Jul 30, 2008, 06:55 PM
Closed Account
Discussion

Powerline Hobbies FOKKER DR1 in Red

Hey Fokker fans, I recieved my Powerline Hobbies Fokker DR1 in red today . I know what your thinking "not another red dr1" but I like it.
The model came near perfect except for a small crack in the cowl. I will contact PLH and see if I can get another one but mean while it is repairable.

I'm no expert but here some thoughts. First impression was how light the box was. This Plane is built extremely light. The covering job is good and mostly wrinkle free. As I thought by looking at the pict on PLH site the tail skid is attached to the rudder, but what I know now there is also wheels attached to the skid. Not scale but I don't mind as I'm not a rivet counter and for ground handling it will be nice. H9 has something similar on their D7, without wheels.
The top section of the fuse is ABS (I think) as is the cowl. The cowl is a bit flimsy but again everything is light. The gear struts and struts near the cockpit are aluminum. The cabanes are covered balsa.
As with the PLH camel this has a pull, pull rudder & elevator.
I have shown the included instruction CD in some of the photos to give a sense size.
I will weather this model and dull the finish. I may consider painting the cowl white......

I won't rush this build.
I don't wanna Fokker it up and turn it into a Messerschmitt.

Yeah I know, but I waited a long time to use that line.

Smooth air to all
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2008, 02:21 PM
Closed Account
I ordered a motor, speed control & lipos from hobby city today.
I choose a Turnigy 42-40B 900kv out runner,
a Turnigy plush 40amp ESC,
& a couple Zippy 3s 2200mah 20c lipos.

Weighed the model contents in there plastic bags and it added up to about 2 lbs (without motor, ESC, servos, battery). So I'm guessing it will be quite possible to end up around the 3.3 lbs as per PLH website.
Jul 31, 2008, 02:49 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
I always liked the DR1. Where did you order it from?
Gary
Jul 31, 2008, 06:11 PM
Closed Account
Gary, I ordered it over the phone from http://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/ they had a couple.

I fixed the crack in the cowl with a scrap or stryene (for backing) and model glue. I got the cowl mounted and drilled and screwed the fuse upper deck on. I wanted to get this done before weathering and I decided to paint the cowl white.
I watched the included 15 min. instruction CD (had to download media player 11 to view it). I guess it gives you some idea but there is no audio. Also it isn't complete, i.e. he is working on the fuse and suddenly it cuts to mounting the mid wing....but the lower wing is already on and they didn't show it. I guess I'm gonna just wing it on the biuld. No other instructions are included.
I will start weathering tonight.
Anybody no of a good 1/5 scale period pilot figure? Right now I'm thinking of Great Planes 1/5 german pilot. Inexpensive and easy to mod but I don't like the molded in googles on the forehead, want the googles on his eyes. Also trying to aviod a molded in scarf (no scarf on the great planes one).
Cheers
Aug 01, 2008, 02:28 AM
Closed Account
Weathering with water base matte finsh and black washes.
Aug 02, 2008, 02:09 AM
Why do they do a ABS top fuse

To much ABS with a to light conctruction mean a lot of pieces to collect after a crash

After this joke, it looks like a great plane
But, clean your plane before shooting it, please
Aug 02, 2008, 01:27 PM
Closed Account
Don't jinx me twinflandres
Aug 02, 2008, 04:13 PM
This plane really interresting me ...
but when I read " light fuse " ..... I'm a little bit afraid.
Aug 02, 2008, 11:37 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinflandres
This plane really interresting me ...
but when I read " light fuse " ..... I'm a little bit afraid.
I have mixed feelings about how light it is too. It may be like one of those box kites. One a windy day maybe I can leave the radio and batteries at home and just tie a string to it .
Aug 03, 2008, 12:01 AM
Closed Account
I decided to spray the entire model with Dullcote to seal the water base paint and remove most of the remaining shine.
I installed the elev & rudder servos, attached the horizontal stab & rudder and rigged the pull pull system.
Ok so in on the instruction CD they show them mount the servos in from the bottom but this is obviously wrong as it is up hill from the servo tray to the tail where the pull pull wires exit. They must be mounted from the top.
I made wire eye hooks for wire tension adjustment like Fokker Ace did in his camel review. The cable for the pull pull is real wire not string like the camel. There are also no springs and the wire rigs similar to the way the fly wires are rigged on the camel.
There is no step up to the front servo like the camel so I mounted the servo arm adjusters on the bottom of the rudder arm (back servo). I bent the 2 eye hooks for the elevator in a step up fashion (for the front servo). This combination prevents the eye hooks and wires from the front servo interfering with the back servo.
Aug 03, 2008, 02:08 AM
Closed Account
I mounted the gear struts and gear. It is very sturdy. Also mounted the lower wing. Standard wing tube and nylon bolts.
Last edited by BrentP; Aug 03, 2008 at 02:16 AM.
Aug 03, 2008, 03:04 AM
It's a beautiful construction.

I like :
The pull pull wired system. This add realism
The size of the plane
The plane weight

I don't like :
Too much abs ( the top fuse ). It's look like unrepearable
The plane weight. It will be hard to fly into the wind

But ... I want one
Aug 03, 2008, 03:05 AM
BentP : what is your power plan ?
Aug 03, 2008, 12:15 PM
Garry Owen!
With the exception of the tailwheel hanging off the rudder, it looks like a very accurate scale model of the DR1! I hope it flies well and if that's the case it will be in my hanger too! Thanks for sharing.