Grand Canyon NP today, 10,000ft ASL - RC Groups
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2008, 10:42 PM
SuperCub Crash Test Pilot
Gorgeous shots! I've really been wanting to get up to the Grand Canyon to take some AP, ever since getting into the hobby. You were lucky to be there on such a clear day.

- Matt
Aug 16, 2008, 05:21 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Great shots! You seem to have collected quite an audience in that last shot!
Aug 16, 2008, 09:19 AM
fast
this is North Rim, weather changes rapidly at such high altitude and last night thunderbolts were almost constant. sometime ago I saw photos of lightning strike and was amazed how it was possible to sincronize shutter but now magic is gone - just keep shooting cont. and it will happen.
yesterday I had few eagles and hawks coming close to my plane to check it out, they never attacked my plane.
WiFi is now available here at general store near campground, if it's too wet outside one can sit here at porch all day uploading images to rcgroups
Aug 16, 2008, 11:47 AM
It flew...nearly!
Excellent! Do you notice anything different about the air (easier to breathe, less easier to breathe) etc. at that altitude?
matthew
Aug 16, 2008, 12:02 PM
olivier
Awesome pictures!!!

But??? where do you land???

cheers!

olivier
Aug 16, 2008, 03:15 PM
fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck!
Excellent! Do you notice anything different about the air (easier to breathe, less easier to breathe) etc. at that altitude?
matthew
here you can actually breathe unlike almost unbearable rest of Arizona and Utah where temps are above 100F. Lots of greenery, cool air, and 20% chance of showers dayly this time of year.

@olivier: here at Grand Canyon you have some Grand landing zones ...plenty of grass on North Rim
watch this short clip recorded in April, also North Rim:
RC plane gets in and out of 3000ft canyon - Toroweap (1 min 11 sec)

this is the same plane used for AP yesterday
Aug 16, 2008, 07:40 PM
Luvin' Life
Wow, gorgeous pictures! I felt myself back away from the screen when you were flying over the canyon. I think I'm a little dizzy now. That was awesome!

God Bless ya,

Jay
Aug 18, 2008, 10:39 AM
fast

Best of Grand Canyon: Point Sublime

feels good when you land AP plane in one piece on a steep cliffs of most narrow section Grand Canyon (4miles rim to rim), battery shows 9% left and 2gb SD card 90% full, does it ? on top of all I have wireless internet and uploading pics taken 20minutes ago
Last edited by fmkit; Aug 18, 2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: pics added
Aug 19, 2008, 12:13 AM
very cool pic..great

guy
Aug 19, 2008, 01:23 AM
Is that an "uncased" FMA Copilot sensor I see there??

Jeff
Aug 19, 2008, 01:51 AM
All I can say is WOW! That scenery leaves me speechless!

I showed these pictures to my wife and told her that this is one of the places I want to visit before I kick the big one.
Aug 19, 2008, 11:04 AM
fast
yes it is,Jeff.
CPD4 can be 15g and my 36" plane is 1lb AUW w/SD1000 and 1.3AH LiPo
when the plane is really high I can only see 10watt LED beacon.

@zirt:
think of Grand Canyon as if it gets worst every day - there are thousands of heli and airplane tours happening daily thus polluting already bad air, even at Point Sublime where South Rim only 4 miles across you can't see it clearly and photographing is pointless
If you think of camping anywhere on the Rim beside campground near lodge you gonna hear aircraft roar all day long.
What you can see now maybe not visible anymore if you postpone your visit for a year or two
Aug 19, 2008, 01:13 PM
Nice Photos of Zion and the Grand canyon

It was nice meeting you at Zion park.

(Myself and my wife were on vacation from Canada and visiting Zion and we were walking down one of the trails when we saw a person getting ready to fly his RC Plane so we went over to see what he was up to and it turned out to be FMkit).

I was amazed at how little space you needed to land your plane! and how much wind you can fly it in as I would be too afraid to fly mine in that much wind.

We saw you again the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You were flying you plane in a meadow about 10 miles from the canyon as we were leaving the park. A beautiful day to fly as I heard it rained the next two days.

Too bad about your plane at Zion.

Rob