Aug 04, 2008, 12:53 PM
My Quads Better Than Your Quad
Barrett, no wonder you can't afford gas to the flying field. Your frame shop always has model airplanes in it, looks good.

douge
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2008, 08:54 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Thanks Douge and everyone else!

Today she had her first 'flight'. Hand launches to test her CG. I have always had a hard time throwing an airplane through the air to test its cg, so I found the perfect solution- Thick brush. With a hearty hand toss, I launched her into some brush and I am pleased to report she cruised right into the grass with a slight decline of no more than 5-10 degrees at the end. No tail dropping and no nosedives

Rick- Pay attention to the picture of my elevator modification. I have decided to extend the surface area of the elevators because the original elevators just didn't seem to have enough area when I gave them full throw. You might consider adding that to your L-1011.

I plugged her into my RX and tested the motor again. At full speed, that plane wanted to take off WITH OR WITHOUT ME

Safe to say underpowered will not be one of her problems.

Barrett
Aug 04, 2008, 09:25 PM
Insta: Check5_Av8r
Cool!
Aug 04, 2008, 09:26 PM
Barrett,

Nice. Whats your estimated time of completion? Sounds like you have another winner on your hands.

Victor
Aug 04, 2008, 09:28 PM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
Do I see a tripple maiden this weekend? My B-25, your L1011, and Ricks?
Aug 04, 2008, 09:46 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirbech
Do I see a tripple maiden this weekend? My B-25, your L1011, and Ricks?
More like a double maiden. I didn't get the feeling that Rick's would be done within the week. He's going twin (1 motor on each wing nacelle).

My L-1011 should definately be ready by Saturday on the other hand. After flying my P-40 into the light pole, I have no trouble resisting the urge to fly in a local baseball park LOL. I'll wait for the wide open spaces of the rodeo grounds.

Barrett
Aug 04, 2008, 10:13 PM
Suspended Account
I have a remaiden. Does that count.
Aug 04, 2008, 11:31 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun
I have a remaiden. Does that count.
Yeah, if you don't mind being overshadowed by John's B-25

This is starting to feel like a movie premier competition. "No we don't wanna release our movie this weekend because that will compete with the new Batman movie" LOL
Aug 05, 2008, 09:45 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
Yeah, if you don't mind being overshadowed by John's B-25

This is starting to feel like a movie premier competition. "No we don't wanna release our movie this weekend because that will compete with the new Batman movie" LOL
A big foamy is Compensating for something little right John?
Aug 05, 2008, 08:03 PM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
LOL............I don't think so.........It is not like a 4X4 ........I just like pushing the limits.....

John
Aug 06, 2008, 11:25 PM
Suspended Account
Snooze.
Last edited by fly4fun; Aug 06, 2008 at 11:32 PM.
Aug 07, 2008, 06:49 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Yes, I'm guilty of detailing another airplane before I even know if it's gonna fly

At least I tested the CG first. See you all Saturday!

Barrett
Aug 07, 2008, 07:33 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
Yes, I'm guilty of detailing another airplane before I even know if it's gonna fly

At least I tested the CG first. See you all Saturday!

Barrett

I have a problem with flying ugly airplanes. Detail all you want.

Looks good Barrett.
Aug 09, 2008, 03:35 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP

L1011 flies!

Flight analysis is in on the Maiden flights of the L-1011. Thanks to Rick and Pat for the hand launches. I wanted to underhand toss it after the first flight, but the look on Rick's face discouraged me . Seriously, I think it would be alright, but Pat was happy to volunteer. Everybody wants a piece of my awesome plane LOL.

Oh MAN was I nervous. It's no exaggeration to say that I was literally shaking in my shoes during the first flight. I don't know why I was so nervous, except possibly that I really REALLY didn't want this thing to crash. I had no idea how afraid I was The only parts of me that weren't shaking were my thumbs. Funny how that works out.

Anyway, the plane got trimmed out (thanks Rick, my onboard flight engineer), and she is actually a REALLY stable flyer! I like her performance in the turn better than my P-40 actually. The P-40 has ALOT of dihedral which is great for level flight, but not much else. The L1011 with much less dihedral is much more stable. She rolls more smoothly (yes, I said rolls). Couldn't quite complete a loop without rolling out of it, but you won't hear me complain.

I was really pleased with the way she looks in the air. Those big ANA letters on the tail are very easy to read.

Before the flights, I added a AA battery to the root of the right wing engine nacelle to correct for the torque and weight of the battery on the left side of the nose. It may have helped alot, but when she slows down, you start to feel that counterweight.

Landing was a bit nerve wracking because of the tail skid that I wasn't sure was gonna hold well, and the engine nacelles which conceivably rip loose on a gravel landing. I did have a problem on the last landing when the aileron servo (under the wing) ripped out, but it's an easy fix. She'll be back in the air next Saturday

Well Rick, now it's your turn!

Barrett
Aug 09, 2008, 03:44 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Did the L fall off the tail?
Yup, after seeing you shake I think I will have to get mine geared up. Ain't had an adrenaline rush for many months.
Thanks for the plane, Yours sure is nice eye candy.

Rick

Quick Reply