Jul 21, 2008, 04:59 PM
i think i need a bigger boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregurtha1013
You can build like the navy does at Marinette Marine..... build it as the plans come off the drawing board. That way you can go back later and rip stuff apart multiple times to accomodate design changes.
deleted
Last edited by wolfsong; Nov 17, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2008, 06:41 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Marinette Marine is probably just happy the Navy wasn't like the Army was with the Bradley. MM has the CG work for now so maybe the Navy can work out the kinks.

I really love the look of those fireboats. If I ever do get around to building a fireboat I will do the Cataract, Milwaukee's first boat.
Jul 23, 2008, 08:03 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Well, I confirmed that the LA Maritime Museum DOES have Fellows & Stewart archives... now I have to wait while the librarian searches the uncatalogued collection. She seemed incredulous- how did I find out about it?
I recounted:
  1. Online, searching for something else, stumbled across copy of article from 1959 modeling magazine (thanks Uncle Willie!);
  2. Intrigued, searched for info on Long Beach Harbor Dept and Long Beach Fire Dept; found an image at the LBFD Historical Museum.
  3. Inquired there, and got some more images, including a copy of an equipment card for the boats... the card included a line "Fellows & Stewart".
  4. Suspecting that might have been the builder, searched on F&S... found very little... they made some subchasers in WW2... but there was a mention on a Mutiny on the Bounty fan site! F&S apparently made one of the boats used in the movie. Almost as an aside, that page mentioned that the F&S archive was at the LAMM.
Lordy, what would I do without the internet?

BTW: I saw another reference mentioning that some of the LA fireboats were built there too... might be a good source for anyone interested in those boats...
Dec 24, 2008, 12:43 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
BTW, struck out, no further info found...
Dec 24, 2008, 12:51 PM
Pat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton
Build It,build It,build It,build It,build It,build It!!!!!!!! Heeheehee
Dec 24, 2008, 12:52 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
BTW, struck out, no further info found...
Were the drawing from the Model Airplane magazine enough info to build the hull??
Dec 24, 2008, 01:44 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Yes, but it would be great to have original builder's plans...
Dec 26, 2008, 03:53 PM
Sweeper Nut
Speaking of fire boats..I will try a test pic and see if this works. I am also working on a mold for Old LA Fire Boat #2 as seen in pic below.
Dec 26, 2008, 04:37 PM
Grumpa Tom
1/48 scale Mike? I would be interested in that, since military stuff is not my thing but tugs and fireboats are.
Dec 26, 2008, 05:14 PM
Sweeper Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
1/48 scale Mike? I would be interested in that, since military stuff is not my thing but tugs and fireboats are.
Ive got the hull and deck in 1/24 just need plans for the deck house...I'm gonna go down there and measure the deck house soon and everything else when I get a chance. I will post pics of the hull soon. It kinda looks like a watermelon cut in have, its not designed for open water.
Dec 26, 2008, 05:22 PM
Grumpa Tom
1/24 even better! Start a new thread of your own!
Dec 26, 2008, 05:29 PM
Sweeper Nut
Will do..in a bit
Dec 26, 2008, 06:36 PM
Sweeper Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
I would be interested in that, since military stuff is not my thing but tugs and fireboats are.
If you want Tom, I know a few of the guys down at Boat 2, I can get us on the old one so we can take pics if interested. It might cost a little B&R though.
Dec 26, 2008, 08:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
You've got a PM.
Dec 27, 2008, 02:06 PM
are they still in use/commission? try calling the LBFD and see if the boats (and crews have any pics).
My great-grandfather was a captain on one of Seattle's first fire boats. Never have done any research which one or what she looked like. Got too many other things on my plate (building board) right now but it sounds like an interesting project.
Foo

Quick Reply