Thread Tools
Sep 15, 2011, 12:13 AM
Registered User
Gamerjoe's Avatar

Steering control rod


I am having a very tough time finding a picture of the entire steering control rod on the Panther. I started off with a hand launch version, but I went ahead and upgraded it for retracts. Problem is that there is no steering control rod with my plane, so I am forced to make one.

Can someone please show me a top and side view of what this rod looks like so that I can create one? Or, if anyone has a better concept that works please let me know. I am dying to maiden my Panther, but it is waiting for the nose gear steering to be functional.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2011, 01:29 AM
Suspended Account
I'm gonna repair mine..
I had the stupiest idea to let one of the guys at the field to fly it.

The guy is way more experienced than me but never flown an EDF
he has some 50cc gas planes and 3d and all these propeller stuff. HE onced had an electric seb-art angel and converted it to gas again (moron)

and then I had the even more stupid idea (actually he had it but I agreed) to let him land it.

ok now I need a ton of glue... very hard landing folded the nose and the right landing gear along with the mounts. Im thinking of using plywood this time.. or shed more glue in there and make it a quickfix because of lack of time
Sep 15, 2011, 01:35 AM
Suspended Account
gonna do something like that..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=522
Last edited by pavcon; Sep 15, 2011 at 01:43 AM.
Sep 15, 2011, 10:01 AM
Registered User
Here are a couple of pics of the nose steering linkage..
Sep 15, 2011, 07:03 PM
Registered User
Gamerjoe's Avatar
Thanks for the pictures!

I am not sure why the servo is placed so far back, so I used the servo hole closer to the wheel and it is working great! I did not happen to have a longer rod, but it works and I am happy!

Only issue I had was that the servo was backwards, so I had to put the control arm on the other side so that the right rudder input would turn the plane right, and vice versa.
Sep 15, 2011, 07:05 PM
Registered User
Gamerjoe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon
I'm gonna repair mine..
I had the stupiest idea to let one of the guys at the field to fly it.

The guy is way more experienced than me but never flown an EDF
he has some 50cc gas planes and 3d and all these propeller stuff. HE onced had an electric seb-art angel and converted it to gas again (moron)

and then I had the even more stupid idea (actually he had it but I agreed) to let him land it.

ok now I need a ton of glue... very hard landing folded the nose and the right landing gear along with the mounts. Im thinking of using plywood this time.. or shed more glue in there and make it a quickfix because of lack of time
Yeah... I would much rather break things myself, then let someone else do it. Sorry to hear about the hard landing.
Sep 15, 2011, 07:29 PM
Registered User
Glad the pictures helped.....!

Randy
Sep 15, 2011, 09:23 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe
Yeah... I would much rather break things myself, then let someone else do it. Sorry to hear about the hard landing.
fixed it yesterday useing some hot glue and epoxy.

Never again.. Im the second less experienced at my club but im one of the few that flies edfs... Im not letting anyone else touch my planes again.... Now this guy knows that edfs are not easy
.
He learned the hardway...
Too bad for me

Im gonna shoot an idea to tim wan btw.. Why not make a 90mm panther . What do ya think??? Would you buy a plane like that??? I know i would...
Sep 15, 2011, 09:48 PM
Registered User
Gamerjoe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon
fixed it yesterday useing some hot glue and epoxy.

Never again.. Im the second less experienced at my club but im one of the few that flies edfs... Im not letting anyone else touch my planes again.... Now this guy knows that edfs are not easy
.
He learned the hardway...
Too bad for me

Im gonna shoot an idea to tim wan btw.. Why not make a 90mm panther . What do ya think??? Would you buy a plane like that??? I know i would...
I would buy one! I still need to get this one in the air first though
Sep 15, 2011, 11:14 PM
Suspended Account
I think that a 90mm one would sell like crazybecause the 70mm one created so many fans..
including myself
Sep 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
Registered User
Gamerjoe's Avatar

CG and Nose Weights


OK, I believe that I am all ready with setting up the CG of this EDF. However, it concerns me that I have used so much weight to get it correct. I went with 69mm from the leading edge of the intakes on the wing, and I have to use 6 - 7g weights to get it there. That is 42g of weight!

I am using a 4000mah 3S battery and have pushed it up as far as it will go, and the 42g of weights are stuck on the inside of the nose.

Does this seem probable that I have set the CG correctly? I am having a hard time believing that it took another 42g of weight to get it to where it needs to be.
Sep 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
Registered User
I used two 3S 3300ma packs...they are 272 grams each....They are staggered slightly to make them fit, and I had to add 14 grams of lead to the tail to make it balance. My version has the removable wing and it balances just a mm or so behind the wing attach screws..

Edit: That is about 69mm back from the outboard part of the intakes, about where the top and bottom lip come together.

Randy
Last edited by v2plus10; Sep 16, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
Sep 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe
OK, I believe that I am all ready with setting up the CG of this EDF. However, it concerns me that I have used so much weight to get it correct. I went with 69mm from the leading edge of the intakes on the wing, and I have to use 6 - 7g weights to get it there. That is 42g of weight!

I am using a 4000mah 3S battery and have pushed it up as far as it will go, and the 42g of weights are stuck on the inside of the nose.

Does this seem probable that I have set the CG correctly? I am having a hard time believing that it took another 42g of weight to get it to where it needs to be.
I use 1 4000mah 4s 45c + the steering servo that you don't have
or a 4500mah 4s 35c pack.. it's possible yes.. CG at 62mm (not 75) don't forget.
Sep 16, 2011, 01:56 PM
Registered User
Gamerjoe's Avatar
This is what I have for CG. I borrowed these images, but you can see my CG locations marked with bright red dots. Does this look like a bird that will fly? I am going to maiden this thing on Sunday and I want to make sure it will be balanced.
Sep 16, 2011, 02:11 PM
Registered User
Your dots look to be exactly where my CG is. Those round indentations in the foam are where the wing mounting screws are on my version. I have flown it with that CG several times.

How long is your runway?? Be sure that the model sits on the ground with a slight positive angle..this will give the wing a positive angle of attack and the liftoff will be smoother. Use all the available runway and don't pull it off the ground too early. It is a smooth flyer but don't let it get slow.

Randy


Thread Tools