UK SCRAPS Meeting 2008 - 26th/27th July - South Downs (many images) - RC Groups
Jul 28, 2008, 04:55 PM
HeliAP'er!
Gallery

UK SCRAPS Meeting 2008 - 26th/27th July - South Downs (many images)

Hi all!

As you can see here ...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882845

... us Southern Counties Radio-control Aerial Photographers (SCRAPs) had our annual (although hopefully it will become more than annual ) AP meeting this past weekend in the South Downs, near the South coast of the UK.

Please visit this gallery to see all the photos!

The meeting started at Shoreham Airport on the Saturday morning where myself, Gray (Grahame), English Electric (Paul) and Swanlander (Andrew) had a welcome cuppa! The restaurant had a terrace looking right across the airport - great for plane-spotting!

We then headed up in convoy to Mill Hill, our first flying site ... much visited but great fun, particularly as there was enough wind to slope soar there on the day Understandably there was much interest in our equipment from the other flyers who were there!

(Garry also turned up for a short while )

My AP shots from this location:

We then headed over to another slope-soaring site a mile or two away ...

(that plane in the background was a TOTAL fluke!!)

Later that day we regrouped for a big BBQ at the campsite which Paul and Andy were staying at - was great fun! The first two photos here were from my mast

(Terry using his initiative to get the BBQ going again )

Sadly that night Terry and his friend Andy (two Andys!) had to shoot home, so on Sunday it was just myself, Gray, Paul and Andy (Swanlander) again (Garry joined us again too). Our targets today were the 'Jack and Jill' Windmills, in particular, 'Jill'.

Gray kindly arranged with Simon Potter (the main guy who looks after the Jill windmill) for us to fly there. The presence of windmills on the site dates back to 1765, but the 'Jill' windmill only dates back to 1821. Both windmills were used for grinding flour until 1906, by which time more economical methods had come of age, and the days of commercial flour production at Jack and Jill ended. The main period of restoration of Jill started in 1978, and after 8 years, Jill was officially opened to the public in 1986. Jack has remained in private ownership since the 60s.

The Jill windmill is unique amongst Sussex windmills as the 'fan tackle' at the back (which points the windmill into the wind), runs around a circular track on the ground instead of being fixed at the top of the mill as in the case of Jack (see the third photo below). The fan is connected to the wheels via several gears, with 9 revolutions of the fan equalling one inch of movement around the circular track. The gearing has to be so great as the entire moving part of the mill weighs 23 tons!

Here are my AP shots from the location!

The aerial photos we took of the Mill were given to the owners as a gift, and in return, they will print any names/websites we wish next to the photos wherever they are used.

Here is a short video showing the windmill with its 'sweeps' turning

'Jill' Windmill, West Sussex, UK (1 min 19 sec)

We flew from two sides of the Mill, and Simon very kindly rotated the windmill such that the sun would fall on the sweeps at the optimum angle each time

All in all it was a really great weekend and I think it's safe to say that all involved thoroughly enjoyed themselves! Many thanks to Gray for taking the organising-baton from Ginger Adam when he realised he wasn't able to make the meet.

Until the next one!

Cheers,

David
Last edited by Hogster; Jul 29, 2008 at 07:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2008, 06:38 PM
I fly with my little eye
David,

What can I say? Some great images from a most memorable weekend. Thanks for putting these together so quickly. Here's to our next gathering!

Cheers

Andrew

PS: Here's a view of Jack and Jill from a different perspective..
Last edited by Swanlander; Jul 29, 2008 at 02:18 AM.
Jul 28, 2008, 08:23 PM
Looks like you guys had loads of fun as usual. Shame your location was so far west. Organize one near one of the channel ferry ports which can be reached conveniently from Holland and I may be tempted to participate
Jul 29, 2008, 06:27 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member

No many stills from me... some video to follow...

I didn't take many stills on the Saturday (others were taking loads)... I got some Video on Mill Hill (still to be edited), and some AP at the campsite...

