Jul 14, 2008, 11:26 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Discussion

Come join us at the L.I. Hand Launch Classic Aug 2 + 3

Guys,

I had so much fun at CRRC that many of us want it to continue...

And it can.

Come join the Long Island Silent Fliers for our annual ESL hand launch contest, the Long Island Hand Launch Classic on August 2nd and 3rd.

We will be following F3K rules as closely as possible. We are even working on modifying the scoring spreadsheet to accommodate dropping rounds according to F3K rules.

Each day will be a separate contest with rounds not starting after 4PM on Sat. and 2PM on Sunday (weather permitting).

For lunch we offer Italian and american heros, potato and macaroni salads and beverages available all day.

We are also talking about repeating having a pizza dinner on Saturday night.

We can and will accommodate any special meal requests you may have.

We are located on the beautiful Stillwell Nature Preserve in Syosset, NY (10 acres of grass with 100 acres surrounding it). It is located behind the soccer fields on Southwoods rd, across from Syosset High School.

With the dropped rounds, I am planning a few NEW tasks to really stir up the competitive juices!

Come and have a blast!!!

www.lisf.org
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...tail.asp?cid=6

http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...list.asp?cid=6

Frank Nisita
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 14, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2008, 01:44 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
There was some discussion about new tasks.

I was going to save them closer to the contest date but I would rather get some feedback on them.

1. Modified Poker - Poker is an official F3K task but I think many hate it because there is too much risk in it. I was willing to modify it so that a pilot can opt to 'fold' on a call. this would allow them to make a new call but would get a zero for the dropped call. this would help minimize the losses due to a bad call or a major change in conditions.

2. increasing flights - 3 flights count 10 min window - I was thinking of requiring that each flight be longer than the prior flight. If conditions are easy I was going to require maxes to be 2min , 3min and 4 min maxes but I was leaning towards a flat 3min max (2:58, 2:59, 3:00 min max). This is still up in the air.

If the popular consensus would like me to stick to the regular F3K tasks, I have no problem. I was only trying to bring some new F3K tasks and help set LISF apart from the other contests.

I will also be following the F3K rules as closely as possible. Attached are the rules

Please feel free to offer suggestions, opinions and comments. I openly accept them all. Only by your feedback can LISF's contest be successful

Thank you and I hope to see you at the Classic!

Sincerely,
Frank N.
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 16, 2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: can't type
Jul 15, 2008, 08:27 PM
Live for speed
For some reason, I thought the LISF contest was in mid-August. I'm bummed cuz I was looking forward to this contest but I will be in Muncie at the Nats.

- Felix
Jul 15, 2008, 08:52 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Frank,

I am really looking forward to the DLG contest in August. Me and my DLG have been practicing. And I see you have some great top talent pilots registered.

I know there will be Expert and Sportsman Classes. Will there be Novice too?

I had a great time at the last one I attended and I know this one will be better.

For anyone who will be in the area and needs to find a place to stay, the ESL room and ride share forum has info that may be helpful.
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=318

If you go to Mapquest and look up 16 Southwoods Road, Syosset, NY, that will take you right to the entrance of Stillwell Woods Park. That is where the contest is held.
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 15, 2008 at 09:09 PM.
Jul 16, 2008, 07:54 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Actually Ed, we fly in the back field behind the tree line so I attached the following to help clarify this for those whose this is their first time coming to our field.

Actually there is no glider flying allowed on the ball fields and only on the back field on the preserve.

We're in the back field behind the soccer and baseball fields behind the trees down on the dirt path. this opens up into a large grass field. This is where we fly.

Thanks Ed for posting the pictures.

There will be a novices attending.

Frank
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 16, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
Jul 16, 2008, 08:05 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Ed,
LISF contests are like holiday family dinners. Everyone is welcome to come and enjoy in the festivities
Expert, Sportsman, Novice, spectators and volunteers are all welcome.

