Aug 15, 2008, 08:41 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Yes it is a good site, but has several issues. It catches the wind better than anywhere else up here but unfortunately this area and Qld are famous for mild weather. Waited 6 months for the big day when I got 250(Average windspeed was 32kn). That was New Years Eve. We have not had wind like that since. Quite frustrating. I had one day where I got 220's and the other day when Sean got his 174. Only a handful of fast days, at the lighthouse, in over a year. Still better than nothing.

The lighthouse would be so good if it weren't for the tourists. It isn't the sort of spot you can just go and fly. If the wind is under 25knots it is full of hangliders, right till sunset. Tandem hangliding, paragliding, and full size gliding are big business around here and they tend to dominate. It basically has to be over 30knots(to get everyone else out of the sky), with rain, and then we fly in between showers. This is the only way to get it without too many people walking around as well. I much prefer being out on a ridge with just other flyers around. Much more fun.

Don't let this stop you driving up Mr Kamikaze, there are heaps of other good flying/ds spots around, for us to fly, if conditions aren't huge.

This is why I think the southern states have quite an advantage, as ds is mostly about windspeed.

Eric
Last edited by Ezza; Aug 15, 2008 at 08:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2008, 08:47 AM
It flies!
It's a good hill but it's scary, I've only flown there a couple of times but each time I've thrown off there I wondered if I'd ever see the plane again.

Here's another speed:

Wizard Compact BPV
123 Andrew Von Berky, Lemon Tree Hill QLD, 18/5/2008, witness Sean Moloney
Aug 15, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza
This is why I think the southern states have quite an advantage, as ds is mostly about windspeed.
Eric
Let the sledging begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymanic
Here's another speed:
Wizard Compact BPV
123 Andrew Von Berky, Lemon Tree Hill QLD, 18/5/2008, witness Sean Moloney
Damn you guys have some nice planes
Aug 16, 2008, 04:41 AM
It flies!
The Wizard is one sweet plane, Andrew bought it second-hand from the US. We had an awesome day with it today. Andrew got a new PB of 138mph with only about 15kt wind. He really dug deep to get it too - we found almost by accident a really fast line that required diving further down the back than we normally would, perilously close to some high-tension power lines, and staying really low. Flying classic, fairly flat smallish circles we we could only get 100-110 then once we'd cottoned onto the new line Andrew started banging out 120s and 130s then the 138. Considering the relatively light wind and not-ideal conditions he really worked for it, so an absolutely top-notch result IMO - Andrew was consistently getting it low and holding the fast line, which took a bit of effort thanks to some turbulence on the back.

Wizard Compact BPV
138 Andrew Von Berky, Lemon Tree Hill QLD, 16/8/2008, witness Sean Moloney

Sean.
Last edited by Dymanic; Aug 16, 2008 at 05:05 AM.
Aug 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Hi guys, I have to apologize that I was completely unaware of this thread till Ezza emailed about it a coupla days ago. I just found it to post my new speed but Sean has beaten me to it! Thanks Sean.

But to give credit where it's due, Sean also flew the Wiz today and he owns the fastest speed for that plane and the fastest speed for the site.

Also BTW we're calling the site "Lemontree" as Lemon Tree Hill or Ridge gets too long.

Wizard Compact BPV
141mph, Sean Moloney, Lemontree near Dayboro, QLD, 16/8/2008, witness Andrew von Berky

PS we have some reports about DS including our efforts today on the Qld-based Windsock forum:
http://windsock.proboards76.com/inde...ead=548&page=3
http://windsock.proboards76.com/inde...ead=579&page=1
Aug 17, 2008, 04:08 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Thread OP
Well I sucessfully maidened my M60 yesterday. So hopefully I can get it on the list soon.
Aug 19, 2008, 05:43 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Watching this thread with great interest.I think big things could happen here in Oz.Good to see DSing is developing a healthy interest.Only new to DS but want more....now subscribed.
Aug 19, 2008, 07:23 AM
working to the closest cm

composite plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymanic
..snip...you could crack 200 very cheaply by building a 1.5M - 2M plank with a super-stout bagged wing and high wing-loading. If Ezza's burly, single-spar Reaper can go 181 with no signs of structural problems, think what you could do with a bagged wing. I'd love to build something like that .......
Hey Sean...
Come up with a design...Make some templates (I hate making templates) we'll cut some cores and bag a record braking plank..

@all.... great thread

cheers jeff
Aug 19, 2008, 08:04 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Thread OP
YEP! Australian records should be held by Australian planes. Get designing!
Brett - who still has trouble getting paper planes to fly
Aug 19, 2008, 08:09 AM
It flies!
Hey Jeff,

I might have to take you up on that! I have several designs already... just can't build as quick as I can design, constant repair work slows things down... My only concern is that a plank wouldn't last long on our fast sites, it'd be great at Bald Knob but we never get much speed there. We could probably land one safely at Lemontree (near Dayboro) by flying it into the lantana... That site's gotta dish up some really good speed one day!

Sean.
Aug 19, 2008, 09:23 AM
Soap Box Junkie
I found another speed, I knew Matt had done a big JW speed at Longy: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=89

Long Reef, Australia
Matt Chang
Jan 8th 2008
JW60 110 mph
Witness - Steve Henne
ProSpeed Radar

I think this is the video:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...reef+matt+jw60
Last edited by admodesi; Aug 19, 2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: found video
Aug 20, 2008, 05:47 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
Im getting ready for some wind here is two new JWs one 48" and one 60" got an email from soaring usa today and my gun is still two weeks away. Gives me time to build a couple more models for DSING.

Shane
Aug 20, 2008, 05:54 AM
Not a Doctor
Both great looking builds Shane. Nice work.
I have a JW60 sitting in the shed which need a little TLC. I was going to wait until summer, but after seeing that...........
Aug 20, 2008, 06:19 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Thread OP
jay dubbya currently sitting at 110! Need more.
Aug 20, 2008, 06:43 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
jay dubbya currently sitting at 110! Need more.

Mr K hopping this will do more than 110mph she is one tuff puppy and has an AUW of 80ozs 2264 grms.but waiting on some good wind a my GUN

Shane

Quick Reply