Spectrum DX6i service menu (calibration) - RC Groups
Aug 07, 2008, 12:16 PM
Discussion

Spectrum DX6i service menu (calibration)

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP ON THIS, AS I CANNOT HELP.

For brave ones this is what i found out.

Ensure that "AIL D/R", "FLAP/GYRO", "ELEV D/R", "GEAR/F MODE", "RUDD D/R" are in 0 position (UP) and MIX/TH HOLD is in 1 position (DOWN).

1. Turn OFF your Spectrum DX6i
2. Push both dx6i horizontal trims at the same time to the direction of POWER switch. (Push Left trim to the right and right trim to the left)
Hold them so and now turn ON your dx6i.

You should see version information if you still hold trims.

If you release trims then dx6i shows calibration summary menu.
Code:
	T	A	E	R
U	915	956	947	956
M	472	504	508	544
D	043	067	082	060

T - THRO stick
A - AILE stick
E - ELEV stick
R - RUDD stick
U - up position of stick
M - middle position of stick
D - down position of stick
Now it gets interesting.

* Flip the AIL D/R switch down and you are in the UP position calib. menu. Move your sticks to set new UP position values. System shows only highest values. To get summary menu just flip the AIL D/R switch up.

* Flip the FLAP/GYRO switch down and you are in the MIDDLE position calib.menu. In this menu you can set new middle values for sticks
to get summary menu just flip the FLAP/GYRO switch up.

* Flip the ELEV D/R switch down and you are in the DOWN position calib.menu. In this menu you can set new down values for sticks. System shows only lowest value to get summary menu just flip the ELEV D/R switch up.

* If you flip the MIX/TH HOLD to UP and DOWN (LCD goes blank in UP position) then original calib. data is reloaded.

SAVING NEW CALIB. DATA - in the summary menu flip the MIX/TH HOLD to UP (screen is blank) and press Roller.
It will beep few times and will go in to standard SETUP MONITOR menu.

* SW TEST (switch test) - in the summary menu flip the MIX/TH HOLD to UP (screen is blank) and flip the GEAR/F MODE to DOWN

Before recalibrating your DX6i please write down your org calib. data because you may need it

Sorry for my bad english.

NB!!! Use this information only when you know what you are doing!!!
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP ON THIS, AS I CANNOT HELP.
Last edited by mcmatrix; Aug 07, 2008 at 04:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2008, 01:32 PM
Inciting Riots
Code:
   T   A   E   R
U 915 956 947 956
M 472 504 508 544
D 043 067 082 060

T - THRO stick
A - AILE stick
E - ELEV stick
R - RUDD stick
U - up position of stick
M - middle position of stick
D - down position of stick
to make it easier to read.
Aug 07, 2008, 06:16 PM
Wow! Thanks, it works. By any chance did you find a menu, to set the battery alarm voltage?
Aug 11, 2008, 11:50 PM
How do I go back to original values if the new ones don't work out? I am assuming this is to fix the travel of your servos under the monitor function. i just got my dx6i and in the monitor section at +100% rudder(stick), I get +100% rudder(lines up with mark), with -100% rudder, I get est. -95% rudder(just short of 100% mark). Will this fix it?

Jared
Aug 12, 2008, 12:22 PM
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmatrix
SAVING NEW CALIB. DATA - in the summary menu flip the MIX/TH HOLD to UP (screen is blank) and press Roller.
It will beep few times and will go in to standard SETUP MONITOR menu.

* SW TEST (switch test) - in the summary menu flip the MIX/TH HOLD to UP (screen is blank) and flip the GEAR/F MODE to DOWN
I have 2 questions (not that I'm actually going to do this ) --

1) to set new values for high stick positions, do you move the sticks all the way up AND to the right? (and for low position hold full low and full left?) If the sticks are pushed straight up or straight down, the pots for the rudder and aileron channels are still at mid-stick.

2) is the SW TEST bullet a separate item or part of the procedure to save the new settings?

Just curious.

Edit: Your English is better than many native speakers I have known!

Dave
Last edited by hancockdw; Aug 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Your English is FINE.
Aug 13, 2008, 03:32 AM
Quote:
to make it easier to read. - village_idiot
Thank you.
Quote:
Wow! Thanks, it works. By any chance did you find a menu, to set the battery alarm voltage?
Unfortunately not

Quote:
How do I go back to original values if the new ones don't work out?
You just have to set same values as orig. with sticks.

Quote:
I am assuming this is to fix the travel of your servos under the monitor function. i just got my dx6i and in the monitor section at +100% rudder(stick), I get +100% rudder(lines up with mark), with -100% rudder, I get est. -95% rudder(just short of 100% mark). Will this fix it?
If you have not programmed/adjusted your rudder travel endpoints then i think that stick recalibration will fix this.
You just recalibrate your RUDDER stick DOWN or UP value.
I have same problem with my THRO stick. I have to press strongly my THRO stick to reach THRO minimum. If i just release my THRO stick in lower position then in MONITOR screen travel line is not up with end mark (not 100%).

