2 questions about first flight. - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Steel41262@com, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
Discussion

2 questions about first flight.

1..My propeller is made of wood and it has a little chip on the end of one side?

Would you still fly with that? What are the best prop types wood or is there another?

2. I feel pretty confident that I can fly this plane. But I have never actually flown one. I have on a sim. And I also have flown small electric helicopters. Which are pretty difficult to control. But I can.

So if you were me would you just go to an open space and fly? Hoping for the best?

I don't belong to any local clubs, too expensive. Too many rules. Too far away.

I do belong to the AMA though.

That's it. Thanks.

P.S. I already had to fix the whole tail section because I fell on it and chrushed it. So If I can break it just sitting at home, I might as well fly it and take my chances right?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2008, 11:26 AM
God is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel41262@com
. . . Would you still fly with that? . . .
Use the prop at your own risk. Any nick or chip can cause the prop to "explode" into many small pieces. I wouldn't use it if I were you.

Quote:
. . . I feel pretty confident that I can fly this plane. . .
Confidence doesn't fly airplanes. I'd get an instructor to help you out for at least the first few flights. "Hoping for the best" can be very expensive.

Quote:
. . . I don't belong to any local clubs, too expensive. Too many rules. Too far away. . .
Join a club. If you can afford this hobby, you can afford a club. "Too many rules" raises a flag for your personality. Rules are for safety.

Quote:
. . . I might as well fly it and take my chances right?
Again, safety issues. This is not the right hobby to get into for someone likely to "take my chances".
Jul 26, 2008, 12:50 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Steel, I'm self-taught but I barely made it thru my first flight. It got better after that. The sim was a must for me but it was different from real life in size, perspective, apparent speed, etc. The only thing that is better about real world flight is that your peripherial vision works.

What sim do you have and how good are you with it?

I used the FMS sim. I also have a coax heli. But the heli skills prob didn't help me much with the plane other than being used to the tx.

If your not with an instructor, you need a really big area - at least bigger than you may assume. My field is 1/2 mile long and about 250-300 yds wide. For my first flights, this seemed too small - the length was ok but I wanted it to be wider. Because of the width, I was flying over trees a 100 to 200 yds in front of me. This made me more nervous than I was to begin with - doesnt bother me now.

Your plane is probably not trimmed right - even if you have a really good eye and spent hours adjusting clevises (I did). The plane is likely to want to bank one way or the other or climb or dive. When I first flew, I had to fight the elevator to keep from diving into the ground - I was too nervous to slide the trim on the tx. I had practiced trimming the plane out on the sim while airborne but you just cant get too nervous flying the sim - which is what happens when you fly the real plane (unless Steel also refers to your nerves).

You have to make sure your throws are set right. You have to make sure your control surfaces deflect in the right direction (e.g. when you move the aileron stick to the right, your right aileron needs to go up - not down)

I was able to do it successfully (but I also tried 10 yrs ago pre-sim and failed). So, I'm not suggesting you cant but it's not easy.

Re: prop: If it's just a little chip, you'll probably be ok. But, get a couple of apc 11x5 props. They won't break as easy. The wood props will often break when they strike the ground during less than perfet landings - the apc props often survive. Even if the apc props get chipped, they can last a long time.

It's your call. You can best weigh risks. Even an instructor prob cant guarantee success. I just hope you don't come home with a pile of balsa splinters.

On the bright side, after the first flight, it gets a lot easier.

Rodney
Jul 26, 2008, 01:21 PM
go for it what's the worse that can happen
1 you can kill yourself or someone else
2 you can cause someone's properity or yours to be damaged
3 you can total your plane
remember a sim is just a sim of real life, it isn't real life, sims are good for what they are...but I've never found a sim that's the same as actually landing....
go to the local field and get yourself an instructor..after you solo then go fly on your own
Jul 26, 2008, 06:58 PM
Sorry I asked. I thought guys in this hobby were supposed to be nice and helpful.

Viper.........after one post knows i'm in the wrong hobby.

Jetmech ....has me killing someone on my first flight.

Rodney......thanks for all the insight.

I didn't plan on and still don't plan on flying around any people.

It's a trainer plane. It dose not have TNT stapped to it. I'm not going to blow up someones house. Geez.

you know what this board isn't for me. I've asked a few questions in the "Newbie" section. Newbie meaning I don't know what i'm doing.

And I get blasted everytime I ask a question. I'm either stupid, or I wasted money. Or I'm going to destroy south florida.

I'll see you ..........Goodbye for good.

