have the GentLED system for my Pentax and like it, there is a version for the D40X. Just wondered if you would use one if you had it or prefer the servo method.

Hi Frank, I was asked the same question this morning from Leif. Honestly I didn't know one existed and just went servo automatically. For now I will use the servo and research the IR switch a bit more. Thank you for mentioning it.

Mike
Last edited by power; Aug 16, 2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling...
Aug 16, 2008, 09:29 PM
FrankC
If you look on the GentLED site you will see the D40X listed as a supported camera. Obviously the IR controller will only handle the shutter so if you wanted to do anything at all with the zoom function you would need a servo to handle that. I think you would be fine with a fixed zoom position though. On my little Pentax I have both functions, I can set to one of three positions on the zoom. It is handy to have that ability on the mast but I think either normal or wide angle is where it would be set for aerial work.
Aug 16, 2008, 11:42 PM
Flying Kiwi
Power, I have a spare IR switch you can have for the project if you can wait the week it will take to get to you from Australia.
I am in the process of building a hotwire cutter so that I can build an Orb as the DSLR route appeals to the photographer in me. Are you using a prime lens on the D40? It looks like a zoom you have there which tend to be a little heavier in my experience. I am only going by the pics.
MNG
Aug 17, 2008, 12:52 AM
I'm looking at getting a DSLR for a photography course I will be taking this winter and I am also looking at the D40. I'll be following this thread with interest.

Why not look into a "solution" (sorry, but I could not resist the pun ) to mount the camera sideways as this seems to be the ideal position for picture taking as opposed to video.?

I was also just looking at how you are moving the wing around on the "Super Solution" and I think this might be a good solution (there's that pun again) to moving the CG around on the regular solution instead of adding weight to the plane. Hmmm, I might look into this as I set mine up.
Last edited by Zirt57; Aug 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM.
Aug 17, 2008, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNiceGuy
Power, I have a spare IR switch you can have for the project if you can wait the week it will take to get to you from Australia.
I am in the process of building a hotwire cutter so that I can build an Orb as the DSLR route appeals to the photographer in me. Are you using a prime lens on the D40? It looks like a zoom you have there which tend to be a little heavier in my experience. I am only going by the pics.
MNG
Hello MNG, I would be tickled to try the switch The lens is in fact just the kit lens that comes with the D40X 18-55 it really does not feel/look too shabby at all for an included lens. Hey... speaking of lens...where should a guy start with the lens setting anyway full wide or normal?

zirt57, the wing adjustment will work on any Solution. The removable spacer application I am tweaking a bit right now. The mods are simple...extend the wing seat lines forward and cut a new notch. Then slap another wing dowel in. As far as position for taking shots I prefer front mount on both video as well as stills. Makes aiming easier for me and I feel it makes for less motion blurr. Think of taking a picture out of a car (side) window moving 40 mph. Now tak a pic through the front winshield traveling at the same speed . That said there are folks getting great results from side mounts.

Mike
Aug 17, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hi Mike, the reason I'm thinking side mount is because it is easier to circle your subject to get a photo. i.e. if I'm taking a picture of a house for a Real estate client, taking photos from the side I would get lots more photos. When taking photos forward, if I don't get the photo I want, I then have to circle around again. If course forward facing does eliminate the blur so both have their advantages. Also, I'm not a great pilot so circling is easier for me.

Quick Reply