Wattage F-22 Building Tips / Pictures - RC Groups
Sep 06, 2001, 08:27 PM

Wattage F-22 Building Tips / Pictures

I just ordered my F-22 yesterday, it looks like a fun plane. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128404.htm

Can anybody comment how this plane flies compared to a Zagi 400(x) ?

Also, if anyone has any building tips or pictures of thier plane, please post them.

Thanks,
RCFanatic
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2001, 12:34 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
Check this out...
http://www.geocities.com/kepople/f22

Let me know if you have any questions

kepople@mindspring.com
Sep 07, 2001, 02:08 AM
I haven't flown the Zagi (yeah, I know, I'm the one e-flier on this planet who hasn't) so I can't comment on the differences. However, I've been flying the F22 and having a ball.

This is a sweet flier stock. A couple of tips: get a good hand launch straight ahead, and let it gain some speed before you try to (smoothly and slowly!) pull up. Once it's "on step" you'll notice it's a very stable and smooth bird and it'll climb out just fine. I fly it bone stock with 8x500ARs and 8x600AEs. I haven't been getting great duration, around 5 mins., but a couple of the packs are new. In terms of raw performance it's faster than my X250 but not as quick (nor as twitchy) as my S&B Corsair.
Sep 07, 2001, 03:58 PM
Hey fanatic, you're right near me (Palo Alto)...where do you fly, Rancho San Antonio? Anyway here's what I used:

Stock motor, gearbox, prop
8x500ARs
GP C-20 ESC (I've had problems with Wattage ESCs)
555 Rx
HS-55 servos

Also make sure to do a range check before your first flight (always a good idea). Mine failed until I brought the antenna outside the fuse.
Sep 07, 2001, 05:16 PM

Yup! I go to Rancho a lot, if you know any other good places for electrics in the area let me know.

By the way, here are some aerial shots I took of Rancho with my Partenavia plane.
http://www.members.home.net/kronberg1/rancho.html
Sep 07, 2001, 11:25 PM
I have the wattage mirrage and I try to go there at Rancho on weekends. I'll be there saturday and hope to see you guys fly your f-22, I am thinking of getting one but I want to see it fly first.
Sep 08, 2001, 12:03 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
I dont live anywhere near you guys...too bad (sniff, sniff) I have a dream. Would it not be neat to see 3 F-22 in the air, and try some formation flight. What a pretty sight, we would beat the Military.

I am flying stock motor, HS55, wattage 15a ESC, and 555 rcv. Batts I use the 720 NMih from Eflightpower.com, and when that ones shot, I throw my Zagi 500mah batt in. Fits, flies like a scalded ape, for about 2 minutes.
Still only one flight on the motor Mod, too windy, and my Sportwin still hasnt flown...ARGH!!! windy!

Kirby
Sep 08, 2001, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the pics (kepople) and tips sinewave.

I'm really iching to fly this plane.

What size servos would you recommend ? I use Hitec stuff.. (HS-55, HS-60, HS-81) thx.
Sep 08, 2001, 04:19 AM
Cool pics fanatic, I fly most of my electrics at Rancho S.A. and my sailplanes at Coyote Hills Regional Park. Don't tell anyone but I test-fly my EDFs at the slope there...always nice to have some slope lift insurance!
Sep 08, 2001, 03:25 PM
Well here is the souped up version. I originaly started with a Kotronic brushless drive 150 with 8 cells...pretty cool, but not cool enough to satisfy the need for speed. So a friend of mine hands me three differant battery packs and suggests making a 10 and an 11 cell pack out of them. I did just that and flew her today..Well let me say that the differance between 8 and 10 cells is like night and day. Fabulous vertical...awsome top end speed...and just a great all around fun jet thats no "slouch". If you don't mind droping $200 bucks for the motor and speed controll, (you will have for a long time to use in any speed 400 type ship in the future) and don't mind soldering up a couple of battery packs, you will have an F-22 that will kick some butt.