P.S. Why even have a beginners thread? Just all you cool dudes can talk about how cool your little planes are.
Jul 26, 2008, 07:25 PM
God is good
Chill pill in order, friend.

I was just trying to point out the dangers in this hobby.

If you can't . . . well, never mind. Seems you have an attitude.
Jul 26, 2008, 07:44 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
I'm not sure why he asked the question if he didn't want to hear the answer. Sometimes the truth hurts.

I rather have someone tell me the facts then say all is well.

Frank

"It's just a cold sore. Really it is."
Jul 26, 2008, 10:08 PM
I see nothing wrong with your awnsers. When I learned on a buddy box with my instructor I almost crashed twice before I even made 1 lap around the field. Thank god for the instructor. The poor guy that trained me helped me build my first arf too. I met him at the club field to fly his trainer spad and wrecked it for him when he wasnt paying attention to me after I had gotten a few flights under my wing. Then I bought a Alpha 40 arf. He lent me his 45LA to use with it. Worked about 4 evenings at his house then we flew it. Yes a instructor can be a wonderful thing and I am sure glad I had one. Thanks to Ted at Clark County Modelers for training me. Now I belong to my club and have met many new freinds. Having some people there to teach you safty is smart. You really can kill someone with one of these things. I dont think this guy here would last in any club with his attitude. Why go through life like that....must be a unhappy person. Anyway if he does need anymore help I hope he asks here because there are lots of people that can teach you many things to save time and money.

Jay
Mabey he was having a bad day...Ive been there
Jul 27, 2008, 08:52 AM
ok if more than 3 people say something is black, but you still think it's blue, than you need to look at yourself.

I'm sorry a chill pill is in order.

I was having a very bad day yesterday.

It's hard to say things on a message board and have them understood. It's not the same as face to face.

I just felt like I was getting attacked so I got defensive and acted like a little child. Give me my ball I'm going home kinda thing.....LOL.

I hope you accept my apology and forget about it.

Thanks for the honest answers.

Steve
Jul 27, 2008, 09:20 AM
God is good
Not a problem, Steve. We all have those days.
Jul 27, 2008, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the honest answers.
One thing is for sure, we are all here to help you and especially save you from possible disappointment if things go very wrong.
Too many pilots I have seen start, try things on their own, and then give up because of disappointment of crashes right after that long and hard work to make something fly.

Now, let's start over and ask and see if we can steer you in the right direction, so you can have fun doing this.

After all, we all have been there, done that, and we all have had our share of crashes and *oops* and start over agains, so we know what NOT to do .....
Jul 27, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hey Steel,
First question about the prop. I'd probably toss it. Props are pretty cheap and you don't want that thing coming apart on you at 12 or 13k rpm.
I prefer the composite APC brand props because they will tend to survive a prop strike much better than wood.
Second question. I was in the same boat as you when I first learned to fly. The club airfield was a long way away and I had enough room here at home and dozens of hours of sim time so I thought I'd give it a try on my own. I did manage to take off and fly a few ovals and figure eights. My landing however was pretty rough and I ended up cart wheeling down the runway. Tore the firewall out and bent the landing gear pretty bad. Fixed everything and tried again a few days later. I was able to get her up and did a few circuits and then I tried my first loop. I actually made the first two attempts but on the third try I was a little low. I would have made it but the bottom of the loop intersected with a woven wire fence. The explosion of balsa and monocote followed by a loud WHUMP was truly impressive. I was able to salvage the engine and servos and that's just about it. So died the TT40 trainer. It was at this time that I decided the club field was not that far after all. I met a lot of great people there and my instructor was able to get me soloed on my TT60 trainer in about 6 sessions. It's a great feeling to land and actually taxi back to the pits. But more than flying, I found it's a lot of fun to check out all the models that people have and to watch some real expert pilots. There really is a lot more to this hobby than just being on the sticks. Which ever path you choose, remember to have fun and be safe.
Best of luck to you.
Jul 27, 2008, 12:24 PM
This thread should be a sticky.

Frank
Jul 27, 2008, 05:48 PM
hey Vipor thanks for understanding and forgiving.

Thankyou Everyone that has helped, yes you are a great bunch of guys.

I can be a .... sometimes. I don't mean too. I just get frustrated as was said in the post above.

But I see everyone is very kind and helpful even to a ......lol

Thanks Guys I really appreciate it. and I will head your advice.

Steve
Jul 27, 2008, 05:56 PM
Steve,

Note that you have your own sticky now.

Nice job! That doesn't happen very often.

Frank