Aug 02, 2008, 10:12 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Well, we has a fun first day on the field, right up to the point were the storm hit.

But we got in 3 2/3 rounds.

Sunday's weather is predicted to be clear and partly cloudy with no rain expected.

And if anyone is interested in a Futaba 9C, I will have one for sale at the field. See ya in the morning.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2008, 09:05 PM
Looking for lift...
Frank,

Thanks for another great DLG contest on Long Island, each year it get's bigger and better. And thank you to all of your LISF club mates that helped with running the contest. Thank you all for your hospitality, and letting us use your field for the weekend.

It was great visiting with old friends and meeeting new ones. Dennis thanks for letting me borrow your charge jack. Mike thanks for sharing your Bubble Dancer and Phil thanks for the kit. And thank you to all that timed for me and those that offered your advice on how to improve my flying. Now if I could only follow that advice a bit more often. I'm getting better at least I didn't almost destroy my plane on Saturday again. Glad I broke that habit!

Until we meet again, good lift to all,
Doug
Aug 03, 2008, 11:40 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Nick and I just got home an hour ago...can you believe he stayed up the whole trip? What a good traveler he is.

Frank put on a great contest and things rolled right along on Sunday. On Saturday, things blew right along. We had a microburst that took down at least three awnings in a matter of seconds. It followed a burst of frigid air.

As always, Nick and I had a great time, and we are looking forward to next year.

Loads of thanks to the LISF crew. Your hospitality knows no measure.
Aug 04, 2008, 07:17 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Guys,

Thank you all for coming out and having some fun with the LISF crew. It was a memorable contest.

I would like to thank everyone in the LISF for helping out and making this contest come together. Without your help, it would be impossible for it to be done, much less as smoothly as it did go. I especially want to thank Rudi for use of his laptop and taking photos, Dennis, Dale, Peter, Frank S., Dan, Phil and Ed for bringing food, helping with setup and cleanup, and the overall running of the event.

Thank you to everyone who braved the weather reports and came anyway. Sat. was a bit tuff with some rain, a microburst, sudden heavy winds and lightning. Thank God no major damage occurred but some planes and tents did take some damage. We finished 3 2/3 rounds and finished the final group on Sunday morning.

Sun was challenging with winds we were estimating in the 8-13mph. Not too windy to fly but it was comeing out of the WNW so the 1800' width of field came into play. The tall southern treeline sometimes gave slope lift and helped to kick off some thermals. Some rounds it was not easy to fulfill the times and the lift would just disappear after a minute or two. There were guys running through the ~800ft of tall grass to get their planes when they would try to return from a run to the Eastern treeline. We ran a total of 8 rounds and was able to test the spreadsheet with the F3K round dropping software. Luckily I only knew of one pilot to go into the trees and that one was adjacent to the field. We quickly ran to fet our pole and got him down, unfortunately just over the time limit to get back to fly his last All up last down. Sorry Dimitri.

The highlight of Sunday was when Craig Killer came running out with a THONG on (over his shorts). It was histerical. Way to go Craig! someone has to post pictures of that!

Attached are the scores (zipped files contain the actual scoring software and the jpg have the final normalized results)

Thank you to one and all for your support and I will be looking forward to seeing you all at the next ESL contest.

Sincerely,
LISF and especially Frank N.
Last edited by Fly2High; Aug 04, 2008 at 08:20 AM.
Aug 04, 2008, 08:09 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
What a great time I had this weekend. Frank, you are the best!

We even had some hi-start fun after the contest was over. I got home around 6pm and I only live a mile from the field.

I was SO tired when I got home I could barely move. These little planes take a lot of work. The big planes are so much easier. Hook 'em up and they fly forever.

Guess I am going to have to go on a fitness regimine if I want to play with the big boys chucking the little planes.

What a great weekend!
Aug 04, 2008, 08:22 AM
LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
I, as well, want to send my thanks to Frank and the rest of the LISF gang for running this contest. What a great time I had and as always it is great to see the guys I have met over the last two events and meet some new people.

Ed totally hear you on the pain level. Having not tossed my plane in 8 months and then spending two days tossing her around I am in pain.

