Jul 14, 2008, 12:53 PM
Against it with you
Thread OP
Discussion

Floor by floor demolition - very cool

It's called daruma-otoshi apparently, and looks very weird indeed when you show it in time-lapse.

Daruma-otoshi skyscraper demolition (0 min 35 sec)
Jul 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
Random Pic #23982
That was insane.

Hat's off to engineers. The often unsung heroes of our age. Usually we only talk about them when they make their very rare errors. But this is an example of what they do less dramatically every day.
Jul 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
Against it with you
Thread OP
It looks bizarre doesn't it? Excellent solution to demolition in crowded cities.
Jul 14, 2008, 05:39 PM
Restful User
OK, I give up. How does it work? It looks as though the reddish columns sink into the ground, but beyond that I'm baffled.

I googled "daruma-otoshi", and it is some sort of children's game where you knock blocks out from a stack of blocks.

--Bill
Jul 14, 2008, 05:42 PM
Free my speech
It is a very old technique of engineering used for more than hundreds if not a couple thousands of years with some modern updates, technology etc...
Jul 14, 2008, 05:43 PM
Against it with you
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
OK, I give up. How does it work? It looks as though the reddish columns sink into the ground, but beyond that I'm baffled.

I googled "daruma-otoshi", and it is some sort of children's game where you knock blocks out from a stack of blocks.

--Bill
There's an explanation here: http://translate.google.com/translat...804/22a1-j.htm
Jul 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Suspended Account
Ah, now we know how they brought down the twin towers so straight! Amazing how fast those guys are... but the ones in the video must be new, as they are not as fast as the ones that did the towers.

Jul 14, 2008, 06:21 PM
It took me two tries before I got it.

They gut bottom floor, then replace each supporting column with something that can be lowered into the ground. Lower it down. Repeat.

Neato.
Jul 14, 2008, 07:08 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
That is the coolest thing I've seen this week!
Jul 14, 2008, 08:29 PM
Restful User
Ah, I see. Those "reddish columns" are hydraulic jacks and support the building while that floor is being demolished (dismantled?).

The translation was quaint. Reminds me of a 1960's Honda motorcycle owner's manual...

--Bill
Jul 14, 2008, 08:47 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Or even later. My 1979 Honda Civic discussed the 'tootle' of the horn.
Jul 14, 2008, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
That was insane.

Hat's off to engineers. The often unsung heroes of our age. Usually we only talk about them when they make their very rare errors. But this is an example of what they do less dramatically every day.
I guess you don't know the engineers at the place where I work or any of the US car manufacturers either.
Jul 14, 2008, 09:44 PM
Closed Account
Over in the Ukraine they do it slightly differently....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wcooBGQxK3g
Jul 14, 2008, 10:36 PM
Random Pic #23982
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukkus
I guess you don't know the engineers at the place where I work or any of the US car manufacturers either.
I have found most US cars to be well engineered in the past 20 years.

Quick Reply