Mar 28, 2009, 06:22 PM
Very nice work Gelei.

Tim
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2009, 12:00 PM
Got everything glued together today. AUW is very close to 3mm foam version. This one is much sturdier, propably won't break in 20 pieces in small impact. I left the front grill and those extra side parts out on purpose.

scratchbuilt flying truck controls (0 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Retkimora; Mar 29, 2009 at 01:06 PM.
Mar 31, 2009, 01:48 PM
Made some progress on mine over the weekend.

Decided to airbrush some of it, just to break up all the white!

Trial fitted everything and it all seems to be ok, added some extra depron formers to support the wheels and also designed a fibre glass motor mount, should allow around 70degrees of movement, but doubt I will need that

Anyway, hoping to get it all glued up over the next few days and set it all up, then hopefully give it a test flight at the weekend.

Some pics of the model:
Mar 31, 2009, 01:50 PM
Motor mount assembly:
Mar 31, 2009, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Graham91
Made some progress on mine over the weekend.

Decided to airbrush some of it, just to break up all the white!

Trial fitted everything and it all seems to be ok, added some extra depron formers to support the wheels and also designed a fibre glass motor mount, should allow around 70degrees of movement, but doubt I will need that

Anyway, hoping to get it all glued up over the next few days and set it all up, then hopefully give it a test flight at the weekend.

Some pics of the model:
The paint job is amazing!
Cant wait to see it fly!
Mar 31, 2009, 02:00 PM
Insert comment here:
19Graham91
What are you using for Motor Mount?
Mar 31, 2009, 02:24 PM
Gelei Imre
And the lamps:
Front two clear white LEDs, rear two little red LEDs, glued with hot glue:

How working? See:

All the LEDs got 1-1 250 Ohm resistors in line, and plug them into the reciver with an servo plug.
Mar 31, 2009, 03:36 PM
You guys are all doing a great job.
Retkimora , that just doesn't seem like enough motor for a truck that big.

Tim
Apr 01, 2009, 01:04 AM
cheers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalywicked
19Graham91
What are you using for Motor Mount?
I have used 2mm fibre glass sheet for the motor mount, its what I use for the motor mounts on my normal shockies so can;t see it being an issue, should be more than strong enough, and nice and light too.

All I did was add a carbon fibre strip to the leading edge of the depron plate that holds the motor for extra support and it all seems pretty strong.
Apr 01, 2009, 10:27 AM
Insert comment here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Graham91
cheers guys

I have used 2mm fibre glass sheet for the motor mount, its what I use for the motor mounts on my normal shockies so can;t see it being an issue, should be more than strong enough, and nice and light too.

All I did was add a carbon fibre strip to the leading edge of the depron plate that holds the motor for extra support and it all seems pretty strong.
I like the way hinge is set up…
Seems like an easy way of doing thrust vectoring on foamies…
Apr 01, 2009, 10:24 PM
NewFlyer
Very nice development. But, again... we are not sure if this is the right flying model/setup yet, rite?

Would you be able to steer on the ground just with the rudder thrust?
Apr 02, 2009, 01:08 AM
Of course that's true, it may not work at all, its all going to be trial and error.

I am just working on the basis that I am using my standard shock flyer gear so should have more than enough power, Retkimora, as mentioned I do think you may struggle with power in yours, certainly if you are wanting to fly it!
For the initial flights, I will have the motor set at 0, I think the problem with them has been the lack of ability to adjust, by that I mean with the elevator connected to the motor, it is very hard to set the two up individually.

On mine I will using a separate servo for the elevator and another servo for moving the motor, once it has worked at 0 I will then mix the motor movement in to the elevator to see how that goes, and eventually just have the single servo, but yes it will all be trial and error.

I have built the model up now and put all the gear in it and I think the final weight should be around 160 - 170g, a little heavier than planned, but I can get it to 160g I think by using a smaller battery.

For me personally I have left out the steering as I would prefer to have it flying rather than on the floor, I have increased both the rudder and the elevators in size, so I will see if that is enough to steer it on the ground.

But all I will be interested in is getting the model off the floor and flying, so if I can do that then I may go back and sort the steering out if needs be, but just see how things go, going to be a bit of fun at the end of the day.
Apr 02, 2009, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
Retkimora , that just doesn't seem like enough motor for a truck that big
You know what? It flies. I tested it few minutes ago, have to use lots of throttle though. It takes off with very little up elevator.

Steering works fine with rudder only. No need for turning wheels, this one almost glides on the ground. I'll post a video when weather gets better. Now I know it flies.
Last edited by Retkimora; Apr 02, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Apr 02, 2009, 03:27 PM
great to hear your feedback, and even better to know it doesn't really need the wheels to turn.

Glad it went well, look forward to the video

Quick Reply