New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:06 AM
David22 is offline
Find More Posts by David22
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
Thanks Thomas, just making sure!
Make sure you do proper ground tests with your plane and all installed

Ground range testing with motor on as example is important
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2013, 05:14 AM
Gree is offline
Find More Posts by Gree
Registered User
Gree's Avatar
Hi Thomas. I am finally getting around to using one of here NR receivers you sent me for smashing my Spektrum receiver

Question though...

The receiver came with long coax antenna and a plug on the board, but this is huge, and when I make the coax into a dipole it will be too big for the Q450 quad I am building.

I saw a while ago in this thread someone asked if they could solder a piece of wire to the centre pin on the antenna plug on the bottom of the receiver instead. I don't think anyone answered this.

In short. How can I make and use a single wire antenna and attach it to the NR receiver? I am not a genius at electrics so a pic would help also what should the length of the wire be?

Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 07:34 AM
KillerbeanNL is offline
Find More Posts by KillerbeanNL
Registered User
KillerbeanNL's Avatar
Thanks Thomas, i will try that. Got RTH so i can safely experiment.

@ gree. Solder this one on the receiver board, then you can use any antenna you'd like.

Old Oct 26, 2013, 01:05 PM
CN I Dawg is offline
Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Crash=start of next project
CN I Dawg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Hi Thomas. I am finally getting around to using one of here NR receivers you sent me for smashing my Spektrum receiver

Question though...

The receiver came with long coax antenna and a plug on the board, but this is huge, and when I make the coax into a dipole it will be too big for the Q450 quad I am building.

I saw a while ago in this thread someone asked if they could solder a piece of wire to the centre pin on the antenna plug on the bottom of the receiver instead. I don't think anyone answered this.

In short. How can I make and use a single wire antenna and attach it to the NR receiver? I am not a genius at electrics so a pic would help also what should the length of the wire be?

Thanks.
You can make a single wire monopole antenna. Length should be about 172-173mm. A di-pole will always give you longer range but you may not need it.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 04:56 PM
thomasscherrer is offline
Find More Posts by thomasscherrer
Registered User
thomasscherrer's Avatar
Gree
to remove the connector from the NR you need a bit expert solder skils
else you overheat and damage the pcb

when the connector is removed, then a single wire can be soldered to the centre pad
make it 16 - 17 cm and you will be fine.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 05:40 PM
Varga42V is online now
Find More Posts by Varga42V
KJ6PYT (rock flyer)
Varga42V's Avatar
Hi Gree - I smashed spektrums too and my two nr receivers I was generously rewarded with came with some great long antenna whips, which aren't finished antennas. You cut the coax to the length you want, short for a quad, for example, and then solder an antenna wire cut to the length cited above to the center wire and a ground wire of same length to the outer shield mesh wire for a dipole type which I gather is stronger but has a flat sensitivity. Thomas has instructions on building these on his website. Great construction tips also to be found there. Then just plug it in to the rx as supplied. You might already know this, sorry, if so, but this way the rx doesn't see any danger.

Why can't you just strip the outer shield off one of the whips and cut the remaining inner wire to length and plug it in if you want no extension and non-dipole? Of course, since I have many surgically wrecked parts in my history, this could result in one junked whip. ??? Must the connector be removed, like Gree asks, can't a wire be soldered to the bottom center pin and leave the connector there?
Last edited by Varga42V; Oct 26, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:14 AM
Gree is offline
Find More Posts by Gree
Registered User
Gree's Avatar
Thanks guys.

Varga, thanks. I know about the web. Page for building the dipole. I could make a dipole from the cables Thomas supplied, but the problem is not having the room for this on the quad; hence me asking about the monopole option.

I am not going to do long distance with quad, and I would be happy with about 3km range (remember when 3km WAS long range!?). So hopefully the monopole will work fine for that, and I can mount it vertically on top of the quad.

Like Vargas said, I was hoping I could just solder the antenna onto the bottom of the centre pin without having to unsolder the plug. Will it hurt anything I do this?
Last edited by Gree; Oct 27, 2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 08:29 AM
CN I Dawg is offline
Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Crash=start of next project
CN I Dawg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Thanks guys.

Varga, thanks. I know about the web. Page for building the dipole. I could make a dipole from the cables Thomas supplied, but the problem is not having the room for this on the quad; hence me asking about the monopole option.

