Aug 06, 2008, 07:47 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Pretty cool...oops did I just call it pretty

Slap some paint and artwork on the sucker and get us some vids.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2008, 08:02 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Update... I did nearly finish my SR-71, but discovered a frustrating situation. I installed the motor too close to the CG point in such that the battery (which balances the plane on the other side of the Cg), now sticks out the rear portion of the cockpit. Looks ugly to say the least, but will work. I'll finish up and give it a go. Adam's plane is ready to go, too.
I tried to upload the vid three times, but it wouldn't take it for some unknown reason to me. I'll have Adam edit the vid anyway, and any others we do, and post them later. He's smarter at this computer stuff then me, so he'll take care of it.
Thanks everyone, for all the nice comments. The SR-71 does fly well, reminds me of how Dekan's/Firetrappe's F-22 flies.
Aug 06, 2008, 08:57 PM
Looks fantastic, Rusty!
Congrats on the maiden.

beanie from the pusherjet forum showed me this for MiG 21 cones.
Heres how I made the nacelle cones for my SR71s, in case you want some "full-fuse" ones. If you dont, here it is for others to use as a reference.
It takes a bit of practice, but the results look good.

Jasta
Aug 06, 2008, 09:28 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Works good with just plain ole paper as well. At this size I wonder which is heavier?
Aug 07, 2008, 12:51 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
I got my SR-71 done, ready to maiden. I went with a zebra paint job, blue on top, red on bottom, to make it easier to see. If it were all black, then I'd likely lose orientation too easy. Perhaps as I get better at flying these planes I'll go for an all black plane like some others do.
I intend to do another, and revise the plans, and do a build log as well, soon. Plans a comin'!
Aug 07, 2008, 03:49 AM
Rusty-Gunn (Donald) and I went to fly the SR-71 baby blackbirds and had a good flight. I was able to get the hang of flying again and did some loops and rolls. Donald flew his as well and did some loops and rolls. These jets are pretty fast too! We ejoyed flying them alot. Due to loss of orientation Donald landed in a water puddle, ending his flying time. We will post pics and vids in a bit.
Aug 07, 2008, 04:25 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Here are more pics of tonights flying session. We flew with someone new, Ryan, who flew a Hobby Zone cub. As we were heading home another guy asked for help with his FlyZone Cub. Wow, two new flyers! It was a good day of flying.
Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; Aug 10, 2008 at 07:27 AM.
Aug 07, 2008, 02:02 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Lets see if I could get this to work. Here is a YouTube vid of theSR-71 Baby Blackbird (my first effort at YouTube vids).
You can find it there with:
SR-71 Baby Blackbird prop jet.

Edit: I could not get it to post here, sorry. I don't know how to do it properly. It ends up saying "Video no longer available." Its at YouTube though.
Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; Aug 07, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Aug 07, 2008, 02:17 PM
SR-71 Baby Blackbird prop jet (2 min 25 sec)
Aug 07, 2008, 02:22 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Thanks Jasta.... Does it work for you? When i try to view it, it still says "video no longer available." for some odd reason.
Aug 07, 2008, 03:48 PM
Insert comment here:
Congrats on the maiden flight.
Sorry to hear that not all birds came home…. Always a sad moment.
Moment of silence for the fallen comrades……

Now to me it looks like this bird has a flight characteristics of the delta wing, can you confirm that or is it me just making things up????

Not to the bad news: Rusty I have to blame you for making me want to build this….
Any dates when plans are going to go public???? Let me know if you need help with them as well…
Aug 07, 2008, 04:42 PM
Look outside the Square
Looking great Rusty. It flys a treat. I tried watching it and it said the same thing from Jasta's post. Sometimes youtube does play up. Hopefully this might help.

I just tried watching Jasta's post again and it works. Buggered if I know.

SR-71 Baby Blackbird prop jet (2 min 25 sec)

B x
Last edited by Boxhead; Aug 07, 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Aug 07, 2008, 04:44 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Totallywicked.... My SR-71 only had one of it's servos comeoff the mount. hot glue took care of it. I did dry off the wet electronics, which weren't very wet to begin with luckily, because it landed nose-first in a puddle. It does work fine this morning.
We're ready to go out again tonight, after work. My TX is charging, so I am not able to fly right now, which is excellent for weather (finally!). We'll post more pics/vids later.
As to how this plane flies, yeah, its like a delta. Very easy to fly, I enjoy it a lot, with only two flights on it. I was horsing around, doing loops and rolls too low, when it dumped into the puddle. Pilot error. I'll keep her up higher next time.
Plans will be worked on tonight, and posted later. I can post both versions, since they both fly well.
Here are a few pics of my plane. Note how the rear cockpit is cut out to make room for the battery/strap. The cover no longer fits anyway, due to how the battery and Rx fit at the rear. When I do another SR-71 I'll be sure to put the motor/prop slot further rearward to allow for a more forward batt placement under the cockpit. Live and learn, eh?

Box... I used Jasta's post to view the vid, and it worked this time. Your link does work. Thanks.
Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; Aug 07, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Aug 10, 2008, 01:02 AM
3 Strykers,your out !

Iimage certified ok for release by junglegyms Skunkworks

Subject: Sr71 distorted form Toon plane ..................
Getting it together, looks like white Christmas in my shed !!!!
Early shape up...
Aug 10, 2008, 02:11 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Junglegym.... Dang, it looks awesome! I'm going to enjoy the looks of your plane i'm sure. I await for the flight report.

Quick Reply