Aug 06, 2008, 03:18 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fast foil design discussion.

I have been reading here for a few weeks now and like the place.

I am very interested in designing and building a high speed foil borne boat.

At present 4 of the boats that I have are my own design and built with varnished balsa and have almost all of the hardware hand crafted. They are all 05 motor size running on 6 cells. I have a Cat, Hydro, Rigger and a Canard. Iíll get some pics up somewhere soon.

Back to the Hydro foil.
I have seen a pic somewhere of a fast foil that I believe may have been made by Hydrofoils Inc.
It is long and narrow with winglets at the front that hold small inward canted foils, I do not recall the rear arrangement.

As I have a lot of fun with my rigger I see the next step to be a foil boat of a similar layout. Indeed I could simply fit a set of foils to my rigger but that would require major backend rework and I would lose the rigger, so a new hull needs to be built.
I have one hull that may make a good test rig for foils as it was the test rig for many of the design parameters for my hydro and rigger.

Does anyone have pics of a boat that loosly fits the description of a rigger with small frontal foils.
Or does anyone have some good suggestions as to how I should kick off this project.

This WILL be fun !!

Cheers
Simon.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2008, 04:05 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Simon,

It will be a fun project, but a foiler will not be faster than your rigger, due to the drag of the foils.
Unless you shape the foils in such a way the boat will run on the foils, like the running surfaces of the rigger, in stead of the foils being submerged, like the 1:1 crafts.

What you'll have then, is basically a rigger (or a canard), planing on stelts...

Regards, Jan.
Aug 06, 2008, 04:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled

What you'll have then, is basically a rigger (or a canard), planing on stilts...

Regards, Jan.
Jan
Now that might look quite interesting

O.k I will accept that it will not be as quick as the rigger if all else is equal being basic overall dimensions and power system.
Given that my Canard is not far behind the rigger for speed, then the shovel hydro then the cat (which is stil a nimble mover) Is it beyond my expectations to build a "Foiled hydro/rigger" that will at least run with the rest of the team for speed.
Naturally the others all have high aerodynamic lift and run quite high/dry if not a little loose.

I think a little T&E with lots of error may be in order here.
Right where has that prototype hydro hull walked off to ???
Aug 06, 2008, 12:03 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
I seem to recall a company that had a photo of boxes and boxes of
fast model hydrofoils, but that might have been Hydrofoil Inc.
I believe the rear propeller strut of the Hydrofoil Inc models acted
as the rear foil. ...In fact, you can just see it on their "publication" page.
Dual vertical struts coming down and then angling in to support the prop
shaft. That and the front rigger foils should get you flying.

Aug 11, 2008, 01:51 PM
Go Fast, Turn Left
I found some references to other fast hydrofoil designs, but they do not appear to be in production anymore. You might be able to get the back issues.

Radio Control Boat Modeler, Vol.10, No.2, February 1996. ISSN 1043-8009. Published seven times a year by Air Age, Inc, Wilton CT, USA. Features a three page articles with photos of a 24-inch long fast electric hydrofoil model produced by Hydrofoils, Inc. This model is no longer produced.

Model Boats, Vol.47, No.558, 27 June 1997. ISSN 00819-8277. Published by Nexus Special Interests Limited, UK. Features a four page article with 13 photos and a small arrangement drawing of the Zytiron 24 model racing hydrofoil produced by Hydrofoils, Inc. This model is no longer produced.

Model Maker & Model Boats, Jan 1966, "The British monthly journal for all model makers," includes an article on Japanese hydrofoil models. No details available.

Jim
Aug 11, 2008, 02:29 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
You can get a pretty good overview, and some
analysis on the Japanese Hydrofoils here on RCgroups.
Yoichi Takahashi is the premier builder of RC hydrofoils, and
he posts his work here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=39492

Quick Reply