This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 13, 2008, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Another rough day.

Hey guys, just to put a little reality into what we do here, I'd like to briefly tell you about just one part of what we do some days.

I spent the day on QRF (Quick Reaction Force) recently. We got launched early in the morning to go pick up 9 "Heros". If you are not sure what that means, well, its not good. I can tell you this, seeing hundreds of soldiers standing in rows saluting as they bring them to the aircraft is an emotional deal.

Its not the first time I have done these missions, but something about it always makes you sad but proud at the same time. The soldiers out here give it thier all every day, for themselves, eachother, the rest of us in the military and all of you back home. I didnt know any of them personally, but I have nothing but respect and admiration for thier dedication. So, take a minute, think about them and their families and say a prayer for them all. They truely are heros to me.

Laine.
Last edited by lmopar69; Jul 13, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2008, 04:01 PM
Retired USAF
Laine, you're absolutely right...I've done way too many of those, whether you call them "Patriot details" or "Fallen Hero details".

edit: I had some more comments typed out but I think I'll just leave it at that--Those who have been there know the emotion of an event like that.

Stay safe over there!
Jul 13, 2008, 07:02 PM
Afghanistan is now getting all the media coverage that Iraq used to get. You always seem to draw the attention.
Jul 13, 2008, 07:48 PM
RIP Bryce Russell Love U!
I know you had a rough day and that you always do on days like this. But I am proud of you! As many times as you have been deployed and as many times as you have had to bring the heros home and as many times as you have had to hand the flag over to the family, you still find it in yourself to keep doing it and loving your job. I know you don't love all of your job, but I do know you love your job. We are all very proud and all your brothers and sisters in the military and all that you do for all of us!

Just remember how much you are loved and in a week the kids and I will shower you in hugs and kisses!
Jul 13, 2008, 08:01 PM

Thank you

Thank you all for your service to our country. EVERY job is important in the military and we appreciate all of you.
I wish the media would tell you about all of us who are so grateful to you. I wish I could tell each person how much they are appreciated.

Sincerely,
LannyG
Jul 14, 2008, 09:48 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Laine, all I can say is that I understand. The raw emotions you feel when on Hero detail are some of the most powerful I have ever known...and the most conflicting as well.

I pray for you guys every day. Stay safe and keep eyes moving.

Tim
AG4RZ
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Jul 14, 2008, 11:38 AM
EPP Addict
Thanks for sharing that, Laine. My brother is over there again too - you guys are in our thoughts and prayers every day.
Jul 14, 2008, 11:46 AM
Honey, I got more planes!
Hey Laine, keep up the awesome work there. Tough job, no doubt. Looking forward to meeting you when you get time state-side.

Stay safe brother! God speed!!!

Gary
Jul 14, 2008, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I'll be getting "a break" from the madness over here shortly. I go home on leave the 18th or 19th. Get to spend a few weeks with the family. Im really looking forward to it too.

Laine
Jul 14, 2008, 09:05 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Glad to see you're gonna get to come home for some family time, Laine. You deserve it. You guys are making us proud over there. Keep up the good work.

Btw, I have a big box of Bagram RC Club shirts on the way to Alabama for the Grose clan. We need to start posting pics of all the Bagram RC Club "members", eh?

Go Army!

Andy
Jul 24, 2008, 06:36 AM
My brother and I went to a Funeral of one of these Heros, VERY sad stuff. I keep thinking how God kept me safe, one shot and I could of been in the same situation.

Can you belive there were a bunch of war protesters yelling with signs! Good thing there were not many and just about every was booing them.

I got my brothers American Flag and starting waving it someone starting signing God Bless America and nearly everyone joined it. The whole thing was very moving.
Last edited by Lt.Smash; Jul 24, 2008 at 06:55 AM.
Aug 04, 2008, 10:00 AM
Interesting how we don't hear much news of these things Imopar, other than the quick read of a toll number. Also interesting that someone didn't seem to bring attention to wounded/kia on his trip to the region. Well I did some thinking about this lately, and came up with some surprising thoughts that I'm not wrong about or care to argue.

Being a guy with a WWII father and WWI grandfather, you probably know where I stand on the whole thing, and you guys are doing an essential job. I think I've completely figured out why liberals hate to congratulate you guys, and actually used to kick you guys just 30 years ago and even more recently: Because it automatically approves of what you are doing, and it should. Pretty selfish that they would at best ailenate you guys to further their cause, since they seem to understand that concept well.

Glad to see you're back! You've been over there too long.

Bill
Last edited by EDF30; Aug 04, 2008 at 10:59 AM.
Aug 11, 2008, 02:43 AM
Yelling makes talking fun
Hi Laine,

I'm currently deployed to Balad, Iraq, but I was in Bagram for a few days on a mission. I was at the pax terminal during the fallen comrade ceremony for those nine soldiers. I had been to two ceremonies previously, but that was up on the road. Being on the flightline is a much more somber and heart-wrenching experience. Sitting in the terminal for hours, you don't hear much details, only that there was a ceremony ... I expected one or two soldiers. But the trucks just kept coming. With every vehicle that passed, the knot in my stomach grew a bit tighter. There wasn't a dry eye in the crowd. It was a very sobering moment, and I feel honored to have been able to salute these heros.
Aug 20, 2008, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
Thanks ChinookMark for letting me know you were there and how it was for you guys on the other side of it.

Never fun, but, part of what we do.

Stay safe man.

Laine.
Sep 13, 2008, 08:14 AM

Done

yes, I do infact think about all you do .. a Lot, and appreciate the helloutta the fact you guys are the real heroes!.. thanks for the little reminder.

JimS

Quick Reply