Increddible New Alien Helicopter! Must see video! - RC Groups
Jul 27, 2008, 06:54 PM
Discussion

Increddible New Alien Helicopter! Must see video!

Thought you guys might want to see this...
I just posted video and images in the Helicopter Gallery:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900214

Link includes video, images and concept sketches as well as kit description and release info.

I've been working on this project (along with several other designs) for 1 1/2 years. I used to produce kits in the late 80's and early 90's. (check out my blogs, more information on some of my other projects.

Cheers!

Richard
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2008, 08:27 PM
Looks cool
Jul 27, 2008, 08:46 PM
very nice!
So will you be making this available?
You should do one for the 5G6...

eric
Jul 27, 2008, 10:44 PM
Looks inspired loosely by the choopers in Half Life 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarel design
Thought you guys might want to see this...
I just posted video and images in the Helicopter Gallery:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900214

Link includes video, images and concept sketches as well as kit description and release info.

I've been working on this project (along with several other designs) for 1 1/2 years. I used to produce kits in the late 80's and early 90's. (check out my blogs, more information on some of my other projects.

Cheers!

Richard
Jul 28, 2008, 08:43 AM
Cool!!!
Jul 28, 2008, 10:02 AM

More photos

Thanks for the kind words!

Prototypes evolve during development... Although the previous photos show something that may look "cool" to some, please think of them as a VERY ROUGH SKETCH!

These next few photos show a slightly different evolution but this was purely to back off and establish the aerodynamic parameters for a fully functional flying "proof of concept" model...

What happens next is the development of styling... edging back towards the line where performance my be reduced... The trick is to get as much of the styling elements incorporated into the design without even coming close to changing performance...

In the first photos the engine area was solid... We discovered that the down wash from the blades were actually pushing the heli back down... performance was sluggish and lift off was slow... By cutting out what was thought to be the engine to let air through actually stimulated a great idea for an even cooler engine:

Use the existing engine as a shroud to partially cover an inner engine (Soon to evolve in size to resemble a hornet's stinger with added mechanical details!)... "dummy" stingers have been tested and the performance is great... on top of that, the styling has shifted into an even more interesting direction!

Thanks for the support...

Some of you have asked if this is for sale... That's the whole idea! It's what I do for a living (check out my website for some interesting photos)

Ok... back to work!

Richard
Jul 28, 2008, 09:02 PM
checked out your blog, nice stuff.
interested in what happens with this.
Again, a 5G6 version would be cool...

eric
Jul 28, 2008, 11:39 PM

Micro amazement... I want one! :)

I always wondered about the CX2, V-3 and V-4 models... They are kind of large to fly in a living room and I've learned that they don't like wind outside... These new micros seem to make all the sense in the world!

I checked out the Walkera and E-Flight micros.... Wow!

I think I sense a shift taking place here... Although these Alien-1 ships are well on their way, I am now seriously looking into the possibilities with these micros... I can totally imagine someone flying them at work, in their house... It just makes all the sense in the world... and flying in so close, scale and fantasy bodies would totally add to the experience.

Another result of the Alien-1 design is that there is a significant amount of weight well below the normal center of balance (weight wise) and so it tends to stabilize itself... No see-sawing back and forth... There is also a lot of space to place the battery so that those wanting faster forward flight can go in that direction with grate forward (aggressive) pitching in the process. Some of the later prototype videos (I'll be posting here later) will show how this ship transitions from hover to a tilting forward fast flight... Looks like an angry hornet tilting into attack mode... holds that position for a while too...

I'm still in awe of these two little micro coaxials... WAY too much fun! (actually there's a design I have sketched that wouldn't work with the large mechanics that will work with at least the blade micro... (I got to see the chasis under the cover... I don't know what the Walkera looks like under neath...yet!

Thank you everyone for your support on this project... It has been a very long time since I ventured into kit design and production... I sure have missed it and the fellowship of friends I am re-discovering here...

Thank you!

Richard

(And yeah, I see micros bodies coming in the near future!)
Jul 29, 2008, 06:31 PM

Alien-2 images

Hi there,

Well, Here's an introduction to Alien-2:

A little longer than Alien-1, Alien-2 has a unique design in that the legs come out of the side, transition back and then reach forward like a bird of prey. Detailing and composition will be very much like Alien-1, although different in appearance. The landing gear will have a shock absorber feature for rough landings.

The two rear exhaust/jet afterburners are separated by a space between them with the fuselage ending about mid way back. The nose is not even close to where the sculpting has led... I'll just wait until images are ready to be released... If you held your hand over the forward section of the body (just ahead of the rotor shaft, the rear portion has maintained its integrity and the forward section will better match the rear section in appearance.

The "see through" image of Alien-1 shows where the original helicopter mechanics sit but the frame work has also taken on a very different appearance. There is also a bottom fuselage shell that covers up most of the mechanics with large venting/nozzle details that can be cut through by the builder to provide motor and battery cooling.

