Jul 27, 2008, 09:46 AM
over user
Thread OP
Discussion

Phoenix Models Extra 330s, 60-90 size

Hey all!

I KNOW I'm can't be the only one out there with this bird, so I'd like to begin a thread on it here. I hope to generate at least a FEW responses! This should be a fairlly popular plane, considering the bang for the buck factor. So...........here goes!

I am currently on my second model, as the first one went down due to switch failure????

Anyway, I have mine equipped with and SK .90 spinning a 15x8 zinger prop, Futaba 3010's on the control surfaces, and a AR6200 rx.

I would HIGHLY recommend the SK 90 with a pitts muffler. It has been nothing but reliable and strong. It whips this plane around like a missle. I'm actually considering under propping it a bit to slow it down. The SK .90 with a pitts muffler makes the plane very easy to balance. The book configuration sets the motor down at a 45, so you can use a HEAVY stock muffler. That would make the plane nose heavy to the point of adding weight to the tail. I have the motor set at a 90, so I can use a pitts muffler and save the weight.

With my current setup, I have the benefit of doing it twice to make improvements. I have moved the pull-pull rudder servo aft, to make the wing nuts more accessable, and to shift weight. This puts the 5 cell AA reciever within an inch of cg, making for plenty of room to move the pack fore or aft to make cg adjustments.

A few strong points of this model are the pull-pull rudder, airfoiled tail surfaces, and dual elevator servo's. A model of this size could be on either end of the spectrum as far as these options are concerned. When I was looking for a replacement for the original (Tower was out of stock) I looked at ALOT of models in this size range, and could find NONE with all these three options for this price. So I just opted to wait till Tower had good stock again and ordered a replacement.

The only real problem I encountered with this bird is the dual elevator servo's are a bit tricky to get to follow the same path. One is high, the other low. This makes for different length and angles of linkages. On the original I could get center and endpoints the same, but anywhere in between was a crapshoot. And a real pain.

With this in mind I put the servo's back to back. But with the width of the fuse, I had to cut and cover spacers to pull them out of the fuse about 1/8" so the backs of the servo's wouldn't collide. I also had to cut a new window for the other servo to rest in. A bit time consuming, but well worth the extra time. Just make sure this is done before gluing of the tail surfaces. And be sure to use the LOWER window.

The only downside is you either have to use a reversing Y or have a computer radio to properly mix and reverse the servo's to move in sync.

I don't have this plane down to a science on the flight end yet, as I lost it only a few weeks after the initial build. But I did manage to squeeze about 1 1/2 gallons of fuel through it first, although a good 2/3 of a gallon was break in.

It flies very lightly, and floats forever on a landing. With the beveled control surfaces, you can get ALOT of throw out of them. I'm sure with a little playing around with the cg and expo, I could get this plane to do some darn good 3D moves. More at 11............

Anyway today's the maiden of the re-kit, so I'll be back with a report afterward.

Happy flying all!!!!!!!!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2008, 04:14 PM
RMS
RMS
I have to follow this one since I am definitely going to get one of these...subscribed. Can't wait to hear the flight report.
Jul 27, 2008, 10:23 PM
over user
Thread OP
Maiden report as requested..............

Conditions, late afternoon, hazy sunshine, 5-10 mph west winds, right down the runway........ beautiful.

Of course after the unexplained mishap that claimed the first phoenix, I was a bit beside myself to get her airborne. I range checked 5 different ways, each with different throttle settings, and in different directions. I could only manage 60-70 feet, and spektrum asks for 90. I have never gotten any better range checks with any of my planes at my field. So I decided to go ahead with the flight.

First takeoff was a bit rough, as I over corrected prop torque with a little too much right rudder. Once the wheels were off the ground I got her straightened out and gained some altitude. A few clicks of down elevator were all that was needed for s&l flight.

Again, my nerves were still getting the best of me, so I took it pretty easy on the first few laps. After a bit I felt comfortable with a few simple loops and rolls. All tracked well, and were smooth and well executed, almost as if the plane was trying to make me look like a better pilot than I am!

I was already starting to get comfortable, and I was remebering why I missed this bird. It just feels so light when you fly it, especially on high rates. There is room for ALOT of throw on all surfaces, and I use it all up on 3d rates. I have 70-80% expo dialed in all around to make this managable.

I mildly flew out the 10 minute timer, and brought her in. It took 3 passes to get her down, it's so light on the wing, especially with the light west wind I was flying in. It just FLOATS right by. It could definatley benefit with spoilerons or flapperons to bring it down a little quicker. But I'm out of channels on my AR6200, so I'll have to pick up a 7200 to try that out.

After a smooth landing and quick but thorough inspection of the miscelaneous "things that can come loose on a maiden", I fueled her up and was off again.

This flight was a little more agressive. I did some inverted flight, to get a feel for the cg. All I needed was a little down elevator. Perfect. Now to 3d rates............ a few snaps, blenders, spins. This model really likes to flat spin. Almost have to bring it to a dead stop, and as soon as the nose goes down add full left rudder and start adding power. Beautiful.........

I also tried a few harriers at a safe altitude. Cg seemed good for that too, but my punchout was all but non- existent. I will have to play with prop pitches, needle valve settings, and muffler restrictions. I'm not sure if I can push the fuel up hill that long. It seems to be okay at first, but then fades off. Not totally lean, but not full power either. I will try to restrict the exhaust more before I mess with the needle valve or props.

