Aug 14, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Thread OP
Ok everyone she's up and running. 1st post in this thread has been updated and is now live. I've kept it relatively simple at this time.

It's divided into 2 areas. 1st is outright records, one each for Composite/Bulit Up and one for Foam. Note ultimately this is where you want your name to appear

The 2nd area is listed by plane in alphabetical order again divided into Composite/Built Up and Foam. I figure this is the easiest way to go in and find what the record currently stands at for your plane. Note that under each plane I will keep each pilots Max speed up to date. So eventually it will look like this

BLADE 2M CARBON
108 Keith Young Long Reef 5/7/2008 Matt Chang
102 Billy Blogs Somewhere 2/9/2007 Witness
98 Someone Else Big Hill 5/7/2008 Witness

If you are listed under a plane and up your record I will record it and move it in the list for that plane as necessary.

I think that's about it for now. Hope you all ok with it. Main thing is I want to keep it fairly simple and straight forward without going into too many size, build materials, etc categories. May do that at a latter stage if we get heaps of people on here and it becomes necessaty.

So... Post your speeds, as Eric said get video if you can or if you want you can PM me, and I'll try and keep it all up to date.

You all now owe me lots of money.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2008, 09:43 PM
by ZIPPER
Is it just DS or is it front side as well?
Because my front side foam speeds have been faster than the DS speeds so far.
Aug 14, 2008, 11:09 PM
Soap Box Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER
Is it just DS or is it front side as well?
Because my front side foam speeds have been faster than the DS speeds so far.
Hey Zipper what plane are you saying goes faster front than back? I know my 4m DG-500 goes faster front than back simply beacuse the wings want to rip off back-side... but still I want to know what it does on the backside, just for the giggle! I'll have the world's fastest Multiplex DG-500 (simply because its probably one of only ones left!)
Aug 14, 2008, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
Ok everyone she's up and running. 1st post in this thread has been updated and is now live. I've kept it relatively simple at this time.
Looks good except the owing money bit......

I think the current foam record is Eric Smith 181 with his reaper. Full details are on Rc Speeds.

Perhaps the outright speeds should list the top 5-10 pilots?

Otherwise it looks good. Guess i will have to start flying some more.
Aug 15, 2008, 12:59 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Thread OP
Looks like we are all going to need lots of money if Mr Smith is to be unseated.

Updates made, maybe I'll list 1st 2nd 3rd in the outright speeds.
Aug 15, 2008, 02:36 AM
knee ligaments are over rated
Nice work Mr Kamikaze . The cheques in the mail .
Actually I can see this costing me lots of money .
Aug 15, 2008, 03:43 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
Looks like we are all going to need lots of money if Mr Smith is to be unseated.

Updates made, maybe I'll list 1st 2nd 3rd in the outright speeds.
Hahaha. Yes the MC3 costs a pretty penny, but not as much as a good F3J or F3F plane. It is a ds'ers dream plane when conditions are strong. However, DC birds have gone faster than my pb.

My 181 reaper was a total beaten up wreck. I did a rebuild and cut 10 inches off the wing to get rid of most of the damage. Best flying foamie, I spent alot of time on the build and now it lives somewhere unknown. Either in the jungle at the lighthouse or on the bottom of the Pacific. Won't cost you too much to get a foamie over 181.

Me too Dingo, cheque is in the mail.

Eric
Aug 15, 2008, 04:00 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza
Hahaha. Yes the MC3 costs a pretty penny, but not as much as a good F3J or F3F plane. It is a ds'ers dream plane when conditions are strong. However, DC birds have gone faster than my pb.

My 181 reaper was a total beaten up wreck. I did a rebuild and cut 10 inches off the wing to get rid of most of the damage. Best flying foamie, I spent alot of time on the build and now it lives somewhere unknown. Either in the jungle at the lighthouse or on the bottom of the Pacific. Won't cost you too much to get a foamie over 181.

Me too Dingo, cheque is in the mail.

Eric

My new jw 60" should go alright i hope. It will be about 90ozs auw just need a good blow It will be the stiffest foamy around.

Shane
Aug 15, 2008, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza
The Opus has gone up in price a little in the USA but as Eric says it is about the best you can buy.

