Aug 08, 2008, 10:00 AM

Sop

Your sure using that 2" foam with that airfoil! Whats the root on this one? When I saw your pics, I could tell its a bigger wing. So is this a even slower / hi lift wing? Should carry a good size payload...Great!!!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2008, 12:08 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Thread OP
The root/cord is a smidge over 15" the wingloading numbers come out to about the same as the Solution. The difference is in the drag. With more wingspan as well as area there is a lot more drag to go with the lift. In my mind this should equal to a slower flying airframe. I do know that I have the power to overcome the drag

We will see what happens....

Mike
Aug 08, 2008, 12:08 PM
Happy landings
Quote:
Originally Posted by power
Paul, you will be the first to get plans if it flys well
Great! My wife and kids will be traveling from next Wednesday. Make sure you produce those plans before then
Aug 08, 2008, 12:55 PM
It flew...nearly!
Highly creative! Look forward to seeing how it flys. Also look forward to a "How to" on foam wings... Preferably a method that doesn't require a designated room, I have to work on the dining room table.
matthew
Aug 08, 2008, 02:25 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Great design Mike! Good luck with it's testing.

-Tim
Aug 08, 2008, 07:26 PM
Happy landings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck!
Highly creative! Look forward to seeing how it flys. Also look forward to a "How to" on foam wings... Preferably a method that doesn't require a designated room, I have to work on the dining room table.
matthew
I cut my wings on the kitchen table.
Aug 08, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thread OP
Well guys, the maiden went very well. The plane is rock solid stable and lands like a pussy cat. There are a few minor things that bugged me but I feel they can be worked out.

(1.)There is a small amount of prop noise similar to the pusher config on the Solution but a lot less.

(2.)The plane did fly very slowly but I feel it can fly slower. The 7 pitch prop does not help matters here. I am going to order an APC 14-6P and give it a go. It does have a bunch of thrust but not what I expected. The 3s 2100's are not feeding the motor what it wants at WOT. Since I don't have the 3s 2500s yet we will try Leif's A123 4s pack and give the monster a dose of voltage

All this said I am really just picking at things trying to optimize. The plane flys extremely well. One thing I noticed is the onboard video did not have any fast flits or bumps I feel this is from the 80" wing. I am very pleased so far but there is more testing coming. I will have the video up tomorrow. Leif shot some good footage so it should be entertaining..

Mike
Aug 08, 2008, 11:28 PM
All right Mike !! Sounds really good, can't wait.
Aug 09, 2008, 12:23 AM
Get the 13x4.7 or the 14x4.7 APC slow fly... I have tried them all
and these prop have by far the most static thrust you can get...!!

Not much top end but at speed the current just goes way down..

Eddie Weeks
http://www.aerialphotobatonrouge.com/index.html
Aug 09, 2008, 06:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWeeks
Get the 13x4.7 or the 14x4.7 APC slow fly... I have tried them all
and these prop have by far the most static thrust you can get...!!

Not much top end but at speed the current just goes way down..

Eddie Weeks
http://www.aerialphotobatonrouge.com/index.html
Hi Eddie, thanks for the suggestion. Please don't take this as a flame as I am just going by the manufacturer's rules and what I have found.

I see quite often folks posting on using the APC slowfly series on high powered motors. The props are not intended for these applications. APC recommends a top RPM for the 14" sloyfly at 4642 I am waaaaaayyyyyy over that limit. The reason for the increased thrust on the slowfly series is the tips are super wide so they grab a ton of air at lower RPM. (design intent) These props flex forward badly at exceeded RPM. Another important thing to remember about the Slowfly series is that they are amp hogs. They will draw a pile more amps at the same RPM of the APC E series. I have seen planes shed blades before and a 14" blade could hurt a bit. Here is the Manufacturers formulas for RPM limits on the different style props.

http://www.apcprop.com/html/rpm_limits.html

Mike
Aug 09, 2008, 07:13 AM
I would like to point out that there was absolutely no wind on this flight. It would have been nice to have another plane along to use as a comparison.
Aug 09, 2008, 07:38 AM
Thread OP
I just looked at the Solution video again and IMO the ORB does seem to fly slower. One thing about flying in no wind it gives a real airframe speed test when there is wind the airframe is always being held back making it seem like it is flying slower. Taking into consideration that this was a zero wind situation this plane flys very slow....

You will be able to compare videos this afternoon sometime

Mike
Aug 09, 2008, 09:45 AM
oh.. I did not see how large the motor was..

I have been running 800 watts 4S on 3582-0800 for hundreds of flights
with slow fly props with no problems.

They work well for my application.

Eddie
Aug 09, 2008, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWeeks
oh.. I did not see how large the motor was..

I have been running 800 watts 4S on 3582-0800 for hundreds of flights
with slow fly props with no problems.

They work well for my application.

Eddie

Well heck, if you are running 800 watts and they still stay together I might just take a few amp readings and give one a go. I would not be running the RPMs to the max all that often anyway just when I need it

Thanks for the feedback...

Mike
Aug 09, 2008, 10:02 AM
Here is that plane is action.... Its really 2 x 800 watts (twin)

Its quite the POS

RC Trying to fly in ground effect (0 min 28 sec)

Eddie

Quick Reply