I am not going to do long distance with quad, and I would be happy with about 3km range (remember when 3km WAS long range!?). So hopefully the monopole will work fine for that, and I can mount it vertically on top of the quad.

Like Vargas said, I was hoping I could just solder the antenna onto the bottom of the centre pin without having to unsolder the plug. Will it hurt anything I do this?
Sorry, I misunderstood that you had a connector already soldered onto the pwb. Is it mcx or sma? Either way you have options for monopole antenna. This will work if you have sma connector. http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1032. Otherwise these for mcx connector http://drone-motion.com/tslrsantenna.html. These are tuned with sleeving on as the sleeving will change to center frequency slightly. Or Google and make your own. The hardest part is getting connectors.
Last edited by CN I Dawg; Oct 27, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 03:07 PM
AdamChicago is online now
Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Whats the wrst that can happn?
AdamChicago's Avatar
anyone know compatibility with Walkera Devo 12S. Looking for good 12 channel with side-levers and fully programmable...well and compatible with Scherrer LRS
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:24 PM
KillerbeanNL is offline
Find More Posts by KillerbeanNL
Registered User
KillerbeanNL's Avatar
Hey,

Today i soldered the SMA connector to the NR receiver. I think it looks great.
I have no plane finished to test it ..... :-(






Maybe put a little heat glue on the bottom? to hold the heatschrink tightly?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 05:30 PM
Gree is offline
Find More Posts by Gree
Registered User
Gree's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood that you had a connector already soldered onto the pwb. Is it mcx or sma? Either way you have options for monopole antenna. This will work if you have sma connector. http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1032. Otherwise these for mcx connector http://drone-motion.com/tslrsantenna.html. These are tuned with sleeving on as the sleeving will change to center frequency slightly. Or Google and make your own. The hardest part is getting connectors.
CN I Dawg thank you! The MCX connector is on my board, and that prebuilt antenna will do very nicely! I'm ordering one right now!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 06:02 PM
Varga42V is online now
Find More Posts by Varga42V
KJ6PYT (rock flyer)
Varga42V's Avatar
Yeah CN I Dawg - that link was worth bookmarking! Great monopole option.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 07:05 PM
kalikraven is offline
Find More Posts by kalikraven
Registered User
I ordered a few MCX connectors to update my Normal Range to Long Range with no Diversity...
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:44 PM
AdamChicago is online now
Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Whats the wrst that can happn?
AdamChicago's Avatar
Learned a very valuable lesson about the TSLRS RX with PSU yesterday. Make sure all of the soldered points and PSU leads are covered with shrink wrap...if not, cover them. Yesterday while making adjustments to my octocopter on the bench while powered up I noticed the TSLRS RX diversity antennas weren't attached and as went to plug the first one in the RX tilted back a little and the PSU leads touched the CF plate the RX was foam-taped to and since CF is conductive it shorted/burned the RX and traveled through the servo cable(s) and through the Naza V2 controller and also burned the M1 ESC..$200 bye, bye. I'm lucky the Naza didn't burn but now I'll forever be suspicious of it.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:18 AM
thomasscherrer is offline
Find More Posts by thomasscherrer
Registered User
thomasscherrer's Avatar
you can say this about any open hot ends, and battery connectors !!
take care, and isolate stuff, you can come along way with heatshrink
and hot melt glue, stuff that cost 20 cents, and takes 20 sec to add, can save you
200 $ and alot of pain and wasted time waiting for new parts to show up..
we do offer a check and repair service,
actually we do have a look, and tell you how much if broken, for free..
so just a stamp and send it to our support team.
better than the trashcan.. you can ask alot of customers about how lucky they have been with the repair service,


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Long range flight using new DMD 868Mhz RC equipment tron FPV Talk 502 Jun 10, 2015 08:16 AM
Idea Long Range RC pmarek UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 22 Nov 07, 2011 07:17 PM
Long Range RC Link? cloudy Radios 2 Aug 09, 2008 01:11 PM
long range radio system suggestions?? oracle_9 Thermal 15 Aug 09, 2008 11:44 AM
Discussion Long Range 2.4 Ghz Wireless RC Camera edplane Aerial Photography 8 Apr 18, 2008 09:24 PM