Aug 12, 2008, 05:18 PM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Build Log

Long project CFM F-15

I recieved this kit from Steve Harbin, a few yrs ago. I was to make glass ducting for it and give him the molds. Two very bad yrs for me, caused me to not be able to complete my obligation or do any builds until this yr.

I still plan on making the molds and this is starting presently. Steve is still welcome to them. I noticed the kit is no longer on his site.

I searched for threads on this jet, and found none. If anyone has any links to other builds, please post links. I am curious as to how others completed the "vague" ares of construction. As I understand, this was designed by Mark Turner. So no pitfalls are blamed on Steve, from myself.

So, I'm going in head first, and finish this, to the best of my ability. It will take a while. I have several kits to finish developing for Tom @ Warbirdkits.com. Mainly the successful A4 Skyhawk, designed by Airx and the redesigned Cutlass, by Roger Winger(which has flown under EDF power, finally after 6yrs). But the F-15 will get done!

For those not familiar, it is a twin 70mm. Approx 47" LOA/ 36" WS. And for those not shy about sticks, sheeting, and strip planking. I'm definetly not shy, and have been refered to as being mentally challanged, for liking this sort of thing. Oh..well..when my planes fly, I have the satifaction of knowing it was built with a very high percentage of my own sweat.

I had many pics of the fuselage framing. But..alas.. my old 40gig pc finally took a crap. And I cannot retrieve them. Thankfully, a few friends, came to the rescue and got me a new 160gig Emachine. Thank you, gentlemen! I was only out of comission for a few days.

Here's what I have so far. I'll post pics of the intake mold fabrication, in a "bit". As the jet is no longer avail., I decided to keep the moldings in one piece, L&R. And cut the ducts from the molds. The molds will be of the permanent type.

Fuzz
Last edited by St. Martin; Oct 03, 2008 at 06:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2008, 06:43 PM
I eat glue
Got the same kit! Steve's been going through a bit of personal crap the past while. I did the proto build of his F-18, didn't know the F-15 was off his site though.
Aug 12, 2008, 08:36 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2019, June 13-16
Hi Fuzz,
I'v been curious about that kit for a while now and am happy to see this build going on. If I remember right, this ones a belly flopper? Certainly no room in there for retracts. I see the elevators will be conventional instead of fully moving. As much as I like to stick to scale I think that's a good idea on a belly flopping F-15. Ripping one of the tailerons off on landing happened way to often with my single mini fan F-15.

Dan Eaton
Aug 12, 2008, 11:53 PM
I eat glue
Plans show retracts, could probably squeeze them in.
Aug 13, 2008, 05:37 PM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Hi baldguy, Dan, I wondered wht Steve had not answered my email. I hope everything goes well for him. He a good guy. Yes Dan, the gear mounts are made to accept the Robart 600 mechanicals and nose gear. Mounts are in the kit. I would have to travel to Woodstock, Ct to use them. The only place in R.I. to use retracts this small, is Quonset Pt. NAS. And thats been closed to RCr's for years. Same with Charlestown NAS.

Got the plan and side view templates done for the ducting. Not sure of the intake area, have not figured it. Square, so easy to do. Definetly more than 100% FSA. The exaust looks around 85%, approx. I noticed that the exausts taper on the outside only. The inside edge is strait back from the fan to bulkhead Q.

Fuzz
Aug 14, 2008, 11:23 PM
I eat glue
Looks good, I really should do mine, but then there's the F-14, the Su27 and the Me262 yelling at me too!
Starting to worry about Steve, haven't heard from him for a while.
Aug 15, 2008, 07:40 AM
Mighty Dane
Anyone have a link or information on how to get the kit or plan?

thanx in advance
Aug 15, 2008, 03:14 PM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Not sure if Steve has any left, of if he is selling it any more. But: http://classicflyingmachines.com/ Please be forewarned, if a person has not the ability to build a stick/sheet type build, he will have to have a lot of patience and some ability to think through the undeveloped areas. This is my third Mark Turner designed build. And they were all the same. It's as if he gave up, before completeing it. Or changed his mind on a few issues and did not change the cut files.

But I seen a flight video of it flying. Not sure if it was Steve or Marks efforts. It flew well. And with a labor intense build, a good semi-scale F-15 can be had. And as I said many times, I get a lot more satifaction seeing a plane "I" built, fly. For those that buy composite/fiberglass "kits"?, all the power to them.

I wish someone would build one of these, bald guy. Two heads are better than one. And I think there are kits out there, that got put away. In fact, a local friend Pete, gave me one he had stored in a closet for yrs.

Still working on the ducting. The rocket scientists are going to have a field day with my back-water method. But it works..

Fuzz
Aug 15, 2008, 07:51 PM
Anything St. Martin does is worth watching. Signing on for this...
Aug 15, 2008, 07:54 PM
I eat glue
You might convince me to start mine soon! Have to squeeze it in between other builds. I think 2wm400's with 700 watts each would be real nice in this bird, maybe with MAP retracts. A set of ducts would realllllllllllly help make up my mind!
Last edited by baldguy; Aug 15, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
Aug 16, 2008, 02:48 AM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Hi Larry! Always good to hear from you. BTW, the A4 Has flown 4 times. Dailing it in now. But lives up to it's nick name. Cutlass flys like a dream. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post10272574
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post10272428

I would love to use two WM400's in this project. As I don't have one on hand, I have to make the ducting to fit the minfan or Het units. What is the dia of the WM400? Will it fit in the same area as the mini/het? If so I could be persueded to make up a few extra sets of intakes.

Fuzz
Aug 16, 2008, 03:38 AM
Mighty Dane
I have build some of these types of airplanes before, and actually i also have a Pavel Bosak F15 plan, not startet yet, but i like this one. they seem almost same size

Ill send him a mail to see if one is in stock hidden somewhere.
Aug 16, 2008, 07:12 AM
I eat glue
I'll check my wm's this evening, but I'm 99.999999% sure they are just a drop in replacement for the minis, just has the motor sticking out the front of the fan instead of the rear.
Aug 16, 2008, 07:37 AM
Always looking UP
Actually I did the preliminary design for this F-15. Mark Turner was supposed to develop it into a kit. I also designed the CFM Mirage. Mark Turner had both of these kits but sold the rights to CFM, as he didnt have the time to follow through on its completion. Steve posted my name on his website as the designer but later removed it. Obvious updates were in order after the initial frame up and the first Beta builds, but if they ever got implemented is another story.

The F-15 was an exciting project many years ago. You shouldnt have any problems building this if you can design on the fly and implement the planking technique. With todays improved EDF systems and motors, it sure would be nice to see one ROG!
Aug 16, 2008, 12:55 PM
Big gov never Works
Thread OP
Ok Baldguy. Thats good info, Fanman. The design itself is sound. I have no problems with the vague areas. Just that it would be a down factor for most builders. Esp. in this age. Builders, percentage wise, are low. And a large portion of them could not build unless everything was spelled out.

I have retracts to fit this. Just no place to use them. My planes are safer, in this size, as belly floppers.

The ducting molds are coming along nicely. I should be glassing them tonite or tomorrow. I'll post pics later.

Fuzz

Quick Reply