Aug 04, 2008, 03:43 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalywicked
so how 'bout running it on 2 EDF. that would be pretty sweet.
This would be nice, only problem is I've got only one Hyperflow edf. Should I get another one someday I'll revisit this plane, and give it a shot. 'Til then, I hope someone will do one.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2008, 03:50 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Here are a few pics of our Blackbirds. Just about ready for electronics to be installed. Prop slots are cut, control horns installed. Battery compartments will be cut out from the fuselage, moters need to be mounted, as well as servos.
I gave the Version 1 to Adam, Nic's brother. We're working on them together, and hope to maiden them soon.
Aug 04, 2008, 11:48 AM
Insert comment here:
Now I wish I had some EDF’s I think just sound from them while this baby is flying would be so sweet.

I love the way cockpit came out..
So I think your name, from now, should be Official Toon Builder Guy.

Can you give us some info on your set up?
Motor?
Prop?
Battery?

And of course the maiden flight date. I might have to take trip to Alaska just to see this bad boy fly
Aug 04, 2008, 12:11 PM
igo
igo
rusty-gunn, have you test glided the plane with the fuse on? the reason why i'm asking is because it sounds like you test glided the plane with a few coins without the fuse. the fuse adds vertical surface area and unfortunately it adds vertical surface area ahead of the cg. if the rudders are too small, you'll have a yaw problem. but seeing that your fuse is made up like a pyramid, maybe any air rushing at it from the sides will just slip upwards and it may not be an issue. anyway, it think it's worth checking out. at least humor me by test gliding it with fuse.
Aug 04, 2008, 12:22 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalywicked
Now I wish I had some EDF’s I think just sound from them while this baby is flying would be so sweet.

I love the way cockpit came out..
So I think your name, from now, should be Official Toon Builder Guy.

Can you give us some info on your set up?
Motor?
Prop?
Battery?

And of course the maiden flight date. I might have to take trip to Alaska just to see this bad boy fly
Wow, I might earn a title?
I didn't want the canopy to be as high as in the toy SR-71 pic, but it turned out well enough. We'll cut trap doors for the electronics, and install them soon. As it turns out we're short on motors, Adam and I both have them installed in other planes that we've yet to fly due to bad weather. Cool thing is, the precious wifey said "stack 'em and rack 'em", so we're building til the weather turns nice.
My motor will be an E-max 2805, spinning a 6 inch APC, using 11.1v 1000 mah packs.
Adam's is a B2208/14 bell=type, 8 inch APC, same batts.
He has the bigger, faster set-up, on the smaller plane. Maybe it ought to scoot along just fine, eh? Should these work out well, we'll post pics and vids.
Aug 04, 2008, 12:32 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by igo
rusty-gunn, have you test glided the plane with the fuse on? the reason why i'm asking is because it sounds like you test glided the plane with a few coins without the fuse. the fuse adds vertical surface area and unfortunately it adds vertical surface area ahead of the cg. if the rudders are too small, you'll have a yaw problem. but seeing that your fuse is made up like a pyramid, maybe any air rushing at it from the sides will just slip upwards and it may not be an issue. anyway, it think it's worth checking out. at least humor me by test gliding it with fuse.
Yes, I did a test glide with the canopy on, and she glides well. I do see your point about the yaw problem, and perhaps larger tails may help. It will also help with the 'toon aspect as well. I'll wait til the planes are flown to determine if I need to enlargen the tails though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Here is a head-on pic of my plane.
Aug 04, 2008, 01:06 PM
Insert comment here:
True that…
But a big enough motor you can make a brick fly.
Well I hope you guys going to get good weather soon.

From a pic. It looks like the entire canopy will come off. I thought you are holding it with magnets but trap door just as good….
Aug 04, 2008, 01:37 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
The canopy is actually hot glued on. We don't have magnets to work with.
We could usre use a lot of good weather, we've had a very wet and windy July, more so then usual it seems. August is starting out the same too.
Aug 06, 2008, 04:25 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Adam and I went out to fly his SR-71 (version 1) tonight. After launch, it needed a bit of left trim, as well as more up trim. Once dialed in, she flew like a champ! Amazing flight.
I flew many simple circuits, some loops and rolls. I kept to half throttle because full was too dang fast for a plane I've never flown before, still needing to become used to its characteristics. It had plenty of elevon throws, giving it a bit of sensivity, but easily managed. I imagine using expo would help.
Adam took his turn at flying it, and did some circuits and a loop, but the sensitivity got the best of him, and the plane dorked the nose in the dirt. We did a quick fix of it, and expect to go again tomorrow.
Eit: I'll see about posting a short vid tomorrow.
Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; Aug 06, 2008 at 05:29 AM.
Aug 06, 2008, 05:51 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Rust , that's wonderful news!!!...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Aug 06, 2008, 05:57 AM
Winging it Ò>
Looks great! Looking forward to the video.
Aug 06, 2008, 08:47 AM
Yes, Flying was fun. I have to get use to flying again havnt flew in a while.
Video wasnt able to load for some reason. Don and I are going to go flying again tomarrow and Ill be sure to take my camera and record it!
Aug 06, 2008, 09:27 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Looks great! Looking forward to the video.
Ditto !! Unbelievable
Aug 06, 2008, 11:50 AM
Congrats Rusty and Nephew! Looks great in the air. Can't wait to see the video.
Warm regards, Jim
Aug 06, 2008, 06:39 PM
Look outside the Square
Success is Soooooooooo Sweet Rusty congratulations

B x

Quick Reply