Come partake in the contest and have some fun!
Jul 16, 2008, 08:50 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
It was asked if someone could bring used planes to sell to the attendees and that will be no problem. I am sure the LISF guys would love to see them and make offers. There are plenty of guys on the hunt for a used plane to get into this sport!

Guys, bring cash for some sweet deals!

Also, Jose and Shane will be there so here is an opportunity to place orders with them for their planes (Apogee series and the Falken) (subject to availability and production/shipping delays) Both great examples of top notch builders.

Take advantage and place some orders too.

Frank
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 16, 2008 at 09:12 AM.
Jul 16, 2008, 02:59 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Tell me what you think.
I know when I entered my first contest I was so nervous. i was flying a javelin plane in a DLG contest and TWICE knocked my own hat off!

I was thinking of having a separate group just for novices so they will not feel inundated with the sportsmen and experts flying around them. This way the experts and sportsmen can help out the novices and offer advice and suggestions. It would be like a full day of education for them. I wish it was that way for me. Who needs a one hour clinic. Private instruction for a full contest day is the best!!

What do you think? I open the question to all; Expert, sportsman and novice alike.

I think the novices will get the most out of it this way.

Frank
Jul 16, 2008, 03:41 PM
Dudes

I truely regret that I'm not in better shape to travel this summer because this is one great little contest. Good people and good times. Really makes me mad that I won't get to play with little Maria some more! Frank, I hope you got her her own flying pig:-) There is also a great little airport resturaunt that frank can give you the details about. Nothing like dining with good friends overlooking the runway with a P47, Corsair and I believe a P40 right outside the window. Sorry I can't make it Frank. For the novices there is a new section on the Polecat web site called Handlaunch University with the complete video of Bruces seminar from friday at Polecat. There is a lot of good info in there.
Jul 16, 2008, 05:34 PM
Denny,

We are all hopeful that you will reach full recovery soon so we can see you at the contests and so you can keep those great Polecat planes coming out the door. I love my XP5 and I love my Thermal Dancer.

Take your vitamins. We need you!

Ed
Jul 17, 2008, 06:57 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymaize
... Frank, I hope you got her her own flying pig:-) ....
Actually that's what my wife calls me, a flying pig !

Denny as always you are sorely missed. More importantly, get healed up. I want to see you flying DLG again!! I am hopeful it will be real soon.

Best of health

Frank
Jul 17, 2008, 08:51 AM
Forward looking forecast for this contest is perfect weather, mild breezes, and tons of lift. Novice flyers will be maxing out their scores and experts will be feeling the pressure from below.

Having consulted the fortune teller, I learned that many new friends will be made, many great lessons will be learned about flying.

No one will end up in the trees, except Frank, and everyone will go home with working airplanes.

Your fantasy may vary but this is my day dream so I get to control it.

Miss this one and miss out on a great time.
Jul 17, 2008, 10:17 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
Oh yeah we need to make a rule that Dan has to circle to the right, not to the left!
This way we won't rub again! Or is it that I hit you or you hit me?

Rubbin is racing, uh, competing.

I wonder if the CD can make this a rule, Hmmmmmm

Frank
Jul 18, 2008, 11:22 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
OK guys here's the thought on those new tasks.

I will list them in the schedule BUT at the pilot's meeting we will decide if we are flying them and if not what we will swap in for them.

I want the contestants to have fun and do the tasks that they feel good about.

Hope to see you at the contest!

Frank
Jul 20, 2008, 05:34 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Thread OP
As another littel tidbit of information, the club decided to do away with the frames for Sportsman and Experts (or as some affectionately call them 'mixing boards') and replace them with etched mugs.

We found a company that did a great job of etching the mugs and at a very reasonable price.

For those interested we used www.glass-decorators.com
Very fast service, guaranteeed no damage and within 10-14 business days we went from image and text to etch to mugs at my door.

Awesome bunch of guys.

I am sure the Sportsman and Experts will like them

Frank

Quick Reply