This thread is privately moderated by Trouble Maker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 23, 2008, 11:00 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP
Discussion

Aerial Photography

When I decided to get into electric radio control airplanes I ran across RCGroups. I started doing some research and quickly found out the GWS Slow Stick was a very popular trainer. Needless to say I found myself at the LHS picking one up. It wasn't to long after I maiden my first plane that my intrest in Aerial Photography was sparked.

I ran across a thread by TaSaJaRa here on RC Groups and started emailing him. Soon I found my self straping a camera on the bottom of the Slow Stick and flying around my neighbor hood.

I quickly found out that I wanted to do more. I especially wanted to fly something with ailerons. I ordered the Millennium RC SSX and started the build. I decided to do my own build thread here on RC Groups because I had never really been apart or posted to any forums. I was fortunate enough that during the build of my SSX I ran into Moxjett here on RC Groups.

Moxjett lives in the same town as I do and he helped me along the way. He offered up his Super Zoom for me to fly so I could get use to ailerons during the build of the SSX. It gave me a chance to fly with ailerons on an EPP airplane that would better with stand a crash over the balsa wing SSX.

Below you will find the link to the build thread images of my Millennium Slow Stick AP plane and some video and images from the plane. Enjoy!

MILLENNIUM SSX AERIAL PHOTOGRAPY BUILD THREAD

Last edited by Trouble Maker; Feb 23, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2009, 01:51 AM
Epic Huckin'
wow nice shots, whats the location of the place?
Feb 27, 2009, 07:20 PM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
wow! looks great! makes me wanna put the electronics back in my slow stik and do some filming!

i think you may wanna angle the camera up just a hair more, because the whole time i found my self trying to look forward and see what was coming....but still - great job! the plane looks very nice, and clean!
Feb 28, 2009, 02:54 AM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP
paintball_kids

The images were taken in Wichita, Kansas over a housing addition called the Morings. Thanks for the compliments.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
wow nice shots, whats the location of the place?
Feb 28, 2009, 02:58 AM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP
helifryer,

Thanks for the kind words. The problem I have with angling the camera up is that the propeller will be in frame. Thats were a helicopter would come in handy.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by helifryer
wow! looks great! makes me wanna put the electronics back in my slow stik and do some filming!

i think you may wanna angle the camera up just a hair more, because the whole time i found my self trying to look forward and see what was coming....but still - great job! the plane looks very nice, and clean!
Feb 28, 2009, 08:09 AM
Nice spot.

You should have the camera point to the side, then no propeller problems. Also will decrease drag a little bit, but off to the side is how the vast majority of AP rigs are setup.

Make sure the camera's always on sport mode and even with an electric it's normally best to take the pics while gliding, to reduce vibrations.
Feb 28, 2009, 08:24 AM
you could try something like what i did....maybe...my mount
Feb 28, 2009, 12:31 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
Nice spot.

You should have the camera point to the side, then no propeller problems. Also will decrease drag a little bit, but off to the side is how the vast majority of AP rigs are setup.

Make sure the camera's always on sport mode and even with an electric it's normally best to take the pics while gliding, to reduce vibrations.

JWilliams2 thanks.

I have not made a mount to shoot out the side yet. The only problem even setting on sport mode is that the relative movement between the subject you are shooting and the moving plane where the camera is mounted will make it much harder to capture images that are not blured.

If the camera is always picking up movement you would really need to be shooting at a higher ISO which I don't think most low end cameras are cabable of.

In my opinion it is also more difficult to figure out if your image is lined up in the frame. Not that I might not try it some time, but there sure seems to be more challenges to over come.

I would love to see your setup or examples of setups you menitioned along with end results. I always eager to learn. Thanks again for visiting and posting.

Mark
Feb 28, 2009, 03:19 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifryer
you could try something like what i did....maybe...my mount
Hey helifryer looks good. Do you have a link to photos or videos? I would love to see them.

Thanks,
Mark
Feb 28, 2009, 03:22 PM
just click on my avatar to get to my blog. they are mostly at the bottom of the blog, cuz they were my first entries. the videos kinda suck, because they were from when i first started flying, and also before i converted to brushless. but enjoy!
Mar 02, 2009, 02:21 PM
St. Boondock
Very nice rig!! That's one serious SS!!!
Jul 30, 2009, 07:38 PM
FPV for Me
Nice shots.. Don't know how I missed them

Quick Reply