Thanks again all and see you next year.

Cheers,
Jim
Aug 04, 2008, 08:32 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Now I know why the majority of winners were thin guys!!

They are the only ones who have the stamina to hold it together.

We need a pudgy guy event!!

Congrats to all the winners.
1st->3rd
Expert
Sat: Mark, Shane and Jose
Sun: Mark, Shane and Doug

Sportsmen:
Sat: Dan, Craig and Ken
Sun: Craig, Dan and Phil A.

Grand Champion: Mark

I would like to also congratulate our local up and comer, Dan Siegel. Man, you have to marvel at how much he has come in SOOOO short a time. Phenomenal flying, and all around great guy. Congrats on your 1st and 2nd place wins!

Guys in expert, we ran mixed flight groups and Dan took 5 rounds( 5 X 1000 point between the two days) and took 3rd overall. Look out for this guy! He is stealthly. You won't even hear him coming and them WHAM, he beats you.

Awesome job to all the pilots. It was a challenging and fun event!!!

Frank
Last edited by Fly2High; Aug 04, 2008 at 10:09 AM.
Aug 04, 2008, 08:49 AM
Plane dodger
Frank, what an awsome contest. The flying was tight and the conditions were challenging at times. Had a great time there with all good friends and fellow DLGers. Hope you all enjoyed my little stunt to pay tribute to Frank for putting on a great contest . Dr. Dan...awsome flying, and you really inspired me to put on my game face on Sunday after watching you fly saturday.Great job Dan! However watch out guys the CT crew is stepping up our game!

Killer, aka Craig
Aug 04, 2008, 08:51 AM
Live for speed
Frank -

Thanks again to you and the LISF folks for a nice contest. I had a fun time, good to see everyone again. Yeah, I bailed for Sat but I stayed dry

FYI, I am in Expert class. Got bumped per ESL advancement rules.

- Felix
Aug 04, 2008, 09:46 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
You're right. I screwed up again on sunday's awards. I am a putz. I had you listed as an expert in all the paperwork except the spreadsheet doesn't have a place to include that data.

I need to modify the spreadsheet to include classes to be listed.

I am sorry.

I guess that puts Phil Abatelli into 3rd place Sportsman

See if Phil wants to trade or something. I screwed up last year because the spreadsheet didn't have the class listed on the prelim tab. If you go to CASA or So. Jersey we can deal with it then.

You did place nicely though!

Frank
Last edited by Fly2High; Aug 04, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Aug 04, 2008, 10:00 AM
Live for speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
you should have said something!!
I just did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
I guess that puts Phil Abatelli into 2nd place Sportsman
and..... Look at this, ME into 3rd!!!! yah!

I don't care about the mugs. See if Phil wants to trade or something. I screwed up last year because the spreadsheet didn't have the class listed on the prelim tab. If you go to CASA or So. Jersey we can deal with it then.

Frank
AFAIK that still doesn't change Sunday's Sportsman awards. 1st Killer, 2nd Dan, 3rd Phil.
Sorry dood, you and I still numbah 4!
Aug 04, 2008, 10:07 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Yeah,

It was Phil Abatelli that was 3rd.

Wait a minute I did do the awards correctly. Phil DID get a mug! (I think)

I am so confused. I only reported incorrectly.

I got to get some sleep.

I am sooo dead after this weekend. I ddin't even have the strength to play with Maria and went to bed real early.

I am sooo dead.

forget I said anything and disrecard anything I say until I have healed

Frank
Aug 04, 2008, 10:11 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Now its correct.

Nevertheless, the scoresheets are correct, as far as what was turned in. The only way something would be amiss is if they turned in sheets and didn't list the total in the last cell on the scoring sheets.

Okay, I am better now.
Aug 04, 2008, 10:17 AM
Live for speed
Frank -

Yeah, the awards were correct is what I intended to say. Only what you reported in your post was off. I think it was the shock of seeing the Thongmeister that fogged your memory.

- Felix
Aug 04, 2008, 10:20 AM
Frank,
If i placed 3rd & didn't get a mug don't you think you would have heard from me?

Yes i did get one.

Quick Reply