There are some double carbon birds due in a few weeks as well as a few special birds that are stronger than any of the birds flying in the states. Once they arrive I wil have a better idea of price and hope they will end up being MC3 strength in a 60" more affordable package.

Andrew
Aug 15, 2008, 04:40 AM
by ZIPPER
Quote:
Originally Posted by admodesi
Hey Zipper what plane are you saying goes faster front than back? I know my 4m DG-500 goes faster front than back simply beacuse the wings want to rip off back-side... but still I want to know what it does on the backside, just for the giggle! I'll have the world's fastest Multiplex DG-500 (simply because its probably one of only ones left!)

My Drongo has done 132mph and my Scorpion has done 121mph on the front, and my new Scorpion will be even faster. They go faster on the front that the back because we dont have any real good DS sites in Sydney.
Aug 15, 2008, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/c junkie
My new jw 60" should go alright i hope. It will be about 90ozs auw just need a good blow It will be the stiffest foamy around.

Shane
That's over 2.5kgs!!!!!!

Awesome.

Eric
Aug 15, 2008, 06:00 AM
It flies!
Great thread guys! Shame I missed it for so long. Awesome to see so many guys getting radars.

I've had my Reaper to 144 but it was limited by an unknown structural problem that caused an uncontrollable pitch and roll. It was 100% foam btw - I replaced the old wood fuse with a foam one prior to setting that speed.

Reaper 60:
Sean Moloney 144 Tallows Ridge 29/2/08 Witness: Eric Smith

Hoping to have a crack at Ezza's 60" speed with my Bird this summer but I'm sure he'll make that a very tall order with his new Kinetic! The Bird's all ready to go - the flap slop that stopped the fun at 174 has been cured. Also looking forward to some decent speeds with my Erwin, just need some wind.
Aug 15, 2008, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymanic
Great thread guys! Shame I missed it for so long. Awesome to see so many guys getting radars.

I've had my Reaper to 144 but it was limited by an unknown structural problem that caused an uncontrollable pitch and roll. It was 100% foam btw - I replaced the old wood fuse with a foam one prior to setting that speed.

Reaper 60:
Sean Moloney 144 Tallows Ridge 29/2/08 Witness: Eric Smith

Hoping to have a crack at Ezza's 60" speed with my Bird this summer but I'm sure he'll make that a very tall order with his new Kinetic! The Bird's all ready to go - the flap slop that stopped the fun at 174 has been cured. Also looking forward to some decent speeds with my Erwin, just need some wind.
Funny Sean, I was just going through the video footage of that day in Feb to see your speed so I could report it. 144 just before it wildly did several high g turns. Then it did it again at 135. Still the best flying I have seen with your reaper going crazy at 130 something and you managed to get control and punch out inverted!!

Watching the videos again has me all keen. Bummer that we probably won't get those conditions again until next February.

Eric
Last edited by Ezza; Aug 15, 2008 at 06:23 AM.
Aug 15, 2008, 06:34 AM
It flies!
Hehe! That was pretty scary stuff... The old girl was pretty beaten up by then. Wish i knew what was causing it, never did find the problem. I pulled it apart recently and there was no sign of damage to the spars etc. My best guess is the long tail which had been bodgily repaired a couple of times. That was one of the things that was so impressive with your modded Reaper Ezza, the super-stout tail and fin.

Quote:
Watching the videos again has me all keen.
Me too! The wind's howling outside as I write this, but it always dies down again come daylight.

Quote:
As Ezza points out the DC Bird has done 260 something now. The single carbon has done around 220 or 230 I think. You'd need a good hill though, the 260 was set at Weldon.

Personally I reckon 250+ would need a pretty special plane on our less than perfect sites, but I reckon you could crack 200 very cheaply by building a 1.5M - 2M plank with a super-stout bagged wing and high wing-loading. If Ezza's burly, single-spar Reaper can go 181 with no signs of structural problems, think what you could do with a bagged wing. I'd love to build something like that but our fast site needs flaps for a hover-landing or EPP for a controlled crash-landing into trees...
Last edited by Dymanic; Aug 15, 2008 at 06:42 AM.
Aug 15, 2008, 07:13 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Thread OP
Looks like most of my money will be spent on fuel for driving to Byron Bay. Seems like a good site.

Quick Reply