Jun 11, 2009, 07:24 PM
RC Group therapist
Tram,
I'm having trouble understanding how a kit that was produced by Megamotor (at least as far back as Oct 17, 2006) for $90, is somehow now a great value for $145 now that it's being sold by Icare-Rc. I'm very happy that you've taken the time to do a timely review of such a fresh kit. I suppose any plublicity is good plublicity.
Regards,
-Mike
Last edited by Boneswamped; Jun 11, 2009 at 07:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2009, 01:32 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Quote:
Tram,
I'm having trouble understanding how a kit that was produced by Megamotor (at least as far back as Oct 17, 2006) for $90, is somehow now a great value for $145 now that it's being sold by Icare-Rc. I'm very happy that you've taken the time to do a timely review of such a fresh kit. I suppose any plublicity is good plublicity.
Regards,
-Mike
The BEST way to show your disapproval of the price of the kit is to not purchase it..

For what it's worth, Autogyro Company of Arizona is asking $179 for the kit..
Jun 12, 2009, 03:20 AM
Well.

Yesterday, I covered the 4 blades, the fuse and the elevator/rudder with Oracover.
I did a camo cover like a Spitfire ...

I order the kit here : http://www.d2air.at/index.php?templa...d=2126&search=

159€ for the Rainbow 4 blades with the Mega motor 400/15/7 + prop adapter + prop Aeronaut Glass

The rudder will be active on mine, with a small HS55

Rémi
Jul 13, 2009, 08:31 PM
Would the addition of a rudder make this gyro any funner to fly? I'm building one for a friend, and anything would be make it better or easier (ground handling) wise i'd like to implement it.
Jul 17, 2009, 01:08 AM
I bet a rudder would make it more fun to fly.. Does it need it? Nah..

Do it, let us know how it turned out!
Jul 17, 2009, 07:56 AM
Well its done.. with a rudder. I used a tower 9G servo for the rudder, as i dont think it'll need anymore torque than that.. heres a few pictures:

if the batteries arrive at the LHS today, it should have its maiden flight this weekend.
Jul 17, 2009, 08:16 AM
She looks good!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:48 PM
violetgs
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam).
Aug 10, 2009, 10:04 PM
After a few issues, finally got the rainbow flown. The rudder makes it a blast to fly, as crosswind takeoff's are possible, stall turns, etc.. makes it an absolute blast, while not having to tilt the rotor during power off decents. I would definitely recommend it as a "must do" on the model.
Aug 11, 2009, 01:14 AM
I just planted my Rainbow and need to do a little work on it.. I'll add the rudder..
May 22, 2010, 03:55 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Hi All,

I am raising this thread because I seem to find very limited info on this model.
I got mine from Jeti model. The assembly was easy and took me a few days. I placed the battery on top and the controller, Rx and MUI sensor at the bottom. A rudder servo is added as well.
Maiden flight was with a firm breeze+ handlaunch and went great!
2nd flight I might have stopped the blades (somehow ) the it fell down from 20 mtrs height. I modded the landing gear, placed balsa sticks in the blades.
Yesterday I made 3 more flights without any problems and I am having a blast with this gyro!! I really like it and for now I am having way more fun with this plane as the fixed wing prop planes I fly for 20 yrs (click on avatar for my blog )

Now the flying is fun and I am getting more familiar with the throttle/elevator/head movements and still flying at considerable height and 50-100% throttle for now. I have only one issue on this plane and I need some advice:

How do I get the rotor stopping from increasing rpm when landed in a moderate breeze?
Last flights I noticed I need to walk closer to the model when it is near landed to be able to stop the rotor from spinning but the last flight yesterday the rpm got very high and the Rainbow got airborne again and fell sideways. The blades are in tact due to the balsa sticks I added but this was a pretty scary event (and pretty risky as well so I am not too comfortable with this).

At this moment I think I must not reduce throttle after landing and lift the stab by down elevator to lower nick angle.
Is this the only option to reduce rotor rpm with this head?
An other option may be to add a carbon rod under the stab to get the same result...

I wasn't able to find this answer in the newbe tutorials. If there is info about take off and landings I'd be very happy to receive a link.

Best regards!
Erik (a very happy Gyro newbe )
May 22, 2010, 07:11 AM
I usually land with minimal power on...
May 22, 2010, 07:18 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Thx.
I think I will do this too today and turn off power when I stopped the rotor manually. Like this it is easier to take off if the rpm gets too high as well. I might have picked a windy day yesterday for this model...

greets!
Erik
Dec 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Ended up buying an outfitted Rainbow the other day from a local guy. Was a steal with all equipment, even including a Spektrum AR6115 RX, so it was a BnF for just $100.00... Could not pass it up. Was the four bladed version.

Put in two flights today, in spite of temps around 40F and winds 12mph and gusting more. Flew very nicely. All landings were zero forward speed, at about 1/4 throttle, with the wind.

Will add a working rudder, just for fun and for ground handling. Setup is a BP 2212 outrunner, 18 amp ESC, 3s1600 lipo, HS85 on rotor tilt/aileron and a HS81 on elevator.

Not much Rainbow discussion out there...anyone else flying one these days?
Latest blog entry: Event planning for 2018
Dec 30, 2012, 08:35 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Good to hear Thomas! Would love to see some video!
Joe

Quick Reply