Apr 17, 2009, 05:25 PM
Ok... Thanks Bigwood212... Boy is it easy to get faked out these days...
Sorry Guys for the fake I sent...
bnick
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2009, 07:09 PM
I think I read in here some where that someone was using HS65's in the wings, are these strong enough? Can anyone using these give me some feed back?
Apr 17, 2009, 07:22 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnick2k8
Wingwrecker...

If you get a chance check out this video a flying buddy sent me today... This guy makes a one wing landing in a real plane just like a few of us have seen in RC... He goes into a knife edge and right at the end plops her over with his remaining aileron and sets her down... I don't care how strong my Edge 540T's gear is now I think mine would have torn out for sure if I hit the ground like this... The motor mounts and firewall as well as gear must really be built strong in this real one to take these loads... Hope this link works...
Happy week to you...

bnick

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post12050935
Yeah saw that one a while ago.. I am still very impressed with the video of the guy that owns RCGroups (cant remember his name) landing a large RC plane with one wing.. Almost had it perfect and then it nosed over.. Still saved the plane for the most part though..
Apr 17, 2009, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212
I may try hpx servos.... They fit well? Hows the torque? Do they slip? Did you need bigger servo arms?

Had to open the holes a bit for them to fit and they touch the covering in the wings,n (i think the 81's are similar) but they seem quite strong and smooth and the servo arms that came with them give me plenty of throw. I haven't had good luck with some of the other china servos, but I have been happy with the gws ones so far.
Apr 18, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hey guys I wanted to ask if any of you have ever heard of a control horn on top of a servo slipping several teeth which then causes a big change on where the servo centered...?

I have a HS-81 Nylon gear servo that has done this twice, once in the air which caused a terrible out of control spiral from 45' straight into the ground and miraculously because of the strength of the plane only ruined the cowl leaving the entire body, tail, and wings perfect... No matter how I tried to counter the aileron deflection after the center changed so radically on the right wing, I couldn't save her from the crash... Thank goodness the ground was soft...

Later at home by holding lightly and binding the aileron servo she jumped her center again which changed the deflection by about 1/2" towards the down position...

At first I though I had stripped those soft Nylon gears in this HS-81 $14.95 servo but after opening the servo up every gear in the train was inspected under a loupe and all teeth were perfect and not stripped so I asked myself how and what is slipping to cause center to change so drastically under fairly light binding...?

My only answer is my 3rd party control horn I mounted atop my servo... It pushed down nice and snug which made me think it fit fine and the package said it was for HS Micro Servos but I'm really wondering if it isn't the horn itself that may be slipping...

Of course I've come to this conclusion after I wrote a check for 4 new HS-85MG (Metal Gear, Ball Bearing Servos at $31.95 apiece) I have wanted a really good and strong set of servos and now I have them...

Still those Nylon geared HS-81's have a great reputation and are one of the most popular servos out there... One wants to trust their servos not to slip but now I'm really wondering if the servo was just fine all along and instead my horn on top of the servo was slipping and if that's the case then the same horn is now mounted on top of the new servo... I'm buying new proper HiTec horns today so no matter what, those after market ones will be replaced...

Any thoughts...?
bnick
Apr 18, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
"My only answer is my 3rd party control horn I mounted atop my servo... It pushed down nice and snug which made me think it fit fine and the package said it was for HS Micro Servos but I'm really wondering if it isn't the horn itself that may be slipping..."

I can almost guarantee it is the problem. I've run into the same problem form time to time. I'm running the 81's and am using the stock control arms and get plenty of throw. Mike
Apr 18, 2009, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212
the turnigy 35-48 motors will fit with the magnetic cowl but the holes for the firewall are slightly off. You will need to pop out the blindnuts and move them in a small amount. It took me 10mins.

Do the blind nuts pop out easy, and do I need to glue them into the new holes or does the pressure from the screws work?
Apr 18, 2009, 05:15 PM
they come out easy. I just built another one. I just put the scew in and hit it with a screw driver hammer and they pop right out the back. I didnt bother glueing them back in since i dont plane on undoing the motor ever.
Apr 18, 2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks Bigwood. I am just nervous about having to modify things. My last build I had to mod a bunch, it was a cheap foamy edf, but I just dont want problems down the road. I was going to wat it and buy the rimfire but the Turnigy is$50 cheaper, thats huge. Now if hobbyking only had the esc's in stock id be happy.
Apr 18, 2009, 06:25 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH.
Thanks Bigwood. I am just nervous about having to modify things. My last build I had to mod a bunch, it was a cheap foamy edf, but I just dont want problems down the road. I was going to wat it and buy the rimfire but the Turnigy is$50 cheaper, thats huge. Now if hobbyking only had the esc's in stock id be happy.

I'm all for HC but after shipping, how much cheaper was the Turnigy? I hate modding too and it was worth the extra $ to me to have a bolt in motor for this plane. Not to mention the fact that on 4s the Rimfire 42-50-800 makes this plane totally ballistic! Truly unlimited vertical, as far up as you want to go.
Apr 18, 2009, 06:45 PM
HAHAHA im chicken and havent actually completed the order yet. There is still a debate going on in my head. I really do just want the bolt on. The rimfire is really that good? I plane on buying a few 4s. My problem right now is the esc. they are out of the turnigy 60a i can trade my edf to a friend for a e-flight 60. i am leaning toward that right now to keep costs down. I just bought my 540T and cant wait to get her up and going. im a little nervous as this is my first 3d plane so I plane on flying her like a sport for the first few flights to get a feel for her then ill try a little 3d.
Apr 18, 2009, 08:16 PM
Yea just go with hobbycity stuff. The turnigy 35-48 900kv sk is more powerful than the rimfire if thats what your looking for. The turnigy 35-48 800kv version will spin a big 14x7 prop and is still unlimited verticle but its going to be slower than the 900kv. Also buy some zippy flight max lipos and your set. The only thing i suggest it beefing up the landing gear box a little.
Apr 18, 2009, 11:32 PM
I am still really leaning towards the rimfire. It was made for the 540 and fits it to a T. How is the vertical with the rimfire?
Apr 19, 2009, 12:37 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Seriously folks. Get the Rimfire.. Im no GP buff but this motor is the real deal. Get your batts, ESC and what not from HC. But get this Rimfire motor for the Edge and fly it to the moon if you want to...
Apr 19, 2009, 01:20 AM
Mike2663

Thanks for your response as it lets me know I wasn't the only one who had a horn slip... I tested it today and sure enough even though it fit down pretty snug onto the servo, and the screw was tight, that aftermarket horn could be pushed to slip by hand even though all it's teeth looked fine under a loupe...

The stock horns that came with the new HS-85MG+, as they label the Ball Bearing servos, fit really snug like we are all used to so I'm glad I went back to stock horns and like you said the throw is enough and adjustable within the radio...

Boy that was an easy way to pile in an aircraft real fast when a horn slips 1/2" and I was confident the horns were nice and snug, and the screws were lock washered and tight, but still when I switched to High Rate throws in the air the horn slipped big time... While your flying you trust your center to be centered and when it becomes a 1/2" deflection on a right aileron you just don't know what has happened to your plane... I still cannot believe 45' straight in and she only lost a cowl and prop... I'm so glad it wasn't my Edge 540T... She just flies day in and day out perfect...

Ok... I'm glad that's over, now what's next...

bnick

Quick Reply