Jul 17, 2008, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Spektrum AR500 5 channel full range receiver

Looks like Spektrum is coming out with a new full range 5 channel receiver...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMAR500
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2008, 05:42 PM
Interesting, but are they trying to confuse us? Why not keep it consistant and call it the AR5000? I count 7 rows of pins. I hope there is alittle more to it than, just the one longer antenna. Is that why it only gets two zeros, because its not a real two rx full range rx?

-Kwok
Jul 17, 2008, 07:07 PM
Very interesting, it looks as though Spektrum has taken a page from Futabas method of achieving antenna diversity.
The "longer" antenna is a coaxial feed arrangement with the active antenna element being the last 30mm where the shield has been removed.
A lot simpler arrangement for installation in tight quarters than satellite receivers.
Pete
Jul 17, 2008, 09:26 PM
Inciting Riots
Yet they still want you to cram in those top pin connectors
Jul 17, 2008, 09:35 PM
somewhat akin to th original 6 channel DX6 6000rx (long whisker )

likely developed for those glider fans amongst us.
I used a different approach - but I can see where this may be popular.
anyway you get the same features as the others - Model Match ec., which I really like.
Jul 19, 2008, 09:39 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
so... a five channel that is more expensive than the AR6000? Not sure what the point of that is unless it's really small or light, even then, the pins are on the top so it's not as convenient as a "end-pin" type.

my 2 cents

~irish
Jul 19, 2008, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_lord99
so... a five channel that is more expensive than the AR6000? Not sure what the point of that is unless it's really small or light, even then, the pins are on the top so it's not as convenient as a "end-pin" type.

my 2 cents

~irish
The point is:--it is a DSM2 rx-- and a single uint and is a "full range" type rx-
Jul 19, 2008, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
and a single uint and is a "full range" type rx-
Dick,
You're always so fasst to rub it in arn'tcha
I have been very pleased with the performance of my fasst stuff, but they are utterly clueless as to marketing
Pete
Jul 19, 2008, 08:07 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:

my 2 cents

~irish
For many applications top pins are just as convenient as, or better than, end pins. I have both types of AR6100 and find that each has its advantages.
Jul 20, 2008, 05:02 AM
Guys. by just looking at the Picture..... I guess, this is just a Regular AR6100 single Receiver with just an extention antenna........they just make the Antenna longer so that you can easily mount it outside the fuseledge of the aircraft.

Hope somebody can make a full review of this latest receiver, and see how it actually performed.......compare to the AR6200 or AR7000.

for a peace of mind, I would rather use the AR7000.
Jul 20, 2008, 05:30 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Well, the AR6100 only has one antenna (yes, ith has two ends, but it is ONE antenna ) whereas this reciever has two of them, offering antenna diversity.
Now if they made both antennas the Fasst way, this would actually be the first Spektrum reciever being able to work in a CF fuselage without theoretical problems
But a good first step into the right direction.
Too bad they made the Fasst mistake of not offering end pins.
Jul 20, 2008, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Well, the AR6100 only has one antenna (yes, ith has two ends, but it is ONE antenna ) whereas this reciever has two of them, offering antenna diversity.
Now if they made both antennas the Fasst way, this would actually be the first Spektrum reciever being able to work in a CF fuselage without theoretical problems
But a good first step into the right direction.
Too bad they made the Fasst mistake of not offering end pins.
The end pins -I also prefer -I have a number of both types and as I showed on my small pod n boom model - allows for very compact setup.
I suspect they hid two rx in that little box- won't know tilI get mine
the concept tho is appealing for extremely slender/tight fuselage requirements
Iwould guess-- a really good arangement would be the short antennea -out side lower portion of fuselage - the longout and buried along upper wing panel.
My favorite diversity setup is one antenna on top of model -the other on belly.
Jul 20, 2008, 09:01 AM
Quote:

my 2 cents

~irish
It's full range and it's the least expensive full range RX option available now.

The 6200RX was $70 from toddsmodels and $80 on Horizon's site. So presumable this one is $60 on horizon's site so will $50 at other places. It's $20 less then the current cheapest full range Spektrum RX.

A lot of us fly planes that are only 4 channel or 4 channel with 2 channels for aileron so only need a 5 channel RX. I have a DX7 but have just been buying 6200's since they were cheaper then the 7 channel RX's. If they work and they probably will I will buy these instead next time I need new RX and save the few 6 and 7 channel RX's I have for the rare plane I build that atually needs that many channels.
Jul 20, 2008, 10:13 AM
Inciting Riots
It is very strange that the case looks like it has a cut out for the remote receivers. Probably just the AR6200 case and the same main board for the mock up. Makes me think that this will have a different RF chip in it than the AR6200/AR6100 since it claims two receivers, and I know that there isn't room for a second chip (unless they stack them).
Jul 20, 2008, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
It is very strange that the case looks like it has a cut out for the remote receivers. Probably just the AR6200 case and the same main board for the mock up. Makes me think that this will have a different RF chip in it than the AR6200/AR6100 since it claims two receivers, and I know that there isn't room for a second chip (unless they stack them).
I haven't seen much info released for this rx. Where did you see the claim to having two receivers?

Quick Reply