I managed to get the Pano stills I took merged together...

Bear in mind these were taken late in the evening with very little light (and a moving MK)... so there are some issues with blur (movement blur)...

Here's the Pano, stills to follow this evening...

Cheers,

Terry.
Jul 29, 2008, 06:54 AM
HeliAP'er!
SWEET pano Terry! You really wowed everyone there with the MK! Such an ideal craft for a campsite too being so quiet and unobtrusive

David
Jul 29, 2008, 08:06 AM
@Terry, Quite a good result from low altitude and with lower light. You even caught David next to his red and black shopping cart

@David, He's just quiet because he has a very low powered machine You don't want to stand too near to my 3kg monsterkopter when it takes off with about 1600 watts over 4 motors Even then, above about 25 meters you probably won't hear it any more. Seeing the response to my APMk's this weekend I did find that even if quiet, it draws a LOT of attention and you really have to watch out for people rushing up to have a closer look while you're just trying to land. I have some of those flashy orange pylons in the car, sold at a DIY with a soft ball for beach-ball or something, and may well start using them with some red-white (police barrier) tape to try and keep people out of the LZ.
Jul 29, 2008, 08:30 AM
Some great photos! Thanks for sharing. The group photo with the plane flying in the background is priceless. Your panning shots are really cool too, like the one with the full size heli, and the one of the easy* flying by.
Jul 29, 2008, 08:41 AM
HeliAP'er!
Amazing how people continue to find that amusing

doctor_what - Thanks very much! I really love documenting events/trips I go on through the medium of photography It's always a challenge to get unique and interesting shots!

Cheers!

David
Last edited by Hogster; Jul 29, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Jul 29, 2008, 02:08 PM
Smile & wave
How wonderful to relive the weekend through your pictures everyone! Fantastic stuff.

Gray.
Jul 29, 2008, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Amazing how people continue to find that amusing

David
You mean that little red/black shopping cart? It realy isn't that much larger than a shopping cart at a large US supermarket But if you tell us the mileage you get out of it, I think there will be a rush of a number of people to get one of those excellent transporters of RC AP gear at minimum cost, i.e. a very practical and efficient car of just the right size to transport all necessary RC AP gear, and still have room to spare for a girlfriend

I am serious about the mileage. And do you know whether they are planning a hybrid version?
Jul 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur P.
You mean that little red/black shopping cart? It realy isn't that much larger than a shopping cart at a large US supermarket But if you tell us the mileage you get out of it, I think there will be a rush of a number of people to get one of those excellent transporters of RC AP gear at minimum cost, i.e. a very practical and efficient car of just the right size to transport all necessary RC AP gear, and still have room to spare for a girlfriend

I am serious about the mileage. And do you know whether they are planning a hybrid version?
I don't know about you, but I want one of those shopping carts , but here in the U.S. - at least here in Texas anyways - you've gotta put $100 down just to be on a waiting list to get one
Jul 29, 2008, 05:07 PM
Gee guys, sorry I couldn't be there with you.

Looks like you had a great time.

hope i can make the next meet

regards

Geoff
Jul 29, 2008, 05:11 PM
You fella's look as though you had a great time...roll on next event
Jul 29, 2008, 06:23 PM
HeliAP'er!
Not sure where you've seen one that size mate

It does about 50mpg at motorway speeds (got about 70 when my Dad drove up to the north of England - slowly ) and is more comfortable and roomy than most other standard saloon cars I've been in And they can fit more than you think

(click to see the packed version )

They also have a diesel which is exempt of road tax and the London congestion charge which does 80mpg+. An electric one will be coming out next year which can do 70mph and go 72 miles on a charge.

They've recently released a new redesigned larger version for the US market too ...

http://www.thesmart.co.uk

David
Last edited by Hogster; Jul 29, 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Jul 29, 2008, 06:33 PM
Love that picture, David. Looks like one of the milatary air show pics demonstrating how much that super duper high tech plane can carry