Jul 16, 2009, 12:06 PM
Questionable judgement
No I have 2 of the older LR receivers. I do however have 1 of the NR and another on the way. This is a highly underrated receiver in my opinion and for the price is a wonderful bargain. Here is a picture of the plane I'm using one in. Be prepared for an amazing video soon.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2009, 12:11 PM
Questionable judgement
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasscherrer
>I just ordered this antenna. Is it a good one for the LRS Thomas?
>http://www.hamstick.com/9440b.html

eh, I dont see they mention the frequency range ??
you got to call and ask if this one is for 430-440 MHz
why dont that say that BIG and loud what frequency it is for,
or I am blind ?

http://www.hamstick.com/440base.
It is the top one. It says for 446mhz. Is that close enough?
Jul 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Bracky nice plane.

I have something like that will fly with Thomas' rx as well. But will use the orrigional rx.

For the vertical antenna I am going to use a piano wire antenna and tie , non stretch fishing line on a few angles, so not to get any flutter with the antenna at high speeds and manuvers.

David22
Jul 16, 2009, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb
I'd say without upgraded antennas you're going to potentially start having problems around 1/2 mile. It varies considerably based on surrounding conditions like hills, trees, buildings. If you want to go a mile, simply getting a decent antenna on the plane ($15), and a patch antenna on the ground ($55) will gain you some considerable range. Your future upgrade would be an Oracle and a second RX/patch antenna and the 7W booster for Thomas's system. From reports I've seen here, I'd think you could get away with no booster for at least a mile, maybe two, maybe more?
Alright, thanks.

For now I think i'm just gonna get some 900mhz 500w video gear. And maybe keep adding on better antennas, an OSD, GPS, etc. as I get better at FPV. Thanks for all your help. I have a feeling i'll be ordering some stuff from you in the upcoming months.
Jul 16, 2009, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
hum an antenna that is uptimized might be good for 430 too
but I dont know, you should ask them, have they a gain and swr curve
vs frequency ? and also a radiation pateren will be nice, so you know where its
uptimal angle to plane is.
Jul 16, 2009, 03:38 PM
Suspended Account
Someone gave me this for my ground tests.
david22
Jul 17, 2009, 06:18 AM
On a holiday?
Hi all!

I've finally found out how to mount the Tx on my Futaba 12FGA. I haven't built it yet but I think it would be a good solution. What do you think? I will of course disconnect the antenna on the inside and also change to a longer M3-screw inside the 12FGA-unit.
Jul 17, 2009, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
wow sounds like a good idea, the 2 or 4 screws in the LRS TX is not long enought
to be used for this, but similar screws that are longer can be used,
good 3D work :-)
Jul 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Thomas, I'm setting up an easystar for fpv. The transmitter I want to use is a Futaba T7CP - as I'm able to use the Immersion rc headtracker via the trainer port. Is it possible for me to use one of your long range transmitters in conjunction with the headtracker on this radio?
Cheers.
Cadders
Jul 18, 2009, 07:51 AM
Thread OP
if the T7CP can input and out put PPM at the same time, you wil be fine
or if the HT can input and merge and then output PPM you are also fine,
the LRS tx just need a normal PPM input, then it is happy
Jul 18, 2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks for that Thomas, how do I go about purchasing a LR tx and rx?

Thanks
Cadders
Jul 18, 2009, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
post 1 will inform you all about that,
I see you figured it all out, I better go and get busy, I have several orders
waiting...
Jul 18, 2009, 04:20 PM
On a holiday?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasscherrer
FUTABA users be warned !
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1079459
also please see my post #19 in that thread,
I still have no idea what caused this, I have seen a pictures of his futaba,
it is tiny SOT23 diodes that got fried,
if this is correct and some futaba units deliver power to the student
connector via such tiny diodes, I do not recommend you power your LRS using this connector !
I dont own a futaba, I dont know the exact type that caused this problem,
I will be happy if LRS users double check for correct pin used and no hot diodes
in their futaba !
also with the new 1W and even 2W TX box, you can imagine the current usage is much higher, so this is a potential problem..
I suggest adding much larger diodes, or maybe a direct wire from the power switch
to the V+ switched, will also solve this.
Thomas, since I have a 12FG and I guess the same pinout on the connector as this guy you recommend me to change the power and not use the one in the trainer port? How should I do that, just rewire the red power (+) cable to go directly from the battery (+) ? Can the ground (-) still be used from the trainer port?

So how many here use the Futaba square trainer port to power their LRS-TX? I don't want to fry my 12FG but on the same time it would be really nice to go with the current configuration instead of a lot of rewiring and extra cables and connectors. For instance this problem should be the same whether I connect using the square trainer output or use the tx-module port (as is availible on www.readymaderc.com)?
Last edited by boopidoo; Jul 19, 2009 at 03:02 AM.
Jul 19, 2009, 08:30 AM
Thread OP
I would ohm check and wire check and track thickness check the ground wire first,
inside your futaba rc unit, if you find a diode or thinn pcb track there,
add a thicker wire from battery input points and to trainer connector.

I would do the same with positive power, from battery to on/off switch and to the trainer connector, now you can use the 1W and 2W options
and dont fry your futaba,

I have not heard any problems repported with 0.5W units,
they dont use so much current as the 1W or 2W does.

if you dont like to modify inside your futaba, use external powersupply
to the LRS TX box in case you want to use the 1W or 2W modes.
5 to 25V is accepted as input voltage.
Jul 19, 2009, 03:14 PM
Questionable judgement
My FPV Stryker is coming along nicely. I took it out for the second time today after making some changes to the layout. I burned three packs through her and am quite pleased with the result although there are several obvious improvements I can make after watching the video.

The Normal Range receiver provided excellent control out to a mile with just the stock 500 mw and with the tx antenna parallel to the ground. I'm quite sure it can go much further.

If you manage to watch all the way through the video you will see my confidence increasing and some pretty fun low and fast flying.

(12 min 21 sec)

Quick Reply