I'm amazed at the requests (orders) I've received to date. Some of you have asked for a "civilian/non-armament" version... I will resurrect the original plug and remove the alien detailing so that there will be two version of the same ship. Either way, the pilot's head is removable and because of that, I will provide a "human" head in the civilian version and the "alien" head in the alien version.

I've also been speaking with a dear artist friend of mine (also an R/C heli and fixed wing pilot, who does the most amazing airbrushing like you wouldn't believe... (people who know us compare our work by stating that he does to 2-D what I do to 3-D... There may be an option to purchase pre-painted and completed (ready to attach) body kits. I have no idea what those will cost, but for those of you go as nuts over his work as I do, it may not matter. All I know is: He's painting mine!

Hope you enjoy the images!

I'll post more as these projects progress...

Still curious about how many of you are flying or intend to purchase one of the micro Walkera or E-Flight micro coaxials... The gears in my brain have been churning over the possibilities.

PS: I will be out of the studio beginning August 2nd through August 10th, so you may not hear from me until after then.

Best,
Richard
Jul 29, 2008, 08:18 PM
happy to read that you are considering the 5G6. It has quite a cult following and is a great heli. I would definately be interested in getting an 'Alien' in that size. Of course, price is a consideration...

By the way, I think I prefered Alien 1 over 2...

eric
Aug 19, 2008, 12:02 PM

New Drawings!!!!

Been busy here (mostly on client projects/prototypes) just returned from some out of state meetings with clients... Shop and studio are cleared out except for a couple of projects and this helicopter fuselage is now well on it's way...

Thought I'd share some older control drawings (Scale guides for engineering, sculpting and machining the master plugs used to make molds)...

Originally I had planned to make a one piece body using a slider mold feature, but the detail I want to put into this body seems to reproduce much better on one one of my smaller machines so it looks like the fuselage will come in two halves with a cockpit insert and separate clear canopy...

I'll try to post some photos of plug development later, but for now, I need to get back to work. Just wanted to share more regarding development especially in the styling department.

Enjoy!

Richard
Aug 19, 2008, 06:24 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Awesome design jarel! Makes a change for the co-axials to go all sci fi.

Tach.
Aug 20, 2008, 04:27 AM
It looks like something out of sci-fi. Really cool. Are the flight characteristics good?
Aug 20, 2008, 10:29 AM

More Photos, details

Thanks for the kind words!

Smiling here... I can still remember sneaking into the hallway as a kid to catch glimpses of first run episodes of Spock saving kirk from some guy dressed in a cheap monster suit! I've been intrigued with Science fiction ever since!

After getting into film work and completing models for "The 5th Element" I was asked to design and build the cloaking suit helmet Data used in Star Trek IX... talk about excitement!

I've built more toy prototypes than I can count, most of them going on to production (Not everything that gets conjured up makes it to the shelves at your local toy store... shame too, because some of these things are unbelievable... Production cost restraints, child safety issues and more all play into what you can finally purchase...

Here's a few photos of some earlier works that did make it to the shelves. These are all prototype models painted in Grey primer so that evaluations can be made regarding shape rather than color... All are fully functional with all mechanics engineered in place... The snowmobile/sled/ultralight attack vehicle transforms from the sled to the ultralight in less than two seconds by pushing one button. The ancient attack vehicle rolls on the ground and has all sorts of lever activated action features...

Sharing these with you so that you get an idea of what kind of detailing I'm putting into this new helicopter body... It will have a pretty full, recessed cockpit with separate pilot head (There have been many requests for a civilian/non-alien version of this bird... something Burt Rutan might have designed and found in a small airport... Therefore, there will not only be an alien head, but a human one as well to go with the streamlined civilian version.

Flight performance is really outstanding... What at first kept this bird from flying well, made a contribution to it's flying better than the original and easier than the original with training gear:

What happens is that there is a tripod stabilizing effect that happens because of the size, shape and location of the drooping nose and the rear landing leg pods... The down wash from the counter rotating blades pushes down on to the main body making this thing more stable than you can imagine... That aggressive forward tilting transitional posturing that takes place going into forward flight (nearly absent in all coaxials) lasts longer and adds to the visual effect in the air... So yeah, it flies great! (Seems to tolerate a little more wind than the stock model... again, tripod effect ads drag below the blades which allows it to stay tilted forward into the wind allowing it to fly with a slight headwind...

We're working on a new video with a full dressed ship hoping to include some spectacular "fantasy shots" (no effects regarding flight, just scale sets... ) I'll save it as a surprise... That video is taking longer than the tooling to create!

Hope this keeps you interested! (There's more info and photos about my past work in my blogs section here at this site if you're interested.)

Take care!

Richard

PS: NO! The ultralight does NOT fly! lol! (I wish!) ;D
Aug 20, 2008, 07:55 PM
Still hoping there will be a 5G6 version in the near future... I have one I could ship to you for measurement purposes...