Dec 20, 2009, 01:57 PM

Round shape

Thornberg thought it should look like this!

Alexander
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2009, 01:21 AM
Dale G......OZD
Yeah, that's what makes the BoT such a beauty...all the curves.

Dale
Dec 29, 2009, 05:31 PM
jh2rc97,

Very nice looking BOT. I have been considering getting this kit. Is the bolt on wing an option with the kit or is it your own design?
Dec 29, 2009, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
The bolt on wing is a mod that I did. It is not shown as an option and there are many ways to do it. My idea was to only use two bolts to hold the wing on.
Dec 30, 2009, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97 View Post
The bolt on wing is a mod that I did. It is not shown as an option and there are many ways to do it. My idea was to only use two bolts to hold the wing on.
That's a very innovative design. I prefer a only two bolts to hold the wing on as well. Do you have any more pictures of your wing bolt setup during construction and what material did you use for the mod?

I ordered a BOT today. I'm looking forward to the build.
Dec 30, 2009, 09:27 PM
Thread OP
I did not take any pictures of the wing during that part of the build. The tabs are 1/8" ply (5 layer) near the leading edge and 1/16" ply near the trailing edge. Scraps of balsa were also used to block up the tabs to the correct height.
Dec 30, 2009, 11:42 PM
Quote:
I did not take any pictures of the wing during that part of the build. The tabs are 1/8" ply (5 layer) near the leading edge and 1/16" ply near the trailing edge. Scraps of balsa were also used to block up the tabs to the correct height.
Thanks.
Dec 31, 2009, 02:41 AM
Dale G......OZD
Quote:
I noticed the plug in the root rib. For spoiler servos? What kind of plug did you use and how did you fasten it to the wing structure?

Dale
Dec 31, 2009, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
The plug at the root is for the spoilers. The idea was to only have one cable to plugin while bolting the wing on. I used 3-pin Deans connectors. Deans connectors are a tight fit so it is a good idea to plug and un-plug the pair you plan on using several times to get them to be alittle less tight. To get them lined up I get everything but the top sheeting on the center section of the wing done and side the halves together. Then I use alot of epoxy to hold them to the root rib and to the bottom sheeting.

Alan
Jan 04, 2010, 03:59 PM
Quote:
I am getting ready to build a Bird of Time kit from Dynaflite. Kit was bought about two years ago (3/28/06) from Tower Hobbies for $64.99. I plan on using an E-Flite 480 (910 Kv) brushless motor on the front for power. If it works out right I will be looking at the 1100mAh A123 cells to power the motor. One thing that I am worried about is the reports of the 1100mAh A123s failing open. I know the 2300s fail shorted which may push me towards using the 2300s. I have a CC PHX45 laying around but might get a PHX35 for this. I am thinking I will use Hitec HS82s for the elevator and rudder. For the spoilers I am thinking of an HS55 in each wing. I will be replacing the spars for CF and balsa spars. The wing will be bolt-on instead of rubber banded. For a radio I will use XPS 8 channel receiver and CC-BEC to power the receiver and servos. Or at least thatís the plan as of right now.
What size prop are you using?
Jan 04, 2010, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
12.5x7.5
Jan 05, 2010, 01:29 PM
Just a North Vegas flyer

jh2rc97... Lovely Plane!

Quote:
Here is a picture at the field before the first flight.
In this thead, I looked for a flight report... didn't find one, but sometimes I am not so sharp.

I just received my BOT, the ARF from Tower Hobbies. I couldn't turn down that $129 price together with a $15 discount(On a $150 order.) And I have that same Eflite 480 that yoiu used... which I would love to use in this plane but I was worried that it might not be quite strong enough.

What was your opinion on this motor utilization?
Jan 05, 2010, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I was able to get a few short test flights in yesterday. It needs more down thrust in the motor and some nose weight. It flies alittle too tail heavy for me. The spoilers only need to be opened alittle to drop it right out of the sky. Also the motor combo seems to work well. It will not pull vertical but will climb very well. In about 5-10 mph winds I also think a little ballast might be a good thing.

Alan
Here is the report of the first few flights. Since then I have not had a chance to get it back in the air. Hopefully it will warm up here soon.
Jan 05, 2010, 10:08 PM
Plane on the Brain
subscribed..

now searching the best way to put spoilers on the arf
Jan 09, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hi, I have 2 BOTs. One in the box (in kit form) and the 2nd one is a ARF, No test flight yet.

I too am looking for info on installing spoilers on the arf as well as on the kit.

Thank you

Quick Reply