Jul 24, 2008, 10:25 AM
Student of Ivan
Build Log

Auster Aiglet from Ivan's Plans

This will be a semi-build log on my third Ivan's plans build, the Auster Aiglet J5F. Specifications are 75" span, 52" length, 850 sq inches of wing area. Ivan's prototype came in at 72 ounces with nicads. He built his in '97 and still has it but has since changed to lipos. We saw it fly at Chilliwack this year. It was amazing to see the "Master" pilot this nimble aircraft, giving us demonstrations of a Cuban eight, Immelman, and Split "S", with plenty of loops and precision three point landings thrown in. He has flown his on skis and floats so this is a versitile aircraft.

This log is a bit belated as I actually started about a month ago. The fuselage is pretty straightforward. Care should be taken in the area of the cabin. Ivan recommends spruce and epoxy for this part so you know its needed. Cutting the spruce reinforcement pieces was fairly easy with a tablesaw and a homemade sliding table, just be sure that all four are equaly tapered.

Power on mine will be provided by a MEC Turbo 10 plus and MEC 6:1 superbox swinging a 14-12 APC "e" prop. I've already tested this setup with a 3S lipo and it turns the prop at 3900 rpm pulling 30.84 amps and 237.7 watts. The motor mount was put in yesterday with the required down/side thrust. Today I glued up the block which will become the nose.

John
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2008, 10:56 AM
Hey John - Lookin' good! I bet it will sound great with that big gearbox and big prop pushing air. Are you coming back and showing her off next year?
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Jul 24, 2008 at 11:03 AM.
Jul 24, 2008, 11:13 AM
Keep off the Grass!!

A Pleasant Surprise...

...to see you making such a very neat job of this under-admired subject and excellent design approach by the Master!

I've been playing at the Aiglet Trainer at about half this size. I got a fair way with it with a certain amount of sensibility, and then decided to change things, and put doors and suchlike in! Weight began to rise... So I've left it for a while for some re-thinking

I'll be watching this. It's Aeromodelling!!

All the best

Ade
Jul 24, 2008, 11:37 AM
Two left thumbs
I'll sign on too. I've always liked the looks of the British Taylorcraft.
Jul 24, 2008, 12:34 PM
Student of Ivan
Frank,

If you promise to bring the Gotha, I'll do my best to make it! I figured Luke might not welcome me next year if I dumped another huge crate upon his doorstep...

Geoff,

Yes, she's a beauty!

Adrian,

Thanks, I was watching your thread as well, and will continue to do so. Mine won't be quite as detailed as yours which is coming along nicely. I admire anyone who attempts a complete scratchbuilt without plans! Perhaps in the future I may attempt this as well.

John
Jul 24, 2008, 03:32 PM
Another build to watch
Rick
Jul 24, 2008, 03:41 PM
96RC/3178W
Very Nice John. I am looking forward to the build.

~Matt
Jul 24, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hi John,
Looking forward to seeing your Auster take shape, one of my favourites. I've got a DB kits Auster in my hangar, though I haven't flown her for a while. I've always thought that the Auster would look good on floats too, not that I've got round to doing that yet with mine! Are you tempted in that direction?
Paul W.
Jul 24, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ron
Ron
You'll be happy with the Auster...it's a great little model. Seems like only yesterday I saw the maiden...my my how time flies :-)
Jul 24, 2008, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442
Frank,
If you promise to bring the Gotha, I'll do my best to make it!
Oh yes John, as long as the airplane gods don't smack her into terra firma before next May, the Gotha will be there!
Jul 24, 2008, 10:13 PM
Ron
Ron
Frank:
If that happens, you'll just have to bring a big green bag full of Gotha pieces, and we can all help you re-assemble it
Jul 25, 2008, 12:53 AM
Watts up ?
I am keen to see the end results as my Dad and I actually owned the full size Auster J1A1 one of just two in Australia. Would love a electric RC version !! Can`t wait to see more pix. Well done
Jul 25, 2008, 12:57 AM
Fly2Build.com
Signing on, John. Thanks for sharing with us and looking forward to the adventure.

Mike
Jul 27, 2008, 05:50 AM
It's looking real good John! And as for large packages at my door next year, didn't we agree on nothing bigger than a MudBug??!

I got a small bit of footage of Ivan's Aiglet at Chilliwack this spring, posted below. I didn't film much as it was just too entertaining to watch Ivan fly, and hard to stick my eye behind a camera screen. It's a great model, and like John says, very versatile with the option for floats and skis.

Luke

Ivan's Auster Aiglet
Jul 27, 2008, 11:51 AM
Fly2Build.com
LOL, nothing bigger than a Mudbug. That's just plain ol' funny. I'm gonna have to write that one down guys

I can imagine if my wife was "into" modeling, I'd likely hear everyday references like "that paycheck makes even a Mudbug look big " or my kids: "does your Mudbug know you stole his pants, daddy? " (when I can't get em buttoned up, which seems to be a direct correlation of how often this happens vs. how busy the workbench ).

Anyhow, thanks for the laugh this AM guys.

Mike

Quick Reply