So anyway, after playing right to the 10 minute mark, I decided to bring her in. The daylight was getting to the point of playing tricks on your eyes.

Same thing on the landing again. But with 2 passes this time. Maybe it's just me............I just hate to land this plane. I don't want to stop flying it.

I used a 16 oz sullivan flex tank in this model, instead of the included 10 oz tank. It had a good 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank left after each flight. I could easily have pushed it to 15 minutes, but I hate to run it that close.

So, all in all, it was a good day in this little Wisconsin town for me, and for my rekitted Phoenix Extra.

I highly recommend this plane for anyone who has had some time on a low wing plane. It can be set up docile enough for almost anyone to fly, and crazy enough to satisfy those with far more 3d skills than I have.

Happy flying!
Aug 02, 2008, 09:14 PM
over user
Thread OP
Got a few more flights in tonite. On the second flight I switched to a Zinger 15x6 prop. Now she will pull vertical. Does a very nice harrier.

Something about this kit seems better than the last one. It might just be me, but everything seems to be clicking. It's a lot of fun to fly. Even more so for what a value this plane really is.
Aug 19, 2008, 04:16 PM
Does your model have a romovable canopy hatch? If so, how does come off, and how does it go back on?

Thanks!
Aug 22, 2008, 06:13 PM
over user
Thread OP
If you look at the pics above, it actually comes off and exposes a good amount of real estate inside the fuse. It's bolted on by 4 bolts from the sides that screw into t nuts on tabs attached to the canopy.
Aug 23, 2008, 10:06 PM
Nice looking plane I just bought the same one with a OS max AX 75 in it hasent been nice enough to throw it at the sky. I hope the 75 is enough to make me happy??
Aug 24, 2008, 09:46 AM
over user
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDD
Nice looking plane I just bought the same one with a OS max AX 75 in it hasent been nice enough to throw it at the sky. I hope the 75 is enough to make me happy??
I've never owned an ax 75, but I just checked the specs, and you should have a very nice flying plane. I still don't have a perfect punch out with my 90 (not os), but it does pull the bird straight up, but at a slow pace.

Just a quick update here..... been flying this thing ALOT and I just love it. Had a great day at the field with it yesterday.

I've put 2 gallons through it since rebirth, which has to be less than a month. I can't get enough. It seems to never dissapoint me.

I'm temped to order another just to put on standby....
Aug 27, 2008, 02:38 PM
I got one tank through it the other day 7 minutes and it had 1/4 inch left in the tank. Yiiiks. Never tried to see if it would pull out of a hover just did some circuits some loops and rolls. I like it but it will be a couple tanks before I bring it down more.lol
Flew my twist for one tank to calm me down and my buddy had mixed his fuel and mine for us to fly and the next tank ( thank god) I put the twist up again it died inverted, 15 feet off the runway in a Harrier. Saved it. WHEW. Changed Glow plug same thing again looked in the fuel jug it was [email protected] floating around in it. %$(*@&^%(%#@
Grounded the 330 drained it flushed it and put a filter in it.

Takin it out on Friday if its nice.
Aug 27, 2008, 03:01 PM
over user
Thread OP
Speaking of fuel tanks..... I managed to stuff a sullivan 16 oz flex tank in mine. Maybe a bit overkill..... I land after 10 minutes and still have a good 1/3 tank left. I can tell the weight is gone upon landing. Have to bring her in under a bit of power cuz of where the cg is.

Nice save on your twist!!! Saw one of those fly too on Saturday, believe a 120 size with a 25cc evolution gasser on it. Very cool.

Keep flying your extra and let me know how you like it. I love mine, I fly it and my reactor bipe 2-3x a week. Can't get enough.
Sep 01, 2008, 12:50 AM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUY2&P=Z

that is the right plane?
might just have to order myself one
Sep 01, 2008, 06:17 AM
RMS
RMS
That's the one.
Sep 07, 2008, 10:45 PM
over user
Thread OP
If anyone is interested in an elecrtric conversion of this model, here's the thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781613

I am still enjoying this bird. It goes to the field with me every time. I can't get enough!!!! (just ask my wife)
Sep 14, 2008, 09:16 AM
over user
Thread OP

Update

Not much flying goin on with the Phoenix Extra lately. Daylight in Wisconsin ends earlier and earlier each day; it's been tough to make it out to the field on a weeknight with much fly time. And to top it off, then it rains all weekend!!!

I have made a change to the Phoenix to improve fuel delivery and make additude changes not so noticable to the engine. I added a header tank. See pics.

Seems to be good on vertical, not balistic, but it climbs without leaning out. I can do any manuver without messing up fuel flow. I think I'll do this on all my 3d planes from now on.

I have to thank RMS for the suggestion!
Last edited by Stevo Revo; Sep 14, 2008 at 09:25 AM.
Sep 14, 2008, 11:05 AM
RMS
RMS
Well the weather is no different in Massachusetts.............no flying this weekend, no flying after work! I guess I better buy another indoor chopper or get my Blade CX back from my brother. No, I'll fly the sim! Stevo, give me a call.

Quick Reply