Thread Tools
Old Aug 03, 2008, 01:57 PM
440GTX is offline
Find More Posts by 440GTX
Registered User
Discussion

My EDF Launch System


I build a Launch system for my twister.
If there in No wind I sometimes have trouble.
A tricycle Launch System
This thing works GREAT . Mount the Jet on the Launch System
point down the runway and GO !!! . Note the small pin/wire
on the front to hold the jet on untill LiftOff.
VERY eaisy and Quick Build.
I call it the GLS 5000 ( Ground Launch System model 5000 )
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2008, 07:14 PM
space 1 is offline
Find More Posts by space 1
Registered User
neat i like
Old Aug 04, 2008, 12:54 AM
therealhiphop is offline
Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Registered User
therealhiphop's Avatar
440GTX

Looks good! A while ago I was doing a lot of research on launch dollies, and although I did find a couple here, there aren't that many.

It really doesn't look like you need it at all. That bird should fly right out of your hands. I have an F-16 that weighs 35+ oz and I could almost launch it by hand. Although I ended up building a bungee launcher, I like your version of the dolly. Perhaps you should post more details like, does it have steering, or, how does the hook hold the jet and then release, etc. Nice work!
Old Aug 04, 2008, 08:07 AM
twang is offline
Find More Posts by twang
Registered User
twang's Avatar
That is ridiculously simple and so has to work. Do you use it in grass?? I'm gonna build one. Maybe my HET F20 will work as well. I would love to be free of the bungee
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:05 AM
440GTX is offline
Find More Posts by 440GTX
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealhiphop
440GTX
It really doesn't look like you need it at all. That bird should fly right out of your hands. Nice work!
Thanks
You are right. The bird flys right out of my hand. But if there is No wind
and warm out, I have a little trouble reaching the elevator. There is No stearing. I fluked that it tracks straight. If not adjust the front wheel.
The rear just sits in the dolly . Note the 1/4 " sponge on the rear.
This holds it firm on the dolly . A small piece of piano wire about 3/8 "
on the front holds the plane in place. ( See picture ) I CA'd a small washer so the small hole will not get larger on the undercarrage of my jet. A soon as the nose lifts the dolly lets go and Airborne
I built it because My hand launching sucks Big Time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by twang
That is ridiculously simple and so has to work. Do you use it in grass?? I'm gonna build one. Maybe my HET F20 will work as well. I would love to be free of the bungee
I use it on a runway covered by a large Landscape tarp.
Fairly smooth. If you use it on Grass just use larger wheels.
No problems with my friends stock setup and mine with 2W and 6904.
You don't need much speed to get these into the air.

Did I say " I built it because My hand launching sucks Big Time ."

Fred..
Last edited by 440GTX; Aug 04, 2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 09:08 PM
Smokescreen38 is offline
Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Smokescreen38's Avatar
Very nicely done. Elegant simplicity...I love it!


Now..can you land on it?
I kid.
Old Aug 06, 2008, 07:23 AM
ozzi supercub is offline
Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
WiggleWiggleWiggle
ozzi supercub's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang
That is ridiculously simple and so has to work. Do you use it in grass?? I'm gonna build one. Maybe my HET F20 will work as well. I would love to be free of the bungee
Hey Twang. Have you given the dolly a go yet? I want to build a small one for my foamies. I to suffer from "crappy hand launch syndrome"
Old Aug 06, 2008, 05:57 PM
latinflyer is offline
Find More Posts by latinflyer
latinflyer
latinflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GTX
Thanks
You are right. The bird flys right out of my hand. But if there is No wind
and warm out, I have a little trouble reaching the elevator. There is No stearing. I fluked that it tracks straight. If not adjust the front wheel.
The rear just sits in the dolly . Note the 1/4 " sponge on the rear.
This holds it firm on the dolly . A small piece of piano wire about 3/8 "
on the front holds the plane in place. ( See picture ) I CA'd a small washer so the small hole will not get larger on the undercarrage of my jet. A soon as the nose lifts the dolly lets go and Airborne
I built it because My hand launching sucks Big Time .



I use it on a runway covered by a large Landscape tarp.
Fairly smooth. If you use it on Grass just use larger wheels.
No problems with my friends stock setup and mine with 2W and 6904.
You don't need much speed to get these into the air.

Did I say " I built it because My hand launching sucks Big Time ."

Fred..
So have you tried on grass I want to build one but need to know for my F20 on grass.

Latinflyer.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 02:14 AM
twang is offline
Find More Posts by twang
Registered User
twang's Avatar
It works on grass. Sorry about the vid quality i will get more soon.

Danny
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:29 AM
pdiddyg40 is offline
Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Flying low is expensive.
pdiddyg40's Avatar
awesome, nice design :]
-P.D.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:42 AM
440GTX is offline
Find More Posts by 440GTX
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang
It works on grass. Sorry about the vid quality i will get more soon.

Danny
Danny
Thanks for the grass test.
I will now make these in mass production
and make MILLIONS of dollars
Old Aug 17, 2008, 06:49 PM
twang is offline
Find More Posts by twang
Registered User
twang's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GTX
Danny
Thanks for the grass test.
I will now make these in mass production
and make MILLIONS of dollars


Mine is a little different, same concept though. Pix soon
Old Aug 17, 2008, 07:33 PM
Socomon is offline
Find More Posts by Socomon
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GTX
Danny
Thanks for the grass test.
I will now make these in mass production
and make MILLIONS of dollars
I am kinda surprised nobody sells these already
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:23 AM
brati4 is offline
Find More Posts by brati4
Registered User
brati4's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GTX
I build a Launch system for my twister.
If there in No wind I sometimes have trouble.
A tricycle Launch System
This thing works GREAT . Mount the Jet on the Launch System
point down the runway and GO !!! . Note the small pin/wire
on the front to hold the jet on untill LiftOff.
VERY eaisy and Quick Build.
I call it the GLS 5000 ( Ground Launch System model 5000 )
Dude, where are the plans? And can you give us a closeup of your hook system on the dolly and plane?
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
jrb is offline
jrb
Find More Posts by jrb
jrb
Member
jrb's Avatar
Steering is easy (w/plug in bootom or RX on dolly) and adaption to other planes; videos too: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705113


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Self Launch System on a Easyglider or EDF ? zaguruinzasky Electric Plane Talk 10 Jul 23, 2008 10:47 AM
New pylon racer launch system sneu High Performance 5 Feb 13, 2003 05:22 AM
Got my EDF-50! Bsmooth Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 May 30, 2002 08:53 AM
What to do with my EDF-50's? Where to get airliners? Joe B Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 2 Apr 15, 2002 11:22 PM
For Sale: NIP Dynaflite Upstart 2M launch system Aeronut Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Feb 01, 2002 02:11 PM