Jan 09, 2012, 02:34 PM
Around $1900 for the 3.5.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
Craig B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH
Around $1900 for the 3.5.
wow, without paint, the price is higher... there must be some fairly substantial construction differences.. or i guess the cost of composite raw material continues to go up..
Jan 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249
Okay, the cat is out of the bag...
So how much does kitty weigh?

Chris B.
Jan 10, 2012, 01:13 AM
I think Bob told me it's in the low 60's, very low. Also he mentioned that the vertical stab construction may be more typical in the production models, i.e carbon all the way up.

Either way I can't freaking wait to get mine! This may be my new hand launch glider.
Jan 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
Fly R/C writer
Hi Chris,

The kitty you have seen in the photos weighs in at a reported weight of 61-oz. I do not know what radio equipment was used in the model, so I cannot comment on what weight savings might be contributed to the radio gear. But I will tell you that when I picked it up the first time, I thought it was empty and only assembled to show off.
Jan 10, 2012, 11:00 AM
RV7guy

Doesn't matter:))

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249
Hi Chris,

The kitty you have seen in the photos weighs in at a reported weight of 61-oz. I do not know what radio equipment was used in the model, so I cannot comment on what weight savings might be contributed to the radio gear. But I will tell you that when I picked it up the first time, I thought it was empty and only assembled to show off.
It won't really matter when Dr. Death clears the lanes on each side of him. Sorry Mike, had the shot, had to take it!!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Jan 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
Bro
Bro

Xplorer II

Howdy,

Well the long awaited Xplorer II's have made it to the USA. Actually a couple of months ago..
We have been "testing" these models here, and are convinced these are what they are all cracked up to be from the Euro reports! Stronger, lighter as technology advances forward. These models have been "tested" in Europe for over a year now, and our friends at NAN are ready to release the model for commercial production.
Although the models looks very similar to its predecessor, it is far from that with a reworked wing section that gives this model even greater legs that are hard to believe when you see how it will run. AND my 3.8 with 1263 sq.in has an AUW of 61oz!
But, at this weight, is capable of any tow you can deliver. We have pretty much tried everything, and the only problem is the pucker factor from the rocket like launches this model delivers.

There are basically 2 layups available....
A naked Spread Tow version that is like this model with a 2.4 nose that will have an AUW of about 1732g in a 3.8, and about 1600g in the 3.5. The cost of this will be about $300 more than the existing X Spread tow. The tails are CNC and bagged, the large stab and joiner is 32gr! About 1/2 that of the regular large stab that is already one of the lightest out there. The increase in cost is due to the fact that the fuse, and tails take 2x the amount of labor to produce, and the materials used are more expensive. These models will be harder to get in the first 1/2 of 2012 as our US team members, and SUSA sponsored pilots will be getting the first models as they arrive.
AND
The 2nd version will be a layup that is similar to the existing Spread Tow Xplorer with a glass/kevlar fuse, and molded tail. This model will be about $100 more that the existing Xplorers in cost, and will be an excellent all round model, just like the Spread Tow Xplorers we have now are. This I believe will be the models will be the most popular for most.

All things put aside the original Xplorer as it is still remains an excellent model. It has won many, many comps world wide and continues to be one of the top models on the planet. I am sure if you do a count at most any major comp in the USA you will quickly realize that the Xplorer is the most popular model out there. Why? It wins! Is easy to fly, and is a serious landing machine! The best part still remains, you can get them in a reasonable amount of time. In addition to that we have parts available, and LOTS of them. As model prices seem to continue to sky rocket, we have been able to make the Xplorer the best bang for buck/value in the marketplace.

I hope to see some of these new X II's here in the USA in numbers by the end of the first quarter.

You need more info? Contact me directly;
bob@SoaringUSA.com

And although this is not the "correct" thread, look for a couple more MAJOR releases on F3J models in the near future. However, if I talk about these now, they will have to kill me!

Happy New Year!
Bob Breaux
Latest blog entry: 2015
Jan 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Team Hello Kitty
So it sounds like 3.8 is the new 4.0? Hmmm...
Jan 10, 2012, 02:49 PM
Stable genius
So does the advent of naked carbon mean that NAN is post-curing the layup? If so, do they post-cure painted planes as well and at what temperature?
Jan 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
Detail Freak
What makes you think that they haven't been post curing the parts?
Jan 10, 2012, 03:28 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79
I think Bob told me it's in the low 60's, very low. Also he mentioned that the vertical stab construction may be more typical in the production models, i.e carbon all the way up.
That caught my eye when I read it because I just bought a 4-meter Xplorer from a seller here on RCGroups and I'm in the process of setting it up. I was worried because I've already installed a Spektrum satellite receiver in the rudder post, and if the vertical stab was carbon all the way up then that would have meant that it wouldn't have worked very well. I didn't see any carbon in there when I did the installation, but after reading your post I decided to check to make sure.

I have track lights in my living room ceiling, so I held my fuse up close to one of the lights and took a picture. In it, you can see where the carbon stops. Fortunately for me it doesn't go "all the way up", or at least it doesn't in my plane. You can also see where I installed the Spektrum satellite receiver. It's well clear of the carbon and ought to work well.
Latest blog entry: Shepard Tone Vario Update
Jan 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Ricky Windsock
That's not a satellite......... That's a planet Pluto Rx
When it comes to setting up 2.4 there is nothing like putting ones mind at rest. That should do it.
Looking forward to hearing how you feel your new acquisition compares with the Shadows you've been flying.
Gordon
Jan 10, 2012, 04:11 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Darn! It was supposed to be a surprise at the next contest.
Latest blog entry: Shepard Tone Vario Update
Jan 10, 2012, 06:03 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Friends dont let friends use satellite rx's...

Come to the light Mike!

QUOTE=Miami Mike;20381779]That caught my eye when I read it because I just bought a 4-meter Xplorer from a seller here on RCGroups and I'm in the process of setting it up. I was worried because I've already installed a Spektrum satellite receiver in the rudder post, and if the vertical stab was carbon all the way up then that would have meant that it wouldn't have worked very well. I didn't see any carbon in there when I did the installation, but after reading your post I decided to check to make sure.

I have track lights in my living room ceiling, so I held my fuse up close to one of the lights and took a picture. In it, you can see where the carbon stops. Fortunately for me it doesn't go "all the way up", or at least it doesn't in my plane. You can also see where I installed the Spektrum satellite receiver. It's well clear of the carbon and ought to work well.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply