Jul 25, 2008, 06:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

GERMAN OPEN F3K Results

Hi to All,

the results of every round will be published on

www.mcm-muenchen.com

Please scroll down on the startpage to RESULTS

It will be updated after a finished round!

Good luck to all!

Alex
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2008, 06:53 AM
What a nice service for the people staying at home.

Only one small question. Is it possible that there are only 11 groups but 12 group winners with 1000 points or do i have missed something?

And also from me, good luck to all.
Jul 25, 2008, 10:23 AM

12 winners with only 11 groups

Yes it is if two or more pilots in a group are tied with a winning score, all are scored with 1000 points. I saw that, assumed this to be the case and did not look at the raw scores which do not show any more.

Interesting to note that after 3 rounds scored a Jr. flyer is still tied for first.

Dick
Jul 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
Flying IS the hobby
wow, this spread is tight, the top twenty spots are leaving almost nothing up for grabs... someone blinks and they might loose ten spots... we'll see a lot of names moving around all day
Jul 25, 2008, 10:49 AM
Richard Pinho
After 3 rounds: six pilots are tied with 3000 points in the first place, Oleg is one of them. Phil Barnes is 9th with 2996.64.

Go Oleg!
Jul 25, 2008, 10:57 AM
Flying IS the hobby
There is a six hour difference from here, and we only have three rounds!, Ben can post faster than that ;-)

Alex, post new rounds when you get a chance

Thanks for sharing
Jul 25, 2008, 05:32 PM
Oleg Golovidov

Day 1 results

Day 1 is finished as you can probably guess. The results are posted by Alex W. here http://www.mcm-muenchen.com/wettbewerbe/F3KResult.pdf - that is very nice of the organizers, I did not know they were posting the results in real time. We flew 4 full rounds and 5 groups of round 5 today. With so many pilots it takes forever to complete a round. If you get an early group assignment in one round and a late group in the next one, there will be about 3-4 hours (!) between those two groups and you can take a trip to Munich or read a whole book while waiting for the next group. This makes it difficult (for me at least) to concentrate on your flying. I didn't have a book, so there was a LOT of sitting and walking around for me. Due to such a long time between the flights, the adrenalin and jitters of the first round of the contest were long gone by the second round, and it was practically all over again - as if I have not had a previous round today. I did not get picked for timing by the USA pilots at all today and had a lot of free time on my hands (too much really), although I myself was using Phil's help as a timer in all rounds. I did time for my new Russian pilot friends a few times though. Phil was timing for a lot of USA pilots and he did not get a lot of rest today. Paul Anderson got a dose of bad luck immediately in round 1, when somebody launched his model right through Paul's brand new Vandal - the very first launch of the day for Paul. He still got a respectable 917 score in that round. Another unfortunate incident happened to Adam Weston in round 4 when he missed his group and the organizers called for him only when the round started. He ran out to the field with about 8 minutes left in the working time and did as well as he could in the remaining time (about 800+ points I think).

My camera battery ran out of power after round 1, so I only have pictures from the early part of the day. I will try to take more pictures tomorrow.

The weather was quite nice, very sunny, occasional clouds, sometimes windy. The interesting feature of the weather here is that it changes several times during the day, sometimes every hour. We had several hours of very difficult windy conditions. In the morning the air was again very light and thin, with very weak thermals. In general, the thermals were very unreliable and elusive most of the day. An apparent strong lift could very easily disappear from the time you found it in the previous flight and launched into it again. The thermal could also dissipate on you any moment and force you to limp back to the field or make a brave dash for another potential piece of lift.

By the time round 5 started it was very late in the day, around 6:45pm. Most of us actually thought we were done after round 4. I packed my panes and other stuff. The organizers announced the start of round 5 and we continued flying. My group assignment in round 5 was 9, so I did not get to fly anymore, but several of the USA pilots and both of my Russian pilot friends flew round 5 late in the evening. The air was VERY soft, almost no movement, just occasional very light thermal drifts. The task was 2 last flights 4 minute max. Amazingly, in many groups the majority of pilots maxed out the task! I am afraid the USA pilots lost some points in this round - Phil, Bruce, and Mike were below the best pilot in their group.

