Jul 25, 2008, 11:36 AM
2^p - 1
Thread OP
Build Log

Axis v3 EPP practice plane!

Afraid of crashing? Not any more!!

Here's the newest design that I've been working on for a while. It's designed to be a F3 pattern/freestyle practice plane. It probably won't win any competitions in either category, but it is a great practice platform.

The history: Several years ago I built a couple of EPP planes based on Martin Mueller's Manta, and they took some SERIOUS abuse (in fact, one is still flying). I have cartwheeled, nose dived full throttle, landed in trees then jabbed them out with a branch, and crashed in all sorts of horrible ways and they kept on flying. More recently I've been practicing precision flight and have built several versions of my Axis out of depron. I love the precision of depron planes, but find myself flying my trusty old EPP Manta more than anything, especially when I want to practice new maneuvers. So finally I decided to blend the two: an Axis out of EPP!

Specs:
32" WS
Blue wonder motor, 8x4
2s 460mAh
180g AUW

*Edit* Video on post #20
Last edited by signflyer; Aug 16, 2008 at 06:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
2^p - 1
Thread OP
Here's a video from a couple of years ago of the Manta. This was just before I began practicing the sequences, so it's just some basic maneuvers. I'll try to get some video of the Axis this week.

RC Airplane - EPP aerobatics pt1 (1 min 22 sec)
Last edited by signflyer; Jul 25, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
Jul 27, 2008, 07:23 AM
Just one more.......
That's really nice work signflyer and great plans and build guide! Maybe a link in the "Scratchbuilt forum" too as I'm sure those guys will love this one!
Jul 27, 2008, 07:36 AM
Very nice!

I bought some EPP from Richard Boyd at the end of last season to build myself a practice plane, probably based on my Index, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Why did you do an enclosed fuselage instead of just building your existing Axis design in EPP with some extra carbon as needed? Is it for stiffness, aesthetics or both?

Aidan
Jul 27, 2008, 08:54 AM
2^p - 1
Thread OP
Thanks guys! I was beginning to think that I'm the only one who still crashes

Aidan--the fuse adds just the right amount of torsional rigidity and remains 'crashable'. Without it, the tail would twist like crazy. Sure you can build with EPP and reinforce with CF and end up with an airframe just as rigid as one from depron, but then it's just as 'brittle' as well.

Also, when it comes to planes I'm a 'function before form' type, but in this case I happen to like the looks of the fuse as well.
Jul 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
2^p - 1
Thread OP

More videos

Here's one of a pretty hard crash into a tree--just needed a new rubber band for the prop and I was flying again.

More videos of the Manta--I'm not ready to crash the new beauty model!
Crash video
Last edited by signflyer; Jul 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM.
Jul 27, 2008, 11:55 AM
2^p - 1
Thread OP

A few more mild crashes

Here is some more flying around with minor crashes. I was actually trying to throw the sticks a bit and force myself to crash, but all my instincts are to avoid hitting the ground! It's hard to crash on purpose!

More flying
Jul 27, 2008, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by signflyer
...Sure you can build with EPP and reinforce with CF and end up with an airframe just as rigid as one from depron, but then it's just as 'brittle' as well.

Also, when it comes to planes I'm a 'function before form' type, but in this case I happen to like the looks of the fuse as well.
Very good point. I'll give it a bit of thought before I build something. I may very well end up copying you!
Jul 27, 2008, 12:46 PM
Geaux Saints
Where did you put the battery? I'm assuming from the build log thru the canopy. How are you attaching the canopy then? I was thinking earth magnets but you my have a better idea!

Mike
Jul 27, 2008, 01:14 PM
2^p - 1
Thread OP
Mike - yes, the canopy provides access to the battery and pull-pull tensioners. I just use a friction fit for the canopy, and the battery is velcroed.

Aidan - if you'd like the CAD files to work from, just let me know.
Jul 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
Foam Junkie
Signflier, just banging the sticks around? An inverted hand launch with out even thinking about it. You have skills! Nice video. I think I have to put this on the "Must build list". Thanks, ThickThumbs ~ Anthony
Jul 29, 2008, 06:21 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Very nice Scott. Great plans, instructions and paint scheme as usual. Looking forward to seeing how she flys
Jul 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
2^p - 1
Thread OP
Finally got it all trimmed out, I'll get video ASAP (hopefully indoors Thursday). My CG ended up about 1/4" back from where it's located on the plans.

I've been so careful with the 'beauty model', but last night it got stuck in our smaller tree which required hitting it with a ball, prodding with a long pole, then finally climbing up to get it down. That opened up the bag for punishment apparently: this morning it got stuck in another tree and fell from about 15 feet, then I drove it straight into the rain gutter where it fell again. About 297 crashes until retirement

*edit* I should add the damage report: the ball strike hit the wing hard enough to break the heat shrink control joint on the aileron, and a branch tore a bit of the depron doubler. No damage to the EPP structure.
Last edited by signflyer; Jul 29, 2008 at 08:56 AM.
Jul 29, 2008, 09:09 AM
Suspended Account
next time please ask those birds to be quiet when your filming a video? all that chirping made it sound too nice outside and distracted me from your performance!

thanks
ededge2002
Jul 29, 2008, 05:17 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Wow , you have definitely continued to improve your skillz, but you know im a fan.maybe we could work out a trade...ill pm you.
Got to have one of your great fliers!And i have a fresh park250 nib,as well as as 2 cell 600 think thats too heavy?
Nice weather ,are you flying in front of your house?...you dog

Quick Reply