This thread is privately moderated by darmar, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 14, 2008, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Mig 21 build

Few pictures of my Mig-21bis.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t=mig+21+build
Last edited by darmar; Feb 02, 2010 at 12:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2008, 08:28 PM
Darmar,

Your CG calculation, using the wing root, should actually extend to the aircrafts' centerline.

Otherwise, AWESOME build!
Jul 15, 2008, 07:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox
Darmar,

Your CG calculation, using the wing root, should actually extend to the aircrafts' centerline.

Otherwise, AWESOME build!
Thanks Kevin. I knew i missed something and I've seen it and done it before.
Do you think 24% of MAC is about right?

darmar
Jul 15, 2008, 11:10 PM
Supersonic hover
Those vacformed fillets are too cool Darmar! So many other nice touches too, can't wait to see the finished product.

-Matt
Jul 16, 2008, 06:32 PM
don't miss with my sky
m still beginner but ur project looks great congratulation ,actually i want to do exactly as u did but i don't have the money or the know how tell now, i love the Mig21
cant wait for video
Samy
Jul 16, 2008, 09:20 PM
Suspended Account
Darmar it rocks!!!!!! i love it man. And you know how crazy I am for russian stuff. LOL!!
Joe
Jul 18, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
thanks guys.

samymmk, I don't have much money either, CC is still working.
Aug 05, 2008, 01:17 PM
Tarot 550/600 & OMPHobby UK
Great project!. The Mig 21 is one of my all time favourites. I've designed and built a freeflight Mig 21 powered by Rapier rocket motors that's actually been kitted by Aerographics in the UK. It flies great. The CG came out at 45% root chord. For RC a more rearward CG may be possible but 45% root chord is a safe starting point.

The plans and some photos are available here: http://www.ffscale.co.uk/plans9.htm

An updated version of the plan with flight tested CG marked is here: http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11...20%28A3%29.pdf

Good luck with yours.

Steve
Last edited by Smoggie; Aug 05, 2008 at 02:07 PM.
Aug 07, 2008, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Steve. Your micro sized model is amazing.
I made some progres today and will post pictures of painted and detailed model.
Looks great so far.
Next move is installing servos, esc and rx, easy task.
Aug 10, 2008, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
added more pictures in the first post.
Maiden is closing up
Aug 12, 2008, 06:24 PM
Fly, crash, fix, repeat
Great work one of my fav's of all time mig21 fishbed. i am really thrilled to see one at last. again you did a great job on posting a thread.
Aug 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
don't miss with my sky
I saw the last pictures and I can finally say we have one mighty Mig 21 all weather fighter again great plane great work . what camouflage is that ? I think it is the original Soviet one [many countries use it with out change ]
have a good flights
Samy
Aug 14, 2008, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by samymmk
I saw the last pictures and I can finally say we have one mighty Mig 21 all weather fighter again great plane great work . what camouflage is that ? I think it is the original Soviet one [many countries use it with out change ]
have a good flights
Samy
Thanks Samy

Camo I used is made up. I started with original grey and it looked too plain so added some light tones to it just for heck of it.
I got it ready, just waiting to grab some free time and head to the field.
Last edited by darmar; Aug 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM.
Sep 07, 2008, 11:43 PM
Thread OP
As of today this plane is a keeper.
Maiden went great, PERFECT. Launched it myself, maybe 15 deg nose up and fast like a javelin. Needed some trimming as it was really sensitive to input, landed it, reduced elevator travel a bit and adjusted sensitivity around center too. CG works out to 25% of mac, flies fine like that and I won't touch it anymore(well just did it).Speed was around 65 MPH on 3s and I will stay with current setup as I fly at local soccer field and it gets away fast plus I had hard time turning at maiden as trows were trough the roof. 4s setup will rock, probably not fast as speed junkies like it but faster that 65 for sure.
Sorry no pictures or video yet.
Greatest thing off all I did not crash as I was skeptic because of long ducting and small wing area.
But also fan sounds strange in that long ducting, not loud at all like they are usually, plus no foam resonance as i used silicone to mount the fan inside.

darmar
EDIT:
It turnes out mig21 cg works in large range from 24% of MAC to 28%.
That would be equivalent of 44% to 50% of wing chord root.
Last edited by darmar; Sep 25, 2008 at 05:37 PM.
Sep 15, 2008, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
If anyone is interested in a kit let me know please. Got nothing available now but if 10 or more people is interested in a kit I can run small batch and have it available in one week.

Quick Reply