I did OK in 3 rounds, despite my extreme nervousness. Phil's help in calling the air was a big part of my good flying. In round 4 I did not listen to Phil's advice not to launch right away and be a guinea pig for all other pilots. The task was 3x3min and it was obvious that there were a lot of strong pilots in my group. We all maxed out 2 flights. At that time the air was a bit soft and not reliable. I decided to launch right away into a perceived lift area while everybody on the field was watching me and picking a place to launch. I did not find my lift and meandered for the entire minute of the extra time in the round. I then had to run and relaunched 11 seconds late to get a full 3 minute fight That cost me about 20 points and moved me to 8-th place as you can see from the results.

It's past midnight here. We have to be at the field by 7:30 tomorrow...
Jul 25, 2008, 05:38 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Oleg,

Thank you for posting the report and pictures - before you go, did the Jr class (if there was one) fly in their own group?
Jul 25, 2008, 05:54 PM
Accoring to the scoring , a Junior is tied for 1st place overall after 4 rounds.

Clay
Jul 25, 2008, 06:19 PM
Challenge is rewarding
Great Job guys. Remember it is a long contest, so just approach every round with a clear head. Keep at it, and enjoy yourselves.
Jul 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the great update Oleg, it makes us feel closer to you guys. Don't get discouraged for the lost 11s, the others are humans too ;-). Keep up the good work and try to enjoy as much as you can! Let the lift be with you!

Mihai
Jul 25, 2008, 11:02 PM
M Seid
It is a long contest. The USA guys are for the most part doing very well. We havent seen much of Oleg though. We want him to know that we still like him, kinda, but he set up camp with a few of his local boys, which makes finding him for timing a challenge. Today we'll set up in closer proximity so that his feelings arent hurt, and he has more to do during the day

A few random events, and a few small mistakes are good for a quick drop down the leader board. Pauls first throw in round one launched upwind, SAMed a plane whose pilot launched downwind. First throw, 20 feet up, mid air. Westons wristwatch broke, and I inadvertanty hit a Th cut Tx switch on launch in round 3 for my 1,2,3,4 which set my flaps permently in reflex. I hit air immediately on launch and was on my way to a 4. The thermals do get a little finicky and I found it difficult to recore. As soon as I was in a little sink, the plane started handling very wierd and I barely made it back. I didnt notice the 15degree reflex in my flaps till I landed costing me a huge point drop, despite flying flawlessly in the round. Shouldnt have happened. Non of us have flown this field to my knowledge, but as a group we have had a decent showing so far. The guys that did fly round five last nite, Phil and I were both in group 4, saw perfectly still air with little in the way of lift. Really all you could do was hang. I made my 4 on the first flight somehow, but managed only 135 s on my second after launching right at the 4 min mark. I think that was good for 3 or 4th best time with a few pilots beating that by +10 seconds or so- but Im not sure how many people maxed their first throw. But the best time in that round was 240 +190 and he BARELY made it back landing only a few feet over the line, leaking at very low altitude for 30 seconds or so. Great flying for sure, and could have easily landed 20 feet out, but thats the margin between a flight in the high 900s, and the 800s- needless to say we got pounded. The weather is predicted to get much worse with rain and what ever follows that on sunday. We expect that at least 11 rounds will be flown, and 2 dropped. Its 5 45 am here now and courtesy of ongoing jetlag, and an aversion to German food, Im up early. Looks like its going to be a very sunny morning, giving way to much more challenging conditions later on. Im completely relaxed about the contest, much more so than either polecat or poway and havent stressed out at all. Maybe because beer is sold by the liter here. There is a lot more flying today and Im sure well see a lot of shuffling around as conditions worsen.
Last edited by M Seid; Jul 25, 2008 at 11:09 PM.
Jul 26, 2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the pictures and stories

How many pilots will there be in the fly off?
Jul 26, 2008, 11:41 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Thank you guys for the report and pictures and Alex excellent job on the scores, looking forward to more!
Jul 26, 2008, 12:58 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Paul,

A mid air on the first launch?!! Arghhhh!
You thrive at this, dude. You're almost there. Keep it up!
Find that happy air!!

Jun

Quick Reply