Feb 06, 2003, 08:48 AM
Skid Row Gang Flyer

Variable Geometry

Steve,

The P.1101 had (ground adjustable) variable geometry and was the inspiration for the X-5. I don't think I would bother with the extra weight and complexity though. Now, if this were a 90mm fan project...............
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2003, 12:45 AM
Thread OP
So far I've cut the parts, made the center crutch and tomorrow I start building. Looks like a pretty easy go, with any luck I should have a fuse in a couple of days. Then the sanding and filling, however I'm using planking so I should get a very straight suface to begin with. Pics tomorrow.
Steve
Feb 09, 2003, 03:02 AM
Thread OP
Parts are all ready to glue to the balsa crutch. Should frame up quick, it's very straight forward. I'll be planking the whole fuse with 1/16 strips. Time consuming but very accurate.
Steve
Feb 09, 2003, 04:45 AM
smug in granny panties

yeah

Looks awesome so far can't wait.

Barry
Feb 10, 2003, 03:46 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Barry.

Slow progress, but I want a very straight and contoured fuse.

Here's where I'm at so far.

Steve
Feb 11, 2003, 02:09 AM
Thread OP
Started the planking. Takes awhile but it lends good results. Not all the planking is exactly the same I'm finding, but it sands down well.

Tomorrow I'll have this side done and then I'll start the flip side.

It's nice to know as I'm building the plug will never crash. I like it.

Steve
Feb 11, 2003, 02:10 AM
Thread OP
one more
Feb 11, 2003, 03:49 AM
smug in granny panties

oh yeah

thats looking sweet Steve, Can't wait to see it all framed up. Can't wait to get one off you and rip up the sky! LOl Planks are definitley the way to go on that. What did you do just make extra's for bulkhead templates later?

Barry
Feb 13, 2003, 02:16 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Barry.

Got one half planked, the other side framed. Tomorrow I'll finish off the planking. Not easy but it sure gives you a good shape.

After that, filling and sanding, make the nose piece, add the wing and tail filets. I also have to make the exhaust cone and filet. Then it's fun with epoxy and glass, lots more filling and sanding.

Steve
Feb 13, 2003, 02:17 AM
Thread OP
another
Feb 13, 2003, 09:09 AM
Flt 76..N.bound..feet dry

National Markings

Steve

In case you noticed the markings on the second picture you posted (the Luft46 one) were a little different than the normal German. Those are the Hungarian national markings for WW II.

AL S
Feb 14, 2003, 04:21 AM
Thread OP
Allen,
I did notice, thanks.

Well it's all planked. Sanding like a fool. Next I'll add the exhaust cone and filet. Then the nose.

Bit by bit.

Steve
Feb 14, 2003, 11:18 PM
Thread OP
Sanding and filling all day. Then I made the tail cone using Will's plans. It's exact to his specs, not a foam cup.

I made it from 010 ABS with inside former rings to keep it round. This will be part of the fuse as will the nose.

It seems that I'll have no problem making the nose part of the fuse. Fuse will come out tail first so there won't be any negative draft problems. Just saves another step.

Tail will be a add on balsa piece that gets sanded to an airfoil shape.

More soon.
Steve
Feb 14, 2003, 11:19 PM
Thread OP
rear view
Feb 15, 2003, 05:28 AM
smug in granny panties

Yeaaaah!

Lookin good Stevo! I like the Huck, but you gotta love the tail on that one. Looke like your gonna have a pretty complete mold when your done too. that should make it a pretty easy light mold to pull. another thing I thought about on this one, the same as Huck, is that with the tail cone arrangement it's easy to play with several exit diameters. I like it! that and one of your pilots and I'd be a happy guy! Keep it up

Barry

Quick Reply