Quote:
is the SW TEST bullet a separate item or part of the procedure to save the new settings?
Yes, it is separate item/function and not related with saving procedure.

Quote:
to set new values for high stick positions, do you move the sticks all the way up AND to the right? (and for low position hold full low and full left?)
To set UP values then Yes, you should move your stick to maximum position sticks can reach (full up and full right) and for low DOWN values full low and full left.
When adjusting UP or DOWN or MIDDLE you see from LCD sticks numeric values.

NB! Only recalibrate your sticks start-, middle or endpoints if you have something wrong with your factory calibration. ! Do not try fix working system

Quote:
Your English is better than many native speakers I have known
Thank you
Last edited by mcmatrix; Aug 13, 2008 at 03:38 AM.
Aug 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
Do you know how to access the mode menu in order to change from mode 2 to mode 1?

Yoram
Aug 13, 2008, 05:31 PM
Wow, TigerPilot. From your other thread, I was able to open the pdf file:
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=815075
I can confirm there is a Mode menu. The pdf also show how to mechanically swap the sticks. So here is the basic procedure:

1. Go to "COPY/RESET" menu and click to go inside
2. Click "RESET"
3. When asked "SURE? NO/YES", don't respond, but highlight the "list" button in top right
4. Move the "AIL D/R" switch back and forth about 3-4 times
5. Then the Mode Menu shows up.

So maybe there are other hidden menu, like setting the battery alarm voltage.
Nov 02, 2008, 01:13 PM

Thank you!

A big big thank you to mcmatrix!

This solved my stick problems after changing
the dx6i to mode 4 - center stick and max values
off - had to set atv and sub-trim for every model
to compensate

Your instructions worked like a charm. Thanks again!

Thomas
Dec 08, 2008, 04:49 PM
is there any way how to switch the sound of the dx6i off?

thank you
Jan 26, 2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator
At the manufacturers request we have moved this thread and related threads to this forum. Information like this should not be in the main forum.
Feb 16, 2009, 05:48 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Woo hoo, after doing the mode 1 to mode 2 switch, at last I have centred controls !!

Thanks!
Mar 13, 2009, 06:51 PM
Technology Aficionado

Not getting full travel

I'm not sure if ForceFedDSM has the same problem I have, but let me ask.

With all trims and subtrims zeroed, no mixing, etc., my left aileron is 'missing' that last 20% of travel. In other words, if you watch the monitor, as you gradually move the right stick to the left, when you get to about 80% travel on the stick, the monitor stops. You can jiggle the stick between the left stop and about 80% and nothing happens. Nothing there.

Adjusting the travel will move the endpoint on the MONITOR, but whereever that it, it doesn't move at all once the stick reaches that piont.

I discovered this when I was trying to setup my gyro and tail on my Blade 400. I thought it was the servo, then the gyro, etc. until I finally discovered that while operating an airplane, it reached end of travel as I said, at about 80%.

Can this calibration method fix this? Or more likely, is it possible that something inside has to be adjusted, such as the alignment of the pot? After which, of course there will be a need to re-calibrate the center point. I am guessing that I need to "move" it to the left and steal some of the reserve travel that (hopefully) exists on the right. If I do that, the center point will move too.

I hope someone out there understands my babbling. Has anyone opened up one of these? I'm sure it's out of warranty now, so I don't think Spektrum will pay for it.

Jim C
Mar 14, 2009, 12:01 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cioffij
I'm not sure if ForceFedDSM has the same problem I have, but let me ask.

With all trims and subtrims zeroed, no mixing, etc., my left aileron is 'missing' that last 20% of travel. In other words, if you watch the monitor, as you gradually move the right stick to the left, when you get to about 80% travel on the stick, the monitor stops. You can jiggle the stick between the left stop and about 80% and nothing happens. Nothing there.

Adjusting the travel will move the endpoint on the MONITOR, but whereever that it, it doesn't move at all once the stick reaches that piont.

I discovered this when I was trying to setup my gyro and tail on my Blade 400. I thought it was the servo, then the gyro, etc. until I finally discovered that while operating an airplane, it reached end of travel as I said, at about 80%.

Can this calibration method fix this? Or more likely, is it possible that something inside has to be adjusted, such as the alignment of the pot? After which, of course there will be a need to re-calibrate the center point. I am guessing that I need to "move" it to the left and steal some of the reserve travel that (hopefully) exists on the right. If I do that, the center point will move too.

I hope someone out there understands my babbling. Has anyone opened up one of these? I'm sure it's out of warranty now, so I don't think Spektrum will pay for it.

Jim C
Jim,

Sounds exactly like a calibration error. That is exactly the problem I had, although mine was because I had swapped the leads around to do the Mode 2 to Mode 1 conversion. You would have to assume the calibration was not set properly at the factory, in which case you would always have had the problem, but if the problem is new, then perhaps something has happened to your pots. Anyway, one sure way to find out. The calibration change is easy to do - give it a try!

Regards,
Harrow.
Jun 24, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to change from mode2 to mode4 in the software menu?
Or do you still need to do wirechanges inside?

Thanks
Ruud