Jul 18, 2008, 03:24 AM
Hello Moto
Thread OP
Discussion

sugar rockets anyone?

how many of you guys use/make sugar rockets?

I never done rocketry but am interested in makeing a few sugar rockets but was wanting to get the word from the horses mouth....

How do they compare to other model rocket fuels and is the a well agreed optimum recipe to make them?

Cheers
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2008, 09:29 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
i have never head of sugar rockets but now i am wondering how to build them too. maybe try searching google.
Jul 21, 2008, 12:05 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
I believe you're talking about "carmel candy". It's made from sugar and salt peter. The formula's got to be on the web someplace. The biggest danger is that you need to melt it and the melting point and ignition temperature aren't that far apart. You need to keep it liquid (if you can call a thich goo, liquid) while you cast it into grains or into a motor casing. I doesn't explode when it ignites, but it does create a lot of smoke and residue. Last time I made some, I was about 15 and it took Norm, Dave and I about 30 minutes of frantic scrubbing to remove the residue from the fire from my mom's kitchen.

I'd stick to commercial motors rather than make my own carmel candy.

- Roger
Jul 21, 2008, 03:35 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Richard Nakka has an entire webpage dedicated to this topic. He know his stuff so he's kind of the head guru in the candy motors world.

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/

Candy motors work fine. Follow Richard's guidelines. It's not hard to do. Don't use your wife's cookware, or she'll get pissed. In my experience, I got about 2/3 the impulse of an equivalent sized AP motor. Be sure to clean out your motor casing within an hour or so of firing the motor. Definitely don't let it set overnight thinking you'll get to it the next day. Your casing will be ruined. Oh, yea, Dextrose always seemed to burn too fast with Bates grains. I liked the sucrose mixtures much better.

good luck
Jul 22, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm All Thumbs

Can't resist

FWIW... it's caramel.
Jul 23, 2008, 08:12 AM
Back behind The Controls
There is an email list of AM/EX rocketeers that work exclusively with KNSU, KNSB and KNDX:

http://rocketeers.com/mailman/listinfo/sugpro

Here is where to start:

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/

...and yes, there is a large project in the works to go to space:

http://sugarshot.org/

KNSU = kno3/Sucrose (table sugar)

KNSB = kno3/Sorbitol (most stable of the 3 in my opinion)

KNDX = kno3/Dextrose (corn sugar)

There is also newer versions, KNXY = kno3/Xylitol and KNER = kno3/Erithritol; info can be found here:

http://www.thefintels.com/aer/propellants.htm

Read first, join the Sugpro list, ask questions...most of all, observe all safety meassures. (period!)

Johnnie
Jul 24, 2008, 06:35 PM
i have finaly leaned how to make big model rocket motors and i am going to make mine out of pvc pipe and cat litter all you have to do is pack down some cat litter about...i forgot how much to pack down but you can find out how much on you tube and you can make rocket fuel by mixing up kno3 and icing sugar on a 6-4 ratio and every thing else you can lean on you tube by searching for stuff like hoe to make a pvc rocket motor and stufflike that
Jul 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
Monboy10, just make sure you learn to do it safely, you don't want to change your nym to Monboy9 [fingers].

Richard
Jul 27, 2008, 09:38 PM
lol i never thought of monboy10 as in ten fingers i thout of monboy10 because my name in montana i am a boy and i thought of that when i was 10 so monboy10 but i never thought that the ten could stand for fingers too
Oct 22, 2015, 04:39 PM
Intermediate Multi

DIY rocket engines

Has anyone tried this? The fellow in the video makes it look easy.

How To Make Sugar Rockets (5 min 54 sec)
Dec 22, 2015, 09:39 PM

Reality of sugar motors!

I have mad plenty of sugar motors. There are a few key things one needs to know before getting started. First off focus on safety. Start small and work your way up. Test them from a safe distance using homemade ignitors. Sugar works the best. Powdered sugar has corn starch in it and that reduces performance. Mix the potasium nitrate with the sugar 65% Kno3 35% sugar by weight. Mix it in a Braun or similar coffee bean grinder. This reduces the size and thoroughly mixes it. Never melt over open flame. I use a deep dish frying pan and a hotplate. Start with a little corn syrup then add the mixture as it liquifies. Do not let it turn brown. This carmelization lowers performance. The finished product should look like white wax. I used paper matches to make homemad igniters. This allowed for safe testing. I made several reloadable casings where I am only replacing an O ring and about 35cents worth of fuel. My motors produced 78 lbs of thrust for 1.2 to 1.4 seconds. I have launched large diameter rockets that are like 10 feet tall with 4 of these motors in a clustered.
Jan 02, 2016, 04:22 PM
Looks like some fun future weekend projects.

Grant Thompson - "The King of Random" DIY rocket series.

How To Make A “Randomizer” Rocket:
How To Build A Rocket (From Scratch) (12 min 52 sec)

How To Make “Screw-Lock” Sugar Rockets:
How To Make "Screw-Lock" Sugar Rockets (9 min 39 sec)

How To Make Plastic Table-Cover Parachutes:
How To Make Plastic Table-Cover Parachutes (6 min 27 sec)

How To Make Fire-Resistant Rocket Wadding (For Pennies):
How To Make Fire-Resistant Rocket Wadding (For Pennies) (5 min 47 sec)

How To Make A Rocket Launching Blast-Pad:
How To Make A Rocket Launching Blast Pad (6 min 26 sec)

How To Make Rocket Igniters (Electric Matches):
How to Make Rocket Igniters (Electric Matches) (4 min 39 sec)

How To Make An N64 Rocket Launch Controller:
How To Make An N64 Rocket Launch Controller (8 min 37 sec)
Dec 31, 2017, 12:12 AM
I've been making 'sugar' propellants for many years using many types of sugar.
If you are just starting off I suggest using sorbitol. Melts at a lower temperature ( 200 F ) vs about 350 F for sucrose and if you don't grind the potassium nitrate into a powder, you can pour the propellant. Here is our latest sugar rocket motor test:
World's largest sugar rocket motor, 2nd test fire for Sugar Shot to Space (1 min 8 sec)
Mar 06, 2018, 11:49 PM
Moderador.
Hi guys, I started in last december building rokets and step by step, first the rocket motor PVC case 5" long, with compact candy fuel (Not caramelized) after some test, I build a rocket and motors smallers, just like ESTES size. Now I am building a biger rocket for 5" motors.

Is a great hobby very diferent from airplanes

Cheers.

Al
Jan 21, 2019, 09:43 AM
Please don’t use pvc, it can shatter if the motor over-pressurizes and catos. Pvc doesn’t show on x-rays either . I second the Naka website, he’s really good.

Quick Reply