Jul 29, 2008, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Flying Genie on a Carpet (New NIGHT VIDEO post 212 08/01/2009

After flying Dennis' FFF "Genie on a Carpet", I had to have one myself. It's a "stretched PBF", twice as along as it is wide. I've made a few of the PBF's that have been posted on these threads, personally I prefer this one, for the way it handles and the shear novelty of it. Since the pictures I posted of Dennis' Genie got so many lookers, I thought I would post some pictures of my build. Not that it's all that hard to build, but it's just so much fun to fly. I'll list all the dimensions for anyone who might want to try one. I still need to paint my "carpet". I made mine 20" x 36" and used the following gear. Tower Pro 2410-09 motor, 20 Amp simple escape, 11x4.7 slofly prop, 1000mah 3s lipo, 2 HS-55 servos, GWS Rx.
Dave

Update: I am now using the FC 28-22 Brushless Outrunner 1200kv from HobbyKing along with a GWS 11.47 slow fly prop.
FC 28-22 Brushless Outrunner 1200kv
Last edited by Dave Barrow; Apr 11, 2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added new motor information.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2008, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
Here's the blow by blow of making the flying Genie. Cut a piece of FFF 20" x 36", then another 20" x 18". Glue the small piece on one of the bigger one, this stiffens the front half and adds some needed nose weight. Now cut 4 1/2" off the other end and then split it in half to make the elevons. Cut one of the long edges of each elevon at a 45 degree angle and reattach to the main board with tape hinges. Make sure you have a lot of throw in both directions, as slow flying and hovering will require it (see the pictures above). I taped coffee stir sticks together for the music wire pushrods.
Last edited by Dave Barrow; Jul 29, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Jul 29, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thread OP
I made a motor mount from a piece of plywood and attached it to the front with about 2 degrees right and 7 degrees of down thrust. Add a 13" piece of balsa for a stiffener on top front. I use a piece of scrap FFF from the fold area for a stiffener on the bottom center, it runs from the doubler to the back edge of the main board. Mount your motor, servos, pushrod wires, esc, Rx and battery.
Jul 29, 2008, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Cut out and paint a Genie, or any other cartoon character 18" long and 13 1/2" tall. Glue it to the top of the boardfrom the back of the stiffener to the rear of the board. I mixed the elevons in my Futaba 8U radio. If you do not have a computer radio with elevon kixing, you can get an external mixer, such as GWS makes. The CG is at 9' from the front of the board, you can see where I mounted my gear to get it there. No additional weight was needed. I launch it underhanded, holding the front of the genie. If you build one, let us know how you like it.
Dave
Last edited by Dave Barrow; Jul 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Jul 29, 2008, 11:53 PM
Dave, nice Genie! How does a long skinny PBF compare in flight characteristics to a square PBF?

- Jeff
Jul 30, 2008, 06:29 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Hey, where's the fringe around the edges...???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 30, 2008, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
Jeff, the saying "flies like a trainer" is pretty much applicable to it. When we used to make them with slimmer engines, I let some of my "trainees" fly mine, they could control it very well. I'm not saying it would be a trainer for someone teaching themself to fly, but after a little stick time on a conventional trainer, they could do allright. It is more stable, I think, than the square PBF's, especially in slow high alfa. It will also fly inverted, do loops and a great barrel roll. I especially enjoy hovering it, if their is a little breeze, it's even possible to do a controlled verticle landing. I like trying to do elevon drags and tail touches, it has enough power to pull out vertically, at least until the battery gets low.

gpw, greta idea. Yes, fringe is definetly in order after I paint the "rug", I'll have to get a ball of yarn and make some.

Dave
Aug 03, 2008, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
I decorated the "rug".
Aug 03, 2008, 09:32 AM
USAF Retired
Very Cool looking! I have to make one of these

Looks like a 200 Persian rug...lol

Dennis
Aug 03, 2008, 09:40 AM
USAF Retired
Here is the "pilot" I drew for my carpet... I'm going to start construction today...I hope.

How critical are the dimensions for height...I guess I can blow him up as big as needed.

Later,

Dennis
Aug 03, 2008, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_man
Here is the "pilot" I drew for my carpet... I'm going to start construction today...I hope.

How critical are the dimensions for height...I guess I can blow him up as big as needed.

Later,

Dennis
Great looking pilot. The taller it is, the more drag you get, and that requires more up trim. 12-14" works best. Any other Questions are welcomed. Post pictures here and a flight report.
Dave
Aug 04, 2008, 05:44 AM
gpw
gpw
Quote: "Any other Questions are welcomed." OK, How big is the universe???
Great looking carpet job Dave !!!
Cool drawing ,Wing!!!
Aug 04, 2008, 09:33 AM
My plans are in my blog
wing man... can you draw one of them harem cuties?
Aug 04, 2008, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Quote: "Any other Questions are welcomed." OK, How big is the universe???
Great looking carpet job Dave !!!
Cool drawing ,Wing!!!
I aim to please (It's as close as I could get)
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/seuforum/howfar/howbig.html
Last edited by Dave Barrow; Aug 04, 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Aug 04, 2008, 10:39 AM
gpw
gpw
Well Dave , You are the man with the answers... THANKS !!! That's COOL !!!!

Rust, like in a Burka , or one of those somewhat more revealing movie harem outfits ...movies are so much better than reality huh ??? Better Noses... Tried Googling FC yet ???

Quick Reply