Jul 18, 2008, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

BP hobbies Sukhoi 40" build/paint/mini-review-video

Alright guys, here is my first attempt and a build/review thread.

Like many people, I am a fan of cheap things, especially when they turn out the be cheap and fly great! This is the case with the BP hobbies Sukhoi 40" kit.

bp hobbies sukhoi

Here is what I have for my setup:
Turnigy Motor from HobbyCity
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5690
4 9gram servos from Hobbycity
A SuperSimple esc from hobbycity
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Simple_30A_ESC

So pretty much, I went as cheap as I can on this plane.

So first I'll start out with the process of how I painted the big guy.

Here is a picture of all the pieces laying out.

First I assembled the wings. All you do is glue the two pieces together then glue the included cf spare in the pre-cut slot. On painting I started with the wing and elevator. I used a very thin (green) tape to make the edges of the checkered area. I then use purplish 2" masking tape and simply cut our squares and place them onto the area to become checkered.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then use a very sharp razor blade to cut the edges of masking tape so it doesn't go over the thin edging.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next you put some tape on the outer edge of the checker edge area. This is so you don't get overspray on the other area. Make sure to use the light purple tape, the darker blue tape will mess up the foam.
[IMG][/IMG]

I then put a thin coat of black over the open area on the checkered part, being careful to not spray to much and get black on the outside area.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next (after letting the paint dry, I carefully use a heat gun to move it along) peel off the tape on the checkered.
[IMG][/IMG]

Leaving the masking tape on the edge, carefully and lightly airbrush the edges and wherever else to get a nice effect. I use black first then a couple of lines of white. You don't have to do this, but it looks pretty sweet. This is the wing and elevator after that step. Don't peel off the green edge tape yet!
[IMG][/IMG]

Next I taped the edges of the checkered area to protect from overspray. The outside I started with a base coat of yellow.

I then used red, starting close to the checkered part, and faded out. After that I put in some lightning. This is really really easy to do. First make the main bolt by going over it lightly then go in again more carefully to make the fine bolt.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the wings and elevator after that step.
[IMG][/IMG]
Last edited by adreher; Jul 18, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2008, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Next I'm going to do kind of a true-fire effect on them middle section. First, as usual tape off the checkered area, then put down a base red coat. To do the true fire effect you need to make a free hand template. On the picture is the website where you can download these.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is a picture after putting down the red base coat and doing the effect.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the finished wings and elevator
[IMG][/IMG]

I then used the same technique to do the fuselage and side supports. This is all the pieces finished.
[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see the control surfaces are done. Again, very simple to do. Cut one edge and use 2" tape from home-depot to attach. On this plane I painted over the tape, probably won't on the next one.

All right, now to the build. Here is a picture after I put the wing into the pre-cut slot. I used hot glue to build this whole plane. Once the wing is in I put a bead on the four edges where the wing meets the fuselage.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next I put the elevator into the slot and attached the same way as the main wing.

Here is a picture after gluing on the side pieces.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next I cut and attached the rudder, again it all fit on very easy and the total build process took about 30 minutes.
[IMG][/IMG]

Glue in the included motor mount
[IMG][/IMG]
Jul 18, 2008, 09:06 PM
Thread OP
Next is a picture of the rudder servo. Both rudder and elevator servo are at the end of the wing. Also notice that on the side horizontal pieces I glued a long piece of cf tube to help with strength. This is very needed.
[IMG][/IMG]

picture of all the servo locations
[IMG][/IMG]

Another picture of servos
[IMG][/IMG]

Picture of all the electronics. ESC and reciever on one side, battery on the other.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last I put a support for the elevator and rudder linkages. Again, this was very much needed since I am using the included cf rod and the bend alot under pressure.
[IMG][/IMG]

Completed plane
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Picture with another plane I painted for a buddy
[IMG][/IMG]

Now for the flying. I really love this plane. For a $20.00 piece of foam this thing doesn't really have any bad habbits. It really floats around even with the 2200mah batteries I use. With that motor is had way more power than you need, it goes vertical like none other. Now given, it doesn't fly like my 3dhobbyshop plane, but for the buck, this plane is about as much fun as you can have.

I love it because I can do low rolling circles, tail touch hovers, fly under monkey bars and outdoor shelters (in the video). I would never try that stuff with any of my other planes, but since this thing is so cheap, i'll try anything!

Well, hope some of you enjoyed my little (big) post. I really enjoyed painting the planes and would love to do more. If you are interesed in this plane and having me paint one for you or another plane you are interested in just shoot me a pm. Thanks!

And last, the video. Not great, but shows that it does fly.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ent=sukhoi.flv
Jul 21, 2008, 09:18 PM
Winging it >
Awesome paint job!

