This thread is privately moderated by donnyman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 01, 2008, 03:23 PM
Brooklynite In Texas
Thread OP
Discussion

F14 the rest of the story

It's about six feet long, twin turbine, (Wren 54's) still in design stage this is the prototype. I actually had the first fuselage cut out in cardboard by a very patient friend, he did good! a cardboard mockup was the cheap way to prove what i was trying to do. success is sooooooo sweeeeet the fuse can be assembled pretty quick on supports. now that I have it out of a four year mothball. I don't want to put it back! Yeah, I got Problems. trying to add pic.
Last edited by donnyman; May 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2008, 08:30 PM
Now THAT is one brilliant aircraft. The tail looks a bit floppy to me though, maybe its just the tilted rudder thats giving that illusion.
Aug 08, 2008, 09:18 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
Nice....very nice...!

-mike-
Aug 08, 2008, 02:13 PM
new pic, same plane....
awesome. how many servos? are there retracts?
Aug 09, 2008, 12:39 PM
Brooklynite In Texas
Thread OP
Yes the tail is floppy! it isn't glued in. I am working out a method of actuation most likely use pull pull, Six servos so far. retracts are in but I haven't cut the doors, so they cannot fully retract. the wings swing is fully functional but I'm not satisfied I want proper oversweep when the wings are parked. thanks for your input.

Donny
Sep 11, 2008, 03:28 PM
Asking for a friend
That is one impressive project and a beautiful bird!
Dec 27, 2008, 06:53 PM
Brooklynite In Texas
Thread OP
I,d love to get back to it but I picked up a giant scale corsair project so when the 14 will get finished is anybodies guess
Feb 19, 2009, 09:04 PM
Brooklynite In Texas
Thread OP

f-14 start up

this is the way my 14 got it's start, as a cardboard mock up.
at the time I did not have anything in cad and I was eager to put something on the bench with the price of balsa being what it is cardboard was my cheapest option. it did prove fruitful all my ideas worked. As soon as I am able I will present a fast, easy, accurate way of assembling this fuselage in one day.

stay tuned I ain't done yet! DONNY
Feb 19, 2009, 09:38 PM

F-14 build

Donny,

I found this blog so far, from what I can see your method of "stringers" looks a lot easier. I'll follow this blog.

You do good work!

Tomcat_104
(David)
Feb 20, 2009, 01:09 AM
Asking for a friend
The card board mock up looks tedious in itself. You have a high attention to detail.
Feb 20, 2009, 11:33 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
Thread OP

cardboard

tomcat/jasbury

Thank you, Getting the cardboard cut out was a tedious task, but the truth be told it was accomplish by a friend of mind using my drawings. I helped but he did the bulk of the cutting. My current state of mind is to build another 14 online here, but I am still up to my ears with other builds and honey do's, none the less I will try! I have in mind to eliminate the metal bracing between the pivot points it seems redundant, that whole area is as strong as the rock of Gibraltor. what do you think? I hope you can provide pictures of any part of your build so we can share info.

DONNY
Mar 01, 2009, 04:53 PM
Brooklynite In Texas
Thread OP

one step closer

Today my son got my plotter on line! I honestly did not believe it would ever work, I have had it for quite some time and nothing from it until today and on the first try.

Well that tells you how much I know about plotters.

Been playing with scaling and plotting the f 14's formers, Finally I can plot any size I desire. Ooooooooh how sweeeeet it is!

Donny
Apr 05, 2009, 11:25 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
Thread OP

f-14 /plotter

It is real nice having a plotter BUT, now it's popping the circuit breaker as it boots up. When it does get past it's burping it produces some very impressive drawings indeed! (here we go again).... but!..... it wont print out a long plot and my options seem limited.

meanwhile I am up grading my drawings. A very slow process due to other duties (honeydo's) so this thread ain't dead just slow.

I would enjoy your input and questions.

Happy modeling.......... Donny
Apr 28, 2009, 07:43 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
Thread OP

plotter

I found my circuit breaker problem on my plotter, after much troubleshooting it turned out to be the breaker it self, which i proved by using a standard household breaker of the same value. the replacement breaker cost fifty bucks plus tax to for testing the household breaker was the cheapest choice, now I will get the correct breaker so it will look pretty.
May 30, 2009, 09:09 PM
Brooklynite In Texas
Thread OP

Plotter

I WAS WRONG AGAIN.

I now am confident I have found my plotter problem, the circuit breaker was not the problem and I really don't know what truly was the problem but it is humming smoothly, I pulled all the connectors loose and put them back then pulled the hard drive out twice after that the gremlins were gone ...go figure.

now all the problems are me. getting the scale sizes I want is expensive but I gotta do it before all the paper is used up It will cost almost 600 dollars to get more they only sell in ten roll batches ....oh well it's only money!

check you later.......Donny

Quick Reply