Thanks for sharing the painting techniques.
Jul 28, 2008, 08:25 PM
Philippians 4:13
That really looks like the plane that I would like to buy next. Hummm....
Jul 29, 2008, 04:14 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
Adreher,
My goodness, what a work of beauty. You are very talented. I could only hope to ever get that good. I've basically only used cans because I have no experience with airbrush, but I need to learn this. I do have a badger airbrush that came with those air cans, but they don't work well so I'll have to find an air compressor. Do you have any suggestions on an air compressor that would work that isn't too expensive. Currently I am on disability for a couple months so I have to watch my spending but already have lots of foam and building materials. Thanks for sharing your work. I am truly inspired by your work.

Jim
Jul 29, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Hey, thanks for the kind words, but I only got to what I can do (which is nothing compared to the real professionals) but just trying stuff and "borrowing" other's ideas. And doing a scheme like what is in the post is truly easier than you might think, just give it a shoot!

As far as compressors I have a very large one because I do larger scale painting as well. But just for airbrushing walmart has some cheap ones and one like this from harbor freight would work well too. You want at least 40 psi for it to work well.

compressor

Also, found out some cool stuff tonight. I use minwax water based polyurethane clear gloss to put a protective coat over the paint. I didn't have to thin it or anything, just shot it straight through the airbrush. After you let it dry completely it worked amazingly well. I could scrape at it with my fingernail and the paint wouldn't come off, it also gave it a nice gloss shine. Will defiantly be using this on future jobs.
Aug 16, 2008, 02:41 PM
Weed's Are People Too!
Hmmm...I might have a problem in that area...my comperssor only does 20 PSI..is a Pasche compressor...but certainly not 40 PSI'able....as It wasnt cheap I will need to find a way to use it I guess...Perhaps just thin the paint a bit more..with alchohol..or NON_amonia windex....Sure does a great Job ( your painting) to look VERY COMPLICATED...the thin whisp of black & white create a 3d look..Thanks for sharing...and if you ever do a VIDEO please let me know.

Anyway you could give MORE of an example of HOW to use the Template? I see It...and went to the website....But not quite clear HOW you used it.
Thanks In Advance,

Pat

P.S. Thank you very much for your PM reply!!
Last edited by weed; Aug 16, 2008 at 03:12 PM.
Aug 16, 2008, 05:16 PM
War Eagle!
Wow, I really like what you did here.

Do you think that HF compressor is adequate? I have two nice badger airbrushes but no compressor, so I really think this would be a fun plane to goof around on.

Did the CF push rods come with the plane, or did you make them?

That motor is out of stock at the moment, any other motor you would recommend from them? I was aobut to place orders from both HC and BP so I'm adding this combo to it.
Last edited by sneasle; Aug 16, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
Aug 16, 2008, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Here is a link to the first of 3 videos on youtube that gives some explanation on how to use the template.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmzawW-yeMA

Now, remember when it comes to true fire everyone's looks different. I just wanted to get the feel of fire/smoke which is why I used white. If you click on the guy who made that video he also has a great video on how to make the lightning, which is very similar to how I use it. Also keep in mind he does alot more steps in his process than I do. He is doing automotive painting. On the plane, I just did one layer of flames.

That compressor from HF should be enough. As long as you can put out 40 PSI you will be ok.

Really, just look for any motor with similar specs. Like I said, the motor I used is overpowered, so you could defiantly get away with less of a motor.

The pushrods came with the kit.

Good luck!
Aug 16, 2008, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
sneasle,

All those motors would work. What size of battery are you going to be using. I use the 2200mah ABF's from HC. Since I'm using a larger battery I don't care much about weight and I would go with one of the heavier motors you listed, and have crazy vertical. If you are going to be running 1000's to 1300's then go for the lighter motors. Looks like you did a pretty good job of finding some good motors to me.
Aug 16, 2008, 10:06 PM
kalteisen.com
dude, nice!!!

Q
Aug 16, 2008, 10:26 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Just an FYI. If you choose to go with another type of compresser, make sure that it has a water trap hooked up. When trying to airbrush, water in the line and tank is the biggest cause for splattered, splotchy work. THe one on the link has it built in, but if get a 1,2,10-100 gallon compressors, they may not have it built in. Dave
Aug 16, 2008, 10:27 PM
War Eagle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9LIVES1968
Just an FYI. If you choose to go with another type of compresser, make sure that it has a water trap hooked up. When trying to airbrush, water in the line and tank is the biggest cause for splattered, splotchy work. THe one on the link has it built in, but if get a 1,2,10-100 gallon compressors, they may not have it built in. Dave

Very good point.

A water trap and a regulator are your best friends with airbrushes.

Quick Reply